SGOTM 02 - Geezers

Where is the autolog? I've had it switched on for the last few GOTMs/WOTMs but it's not done me any good as I've not been able to find which folder the file is stored in.

I like to make my notes myself using notepad. Some things I need to write myself anyway. Furthermore my game still slows down more and more the longer I play it. Once I alt+tab out of it and switch back the slowdown is gone and the game is back to normal speed again.

I just have installed the HOF mod for the last GOTM and have not used the autolog, yet. Is it as detailed as the logs we get here after uploading the save for the SGOTMs ? I really wouldn't like to have the details of each battle like it is given here.

DynamicSpirit said:
Where is the autolog? I've had it switched on for the last few GOTMs/WOTMs but it's not done me any good as I've not been able to find which folder the file is stored in.

In \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civ4\Autolog\ I think (I may have mangled some of that path, but you should be able to work it out from there)

Is it as detailed as the logs we get here after uploading the save for the SGOTMs ? I really wouldn't like to have the details of each battle like it is given here.
More so if you want it to be, as you can ask for more details to be logged ... or fewer. But it's just a text file, and so you can edit it to remove unwanted details. I wouldn't recommend using it as a raw turn log, but it can be used as a basis for your own turn log, relieving you of the need for a lot of manual logging.

AlanH said:
In \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civ4\Autolog\ I think (I may have mangled some of that path, but you should be able to work it out from there)

Found them, thanks!

AlanH said:
More so if you want it to be, as you can ask for more details to be logged ... or fewer. But it's just a text file, and so you can edit it to remove unwanted details. I wouldn't recommend using it as a raw turn log, but it can be used as a basis for your own turn log, relieving you of the need for a lot of manual logging.

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at it.

Thrallia said:
Now that we'll have the HOF mod for use in the game, you can turn on autolog and just hit alt+e and type in your comments as you go through your turns. It creates its own text file that you can then open and copy/paste into your posted summary. Then you don't need to deal with pen and paper, or with notepad.

I'm not sure how much of that is retained in the main Civ log. Besides I do all the tarting up and background stuff later. I can just use it to remind me when things happened.

Oh, by the way if posting the entire logs in your turn summaries can you please enclose them in Spoiler tags. That way the rest of us can choose to look at them or not. I second AlanH's comment about not just using the logs as your summary.

It will tell you who won a battle, if you want, but it won't tell you every single attack in each battle.

You can basically pick and choose what it logs for you, and the alt+e buttons give you a custom entry line. It brings up a prompt that you can type anything you want in and it will include it into the log.

on the subject of logs though, I think I saw you or Sam post some pics in which I saw some kind of internal civ log...how do you get to that? I've never been able to figure out how to show it even though I know civ must keep logs of its own.

edit: crossposted with sam...I agree that we shouldn't just use the logs for our summaries, that'd be somewhat dry and boring. I prefer reading the color that each player brings to their summaries :)

Thrallia said:
on the subject of logs though, I think I saw you or Sam post some pics in which I saw some kind of internal civ log...how do you get to that? I've never been able to figure out how to show it even though I know civ must keep logs of its own.

Click the icon above the research percentage. It looks like a pad and pencil. I think the autolog mostly extracts the data used in that log.

I have found the CIV Log to be handy in jogging my memory as to when religions, wonders and civics changes took place and what Civ has them. I am not competent enough yet to fully integrate the info into strategy but it has kept me from going down a research path that I might get from trade. Thanks for the Alt-E info. Another nugget of wisdom gained:cool:

Thrallia said:
yeah, that's notepad.

Now that we'll have the HOF mod for use in the game, you can turn on autolog and just hit alt+e and type in your comments as you go through your turns. It creates its own text file that you can then open and copy/paste into your posted summary. Then you don't need to deal with pen and paper, or with notepad.
Greetings from Gypsalia! No espionage today, just on holiday :lol: .

DynamicSpirit, Thrallia and Dagnabit are members that I've interacted with in the past, so I am always curious to see what you are posting (when it is legal, of course :D ).

The technical discussion here on the autolog is of interest. It is similar to a discussion of it around GOTM 12 (first HOF requried GOTM), and there are a couple of threads there I started (autolog in the title) with some details.

HOF .008 does not log the declarations of war. Also, if you change your mind about builds or techs by selecting and selecting again, I think it logs a "begin _____" for each one which will look odd at first. You can chose if you want 4000 to be turn 0 or turn 1 in options, and it makes sense for a team to do it all the same way to all have the same turn reference number.

The autolog will append to the last autolog file if you don't give it a unique name, so be sure to make a unique name for SGOTM3. I suppose that we will only have the autolog for our own turns, but does it make sense to attach the autolog file into some communication (PM or post) to the next player?

Lastly, the autolog can be set to plain text, a plain text file with HTML display instructions that color codes events (read in your browser), or a plain text file that has instructions for color that the forum will read. AlanH built a tool to convert forum style to HTML style, its in one of my threads.

As I recall, Thrallia was in on some of that discussion (sound familiar?). I'll have to try the alt+e to add to it directly.

I am wondering if the SGOTM subforum would benefit from a thread with a title like "HOF Mod user's manual" that would accept questions, and where people would be directed to existing threads that have the answer. If we have a lot of first time HOF mod users, it might be worthwhile.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, USA or elsewhere, and we will be sure to give thanks for our transcontinental friends! :goodjob:

dv

da_Vinci said:
Greetings from Gipsalia! No espionage today, just on holiday :lol: .

I suppose we could allow that, just during the lull before war between us breaks out on Dec 1st. :mischief:

da_Vinci said:
DynamicSpirit, Thrallia and Dagnabit are members that I've interacted with in the past, so I am always curious to see what you are posting (when it is legal, of course :D ).

I've just been glancing through the names and am surprised by how few I recognize. Got 22 out of the 130-odd. Perhaps because these days I confine my hanging out to the GOTM area.

Good points about the autolog, it's a good idea to agree on synchronizing the turn 0/1 date and on the autolog format. I guess it shouldn't be too hard to manually merge our different log files if they don't get passed around with the game. A week or so ago I did vaguely consider writing a little program to read the log files and display them in more friendly format, eg. allowing you to see events for any given city etc. But I decided there's no point me doing it as someone else will think of something like that soon anyway :)

DynamicSpirit said:
I suppose we could allow that, just during the lull before war between us breaks out on Dec 1st. :mischief:
I don't see it as war breaking out between us, as much as we wage competing wars in parallel universes! :D

But in any event, looks like the SGOTM 03 team threads will be out today. So the shroud of secrecy descends ... :eek:

Good luck to you guys (although slightly less luck than Gypsy Kings! :lol: ).

dV

Chokonuts just hit 1917 and aren't finished yet, so there's only three more that we need to keep an eye on for possibly finishing ahead of us: CDZ, Real Ms. Beyond and Smurkz. Smurkz should beat us unless they fail to finish in time.

Thrallia said:
Chokonuts just hit 1917 and aren't finished yet, so there's only three more that we need to keep an eye on for possibly finishing ahead of us: CDZ, Real Ms. Beyond and Smurkz. Smurkz should beat us unless they fail to finish in time.

I've been following their threads out of interest rather than because I was worried about who finished ahead of us. We know we won't get the wooden spoon. :lol:

However I wonder if Smurkz Chokonuts will hit the domination limit? :eek: They're only 0.5% under the territory limit apparently. Not really sure whether to hope they hit it. :evil: That would be probably be too unkind I suppose.

da_Vinci said:
I don't see it as war breaking out between us, as much as we wage competing wars in parallel universes! :D

But in any event, looks like the SGOTM 03 team threads will be out today. So the shroud of secrecy descends ... :eek:

Indeed. I'm guessing that we'll still be allowed to view each others' SGOTM02 threads, though I doubt many people will want to.

da_Vinci said:
Good luck to you guys (although slightly less luck than Gypsy Kings! :lol: ).

Of course. ;) And by way of return, being from the UK, may I quote from that most traditional of English football songs, Vindaloo:

"We're gonna score one more than you"

:mischief:

DynamicSpirit said:
Of course. ;) And by way of return, being from the UK, may I quote from that most traditional of English football songs, Vindaloo:

"We're gonna score one more than you"

:mischief:

Ack. A football (soccer to the US) supporter in our midst. :eek: :lol:

Top Bottom