[BTS] SGOTM 24 Maintenance Thread - Sitting Bull

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
SGOTM 24 - Sitting Bull, Defender of the Trees

This thread gives you and the Staff somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff, about matters of general interest that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc., but please do not divulge information about your team's progress. Please subscribe to this thread so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds. If you need to raise specific issues concerning only your team, then please contact Zhary or AlanH by PM.

The team lists are at the end of this post.

"They claim this mother of ours, the Earth, for their own use, and fence their neighbors away from her, and deface her with their buildings and their refuse." - Chief Sitting Bull

"When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize that one cannot eat money." - Native American saying

Its time for you and your team to inherit the native american spirit and show yourself as a true enviromentalist. To do so you must force the rest of the world to run Enviromentalism for 100 turns! You may use carrot, whip or UN. It's up to you. Since 100 turns is an awfully long time there is an option to reduce that number to a minimum of 1 turn. This is done by sparing as many trees as you can.

The rules
  • After you change to Enviromentalism you are not allowed to change back.
  • At your first turn of enviromentalism, you can reduce the number of turns required by 2 for each forest preserve you have on your starting land as defined by the start screenshot.
  • At your first turn of enviromentalism, you can further reduce the number of turns required by 1 for every five forest preserves you have on other lands within your borders.
  • On the turn when you win the game you must still have at least the same number of forest preserves (not neceesary on the same locations) on both starting land and total. If you fail to achieve this your team will be graded behind teams who succeeded in keeping all their forests. If you expect to lose some preserves during this time you must state this in a pm to the mapmaker.
  • To claim the number of turns you need to force the world to run enviromentalist you must upload your save at the turn when you switch to Environmentalism, and post screenshots in your team thread of the preserves that will be counted.
  • If you are not using the UN to convince the AI to run enviromentalist we might ask you to post proof (screenshots, saves etc) that everyone is forced to do so for all turns and does not change back to another civic.

Your starting area
Click for a full size image

Game Options
Rivals: 6 AIs both friends and foes of the nature.
Difficulty: Emperor
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No vassal state, no goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings
Map: Modified fractal
Mapsize: Standard

Sitting Bull is Philosophical and Protective, and you start with Fishing and Agriculture.
The Philosophical trait gives +100% great people birth rate and double production speed of University

The Protective trait gives free City Garrison I and Drill I promotion for archery and gunpowder units and double production speed of Castle and Walls

Unique unit: Dog Soldier (replaces Axeman)
The Dog Soldier benefits from: base strength = 4, requires access to nothing, and 100% combat bonus against melee units. This compares with the Axeman which has: base strength = 5, requires access to copper or iron, and 50% combat bonus against melee units.

Unique Building: Totem Pole (replaces Monument)
Besides the +1 culture/turn of the monument, the totem pole gives +3XP to archery units built in the city.

=================================

Timetable

The team discussion threads for this game will open shortly.

The team starting saves will be available here on February 1st.

In order to give you plenty of time to complete this game, the completion deadline will be May 31st. Plan your game, and please avoid a last minute struggle to meet the deadline.
Please be warned, except in the event of cosmic catastrophes. THERE WILL BE NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.

Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the standard BUFFY-3.19.003 HoF mod. We do not propose to use the newer version of BUFFY, as it is not yet considered stable.

If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in BtS version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or you should create and update a separate copy. See also the note about Steam updates below.

Macintosh players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows software on their system.

• Steam
    If you play BtS using Steam, then your BtS will auto-update to a new version which is incompatible with those playing the DVD version. You will therefore need to install the Steam "beta" version to play this game. You can check whether your copy of BtS is compatible by downloading a SGOTM 21 starting save. If it loads OK in your copy of BtS, then you are ready to play.

• Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

Note, the usual GOTM restrictions apply: no replaying, no liberating cities to a civ you are at war with (except in peace deal), no subsidizing resource trades with AI, no goto mapping or flying camera, only 1 tech from Oracle/Liberalism.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.

• Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Current Sign-up Lists
The table below displays the current team lists. The number of players in each team is shown in brackets, as are non-playing advisers.

In case anyone is not aware, the start files are now available here.

Something funky when I selected team threads in the submission page. The table doesn't show up, and I get the below error message. Possibly mentions that team because it's first in the list, but it's there for all? (a loop?).

Spoiler :
Warning: fopen(http://forums.civfanatics.com/misc....m/threads/sgotm-24-dancing-bears.609662xxxxx/): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /home2/civgotm/public_html/submit/post_list.php on line 31

(the link is edited to prevent people clicking on it and getting in trouble, as it kept showing up (auto-links in the forum I guess)

Ah! Sorry, I didn't think to test that facility after the forums moved to XenForo. I'll dig around to see if there's a way to get that info, but please don't hold your breath!

OK, I think I've managed to make it work. There isn't an equivalent to the "Who posted" list from the old forum system, so I've scripted my own version for this purpose, by reading and counting posts in each thread. I've cached the results to avoid a long delay and a performance hit on the forums each time it's displayed. Please let me know if you spot any problems with it.

Yes jungle counts. Btw I think it is named forest preserve on jungles to.

Yes jungle counts. Btw I think it is named forest preserve on jungles to.

Surprising answer. This should have been clarified. You should have just said 'preserves' not forest preserves. It's odd to think of a jungle preserve as a forest preserve.

I'm all for having the need for clever players to figure things out, but this doesn't fall under that.

In pre-game discussion, you even made it worse by saying you were thinking of just counting forests only and changed to forest preserves so the workers have something do to. You never mention you were planning to count jungles.

Also in pre-game, 47 starting forests was discussed--again implying jungles don't count.

I would tend to agree with WT's assessment. After all the pre-game discussion of forests, and then there is this,
"SGOTM 24 - Sitting Bull, Defender of the Trees".

Well i certainly did not want to start something here, but i support Zhary's answer.
Worker action on forest & jungles is called preserve forest, and the finished improvement on jungle also forest preserve.

Which imo means the game description did nothing wrong.
For me this falls under testing / game knowledge, that jungles are handled like forests for preserves.
Same name, same effect in game.

+1 for what Chris says as well, jungle = trees.

For me this falls under testing / game knowledge,

If you thought that, then you would have/should have asked your question privately and planned to use your knowledge to your advantage. Zhary would then decide if the that knowledge is something everyone should have been told from the beginning. Which is where we are now.

Changing the subject somewhat its time for a different question. 'All the world must be running Environmentalism for 100 (-n) turns'. Does this include Barbarians?

No not the barbarians. Does they even have civics?

Well done to all the teams. Zhary tells me you have all met the challenges he set, and so I have configured the progress page to show you the final results and all the finishing stats.

I believe Zhary will be posting a Results thread shortly. He is far better qualified to comment on the choices made by the teams than I would be. And the current UK general election has been taking up all my time, making it impossible for me to keep track of your progress. It's clear that Prime Minister Theresa May is not a CivFanatic, and took absolutely no notice of my views on her extremely poor snap election timing.

Thanks for your time and effort hosting this great tradition, AlanH and Zhary. :goodjob:
It's clear that Prime Minister Theresa May is not a CivFanatic, and took absolutely no notice of my views on her extremely poor snap election timing.
In that case, I say, vote Corbyn for better food at your workshops!
:joke:

Is being in STRIKE for more than 1 turn allowed in SGOTM?
There has been some concern that going hugely negative :gold: per turn in exchange for losing some non-Settler units is unfair.
Spoiler :
You cannot use permanent strike. It's in the rules. 1 turn is fine. Otherwise considered an abuse.

There is also concern elsewhere on the forums that pillaging resources to stack hammers corrupts Space Race games. (By essentially building Space Parts before teching them to Launch a few turns faster)
Should the technique be added to the "disallowed/exploit" list?
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ategies-from-a-10-year-veteran.574724/page-29

Last edited:
There is also concern elsewhere on the forums that pillaging resources to stack hammers corrupts Space Race games. (By essentially building Space Parts before teching them to Launch a few turns faster)
Should the technique be added to the "disallowed/exploit" list?
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ategies-from-a-10-year-veteran.574724/page-29
I don't think so. Pillaging resources is a standard part of the game that comes with benefits and drawbacks, at least theoretically.

Top Bottom