• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

SGOTM 12 - ChokoMisfits

Hi guys! Thanks for the invitation to join up!

You're welcome! I was hoping you might like to play a Session Game and then I saw your sign-up. Just kept my fingers crossed, hoping you'd accept. Hey your welcome, from all of us!

I don't have any experience with succession games, but they sound like fun. I play mostly HoF games, so I tend to play a bit risky early on in my games. This has bit me in the rear in a few GOTM games. I'll try not to step on my crank!

Its great that you have some GOTM experience. All you need to learn is the Succession part of SGOTM.

Everyone else on the Team has had significant experience playing SGOTMs. We'll all help you with learning the rules and everything else that makes up a SGOTM. We do a lot of planning in the Team thread, but we won't start until all Teams are finalized and the official Team threads for SGOTM-13 are open. Until we complete SGOTM-13, we can't read any other Teams' SGOTM-13 thread.

If you have a lot of time on your hands:

You can try reading our SGOTM-11 thread (all old SGOTM threads, including all Team threads, are completely public); we didn't do too badly in SGOTM-11. You can also try reading One Short Straw's SGOTM-12 thread; they won that one; they probably have a good summary of how they won there.

You can ignore the above paragraph. We're just happy to have you aboard.

Sun Tzu Wu

Guys I can't confidentally commit the time over the next few months, I will lurk though and comment if I can.

Sorry, you won't have time to play.

If you want plan to comment in the Team thread, I believe you'll need to sign up as a lurker and then only view our Team thread. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sun Tzu Wu

Nice job there Sun. Ill make sure to make you all sweat more next time. It will take months for this to heal, just a bum of a injury. But it should not affect my playing time!

Wanting to better understand what you're going through, I looked up "Costochondritis". I can't imagine what it was like for you until the doctors were able to rule out a heart attack. Fortunately, the source of the excruciating pain is benign and resolves itself after many weeks or a few months of rest. Doctor's Orders: Get Well ASAP! No more jogging for at least a few months. ;)

So, we have no real idea on what the map is going to be.

Nothing more than what the SGOTM-13 announcement says and what DynamicSpirit has since revealed about it: epic speed, no vassals, no tribal villages, no events and all other options are default values.

BTW, Sun, saw the whole "debate". I am glad you were bringing up your points and you handled yourself very diplomatically. Others were fairly narrow-minded.

Thanks for your support. I stayed on topic, made clear my objections to the rules as they relate to test maps and I also clearly stated that my comments should not be construed as an offense to any past SGOTM winners who won games that complied with the rules I was disputing. I was simply amazed by how many people couldn't see that an argument against test games was not an attack on past SGOTM winners who used them and followed the rules faithfully. I never saw a community so energetic ... that was great to see, ... there were other things that weren't so great to see. Lessons learned.

Sun Tzu Wu

You can try reading our SGOTM-11 thread (all old SGOTM threads, including all Team threads, are completely public); we didn't do too badly in SGOTM-11. You can also try reading One Short Straw's SGOTM-12 thread; they won that one; they probably have a good summary of how they won there.

I didn't know I was going to be getting homework already!:lol:

I should be plenty of time to look these over.

I didn't know I was going to be getting homework already!:lol:

I should be plenty of time to look these over.

The SGOTM process can be as complex/detailed as you want it to be, depending on how much time you have available. Some teams get incredibly detailed, others are a bit more casual. We tend to be more to the casual end of the spectrum, but it depends on a lot of factors. The early game tends to get analyzed and tested in detail.

If you have time (or find that you enjoy reading past SGOTM threads), I recommend the various Murky Waters games. Tons of interesting stuff about Civ and some amazing game play.

For SGOTM13, I have created my test map and played up to the AD changeover. Already I see at least a dozen things I could have done significantly better. :hammer2: And of course the various cautionary aspects raised in the test game thread need to be kept in mind -- who knows if what I set up will be even remotely close to the actual game?

But I confirmed some things I was thinking about, and ran into a couple things I did not expect at all. So it has been a positive learning process. :)

If you have time (or find that you enjoy reading past SGOTM threads), I recommend the various Murky Waters games. Tons of interesting stuff about Civ and some amazing game play.

shulec, please do as haphazard1 suggests if you find it enjoyable. One Short Straw often has summaries of their game that just hits the highlights and may be well worth a look and definitely not as tedious as reading an entire Team game thread.

I guess the game doesn't start until Feb. 25th, so plenty of time to prepare.

We really can't discuss much as a Team, since that should wait till the Teams are finalized and the SGOTM Team threads are opened by AlanH.

Sun Tzu Wu

For SGOTM13, I have created my test map and played up to the AD changeover. Already I see at least a dozen things I could have done significantly better. :hammer2: And of course the various cautionary aspects raised in the test game thread need to be kept in mind -- who knows if what I set up will be even remotely close to the actual game?

But I confirmed some things I was thinking about, and ran into a couple things I did not expect at all. So it has been a positive learning process. :)

Great work haphazard1!

If anyone wants to do their own test game playing, they could create their own test game. Thinking about it, it might be better for each of us with the time to spare to create our own test game. If everyone has a different start position, including different opponent start positions, we can average the output we get for a little better prediction for the real game.

However, we should keep any non-obvious strategic ideas to ourselves until we can write about them in our SGOTM-13 thread. This thread could be read by many of our competitors, especially after I made such a "fuss" about test games. Hey, any spies out there? We know who you are!

Sun Tzu Wu

Now, adding to my costcochondritis (ugh) I've got the flu.

Downside is, I can't really talk
Upside is, I have no reason not to practice civ alot and post in the thread!

See kids, when you get old, stuff happens. Oh well.

My wife tried to feed me lunch. Silly her, she mixed up chili and gave me tomato sauce. (we make our own chili and sauce, so theyre kinda similiar looking when frozen).

ahhh, life!

Now, adding to my costcochondritis (ugh) I've got the flu.

Downside is, I can't really talk
Upside is, I have no reason not to practice civ alot and post in the thread!

See kids, when you get old, stuff happens. Oh well.

My wife tried to feed me lunch. Silly her, she mixed up chili and gave me tomato sauce. (we make our own chili and sauce, so theyre kinda similiar looking when frozen).

ahhh, life!

JerichoHill, get better my friend. Take care; play some Civ to get your mind off medical issues. Get plenty of rest, sleep, fluids and see your doctor ... ouch. Get over the flu real soon! (The costcochondritis will take care of itself over time.)

Sun Tzu Wu

Guys

Unfortunately I won't have time to play SGOTM-13.

I'm getting busier and busier with my job at the moment - especially concerning overseas business trips. I just got back from a trip to Belgium, but will only be home until Monday morning before I fly out to Switzerland for another trip. And then in the coming weeks and months I'll be travelling to Switzerland (again), Russia (again), Poland and Costa Rica ( :) ) amongst other places, so I won't have the time to commit to the game.

Indeed it is now over a year since I completed an individual Civ-IV game (XOTM, HOF, etc) - my other commitments have restricted my CIV-playing-time to just my ~1 per month SGOTM turnset since the end of 2009, and now I won't even have time for that.

It has been a great experience to be in the 2 teams - Chokonuts and ChokoMisfits - I have certainly learned a lot from all of you guys.

As you know, I'm a terrible warmonger, so I won't register as a lurker, and won't post any warmonger-ing advice in your SGOTM-13 thread during the live game. I will try to remember, however, to pay a visit to the thread in late June, to congratulate you all on your inevitable Gold Medal. ;)

Feel free to PM me any time if you want to discuss any non-SGOTM-13 stuff.

Good Luck!!!!!! :)

ianw1610,

Sorry to hear you will not have time to join us for this game. We will miss your thoughts and input. I hope the busy-ness with your job is a sign of success and prosperity, and not just running faster to stay in place (as seems all too common these days).

JerichoHill,

Your luck does not seem to be working of late. Take it easy for a while and I hope you feel much better soon.

Unfortunately I won't have time to play SGOTM-13.

We will miss your valuable input and expertise.

It has been a great experience to be in the 2 teams - Chokonuts and ChokoMisfits - I have certainly learned a lot from all of you guys.

I've had a great time playing with you on the ChokoMisfits Team. Hope you will be able to join us for SGOTM-14.

I will try to remember, however, to pay a visit to the thread in late June, to congratulate you all on your inevitable Gold Medal. ;)

We shall consider this a contract and hold you to it ;)

Sun Tzu Wu

I have a few procedural questions for SGOTM 13.

1. Can the game save be downloaded and opened by anyone other than the current player? (To evaluate for strategic analysis.) If so, I am sure playing the save if prohibited.

2. Can the current player load the save play one turn, save, and then leave the game, then return later (of course not reloading the previous turn) and play another turn, save, leave the game...?

3. Where can I get the session turn log (an example provided below) to post after I play my turn set? Does this require special settings in Buffy? If so, can someone walk me through it.

Here is your Session Turn Log from 950 BC to 725 BC:
Spoiler :

Turn 77, 950 BC: Catherine has completed The Oracle!
Turn 77, 950 BC: You have constructed The Oracle in Capital. Work has now begun on a Barracks.

Turn 78, 925 BC: You have discovered Civil Service!
Turn 78, 925 BC: The revolution has begun!!!
Turn 78, 925 BC: Catherine adopts Bureaucracy!
Turn 78, 925 BC: The anarchy is over! Your government is re-established.

Turn 79, 900 BC: You have discovered The Wheel!

Turn 80, 875 BC: Moe Berg (Great Spy) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 81, 850 BC: You have discovered Bronze Working!
Turn 81, 850 BC: Roosevelt's Golden Age has begun!!!

Turn 82, 825 BC: You have discovered Sailing!
Turn 82, 825 BC: Gandhi adopts Organized Religion!

Turn 83, 800 BC: You have discovered Archery!
Turn 83, 800 BC: The borders of Capital have expanded!

Turn 85, 750 BC: Capital will become unhappy on the next turn.
Turn 85, 750 BC: You have made peace with Gandhi!
Turn 85, 750 BC: Moscow will grow to size 2 on the next turn.

Turn 86, 725 BC: Copper Town has grown to size 2.
Turn 86, 725 BC: Gandhi won't trade Agriculture, Alphabet, Masonry, Polytheism, Pottery
Turn 86, 725 BC: Confucianism has spread in Capital.

@ Shulec

1. You can download the save to look at but can't do any irreversible actions. i.e move a unit.

2. Not sure on this but you can upload the save as much as you want. Just remember to dowload it before starting to play again and not from the save on your computer.

3. When you upload the save you can copy and paste the notes that will come up after you have submitted the save at the bottom of the screen. There is a buffy auto log that Sun Tzu Wu uses which I think you need to tick in one of the buffy files.

2. Not sure on this but you can upload the save as much as you want. Just remember to dowload it before starting to play again and not from the save on your computer.
You don't have to keep uploading the save if all you are doing is to save between your own sessions. You can continue from the last save on your computer as long as that is the last save made in the game by any player.
3. When you upload the save you can copy and paste the notes that will come up after you have submitted the save at the bottom of the screen. There is a buffy auto log that Sun Tzu Wu uses which I think you need to tick in one of the buffy files.
The submission system extracts the log from the save and lists the events that have occurred between the turn of previous submission and the latest turn, inclusive. The standard game logs key events and player comments. BUFFY adds more events if its logging is enabled.

Top Bottom