1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM21 Lurker's Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by Deckhand, Jan 11, 2015.

1. GKey

GKey Emperor

It would be a concern, because teams with better planning and micro will be actually punished for their good planning and micro.

2. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

How so?

3. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

:hmm: Judging by the tasks revealed so far it looks like Catherine will be the last to be successfully wooed unless her task (b) is significantly easier than the other two. :eek:

4. Ronald

Ronald Emperor

Can somebody please help me and tell where I can find the revealed tasks?

Thanks

5. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

When a team buys a task I edit it into a post on page#1 of that teams thread

6. Jenarie

Jenarie Prince

Only four of the seven teams uploaded the requested Turn 60 save but to be fair the server was down when a lot of teams hit that point. I got bored and figured it would be interesting to load up each save and see what each team was up to at that first checkpoint...

All four teams have four cities at this point - the first three all in the same place but then variety for the fourth.

Fifth Element:
    Spoiler :
    Techs Known:
    Fishing/Wheel/Agriculture/Hunting/Mining
    Sailing/Animal Husbandry/Masonry
    Bronze Working
    Writing
    Researching: Alphabet (at 0%)

Misfit Gypsy Nuts:
    Met: Isabella/Spain, Shaka/Zululand, Willem/Netherlands, Elizabeth/England
    Spoiler :
    Techs Known:
    Fishing/Wheel/Agriculture/Hunting/Mining
    Sailing/Pottery/Animal Husbandry/Archery/Masonry
    Bronze Working
    Researching: Writing (in 1 turn)

Phoenix Rising:
    Met: Isabella/Spain, Elizabeth/England, Shaka/Zululand, Willem/Netherlands
    Spoiler :
    Techs Known:
    Fishing/Agriculture/Hunting/Mining
    Sailing/Animal Husbandry/Masonry
    Bronze Working
    Writing
    Researching: Mathematics (in 5+ turns)

Xteam:
    Met: Elizabeth/England, Willem/Netherlands, Shaka/Zululand
    Spoiler :
    Techs Known:
    Fishing/Wheel/Agriculture/Hunting/Mysticism/Mining
    Sailing/Pottery/Animal Husbandry/Archery/Polytheism/Masonry
    Priesthood/Bronze Working
    Writing
    Mathematics/Alphabet
    Researching: Code of Laws (at 0%)

Edit: Techs - Blue = not everyone has it, Purple = only team to have it
    The other three seem close but XTeam has an amazing tech lead at this point.

Attached Files:

7. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

XTeam has some seriously lengthy posts discussing their micro which may have something to do with this. I must say my eyes glazed over looking at them. Whether or not XTeam have the better overall strategy is a different discussion. ;)

8. Jenarie

Jenarie Prince

Completely agree! I was just commenting on the tech not the whole picture and just at that particular turn it seemed crazy how far out they got from the pack in that one thing. I thought at first they must have been the team that got the mine silver pop but they weren't. I'm guessing that is a tradeoff of some sort - if I'd measured some other random thing some other team might be ahead but just looked at what was easy for me to compare. :)

9. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

There are 3 important ways to get a tech lead in this game:

1. Build the Oracle
    2. Bulb Math with an early GS
    3. Research Alpha and trade techs

I think XTeam has done all of the above whereas PR and MGM have played a more basic approach of REX supported by trade routes from GLH. PD has done item 1 & 2 but are waiting to trade for Alpha. I think TSR has only done item 3.

Early tech lead is not necessarily decisive and when the other teams get Alpha they will catch up to some degree. In a long game early REX will have plenty of time to pay off.

10. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

XTeam has not yet built the Oracle - they're aiming for it ~T70, but I'm guessing they won't get it, based on when it went in the other games (to AI between T61 and T69 in the four games where the human team made no attempt). They researched math on T55 and bulbed alphabet T56 and then traded for 5 techs, giving them a nice tech lead at T60, but JAE did something similar T62. Only time will tell if XTeam's tech lead will last or be beneficial.

11. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

there are still some hidden clues and hidden problems in the game. I wouldn't bet on anyone yet.

12. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

I was a little surprised to read the following quote in the TSR thread, and I got a question about it:
    Which was the last sgotm that ended that way and how long ago was that?

13. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

SG9 was a Space Game. Long time ago.

It's uncertain if Mining Inc. will help with Cathy #1 and I'm sure that Sushi will not help.

Anyone care to guess top 3? I'm putting my :gold: on:

1. TSR. They popped silver and guessed rigth about the game length. They had a small set back going for early Alpha without sufficient scouting for AI trading partners. This delayed sailing and in the end they changed strategy and self researched this instead of waiting a few more turns to get it for free.
    2. PD. They guessed wrong about about the game length thinking that Astro (bulbed) was as far as they needed to tech. Thus GLH was whipped late. It will be close as always but I don't think they can catch TSR.
    3. XTeam. They made a very promising start with accurate micro and fast tech. Looking at previous games PR seems like the obvious choice for 3rd but they have been very late building granaries and I think that will cost them 3rd place. Many teams could be 3rd so why not put my money on my old team mates?

14. vranasm

vranasm Deity

wasn't corporations game not so far back then? like 2-3 sgotm's ago? It wasn't said specifically which corporations, but you had to have 2 or 3 not sure now (it was the America one?)

15. Seraiel

Seraiel If you want anything from I please ask in German

Looks like most teams (read TSR, PD and Phoenix Rising) are preparing for war. TSR goes Horse Archers and probably switches target from Shaka to Willem, after seeing that Shaka's one city was heavily defended.
    My status with PD was, that they're likely to get DoWed by Shaka, and Phoenix Rising is preparing a naval Sword invasion. Let's see how far they get with that. Willem in their game has a lot more troops than in the TSR-game, but the TSR-game is also a lot earlier.

16. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

The knowledge gap between teams between the teams is huge right now, don't you think? Scenario-wise, not civ skill :)

17. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Seems rather bad luck that JAE hasn't met Isabella or Mansa yet at close to turn 100; most other teams met them considerably earlier(around 60 for Isabella and around 70 for Mansa). Was there any difference in their play that could have influenced this?

18. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

MGN is still discussing the possibility of building Colossus. Who on their team will be the first to notice it was built last turnset?

And then there's PD - almost circumnavigated the globe with a workboat but don't know about the triple clams....

19. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

Oh wow. Just returned to the Forums after a well-deserved, long break and now I'm trying to play catch-up with all that has happened in the last two years around here :D

Quite a daring gamble by XTeam, oracling CS on Imm, won't you say so? :) Then again, if you're Pericles without marble, you either stay away from the Oracle altogether (the safe play) or you bet big. CoL just won't cut it, the opportunity cost of the three profoundly useless techs (you're CRE after all) plus Oracle hammers without much forest and stolen workers is just way too high. (I'm not sure I understand Duckweed's reasoning behind oracling Currency being more important than the GLH on this map. That was a bit of a letdown by the old team :( )

Then again, everyone built GLH in the end, so no surprises there. And as far as XTeam goes... a coastal capital with GLH and Currency pays off nicely in Bur even without too many tiles improved...

PR's thread is a fun read in any case but My's initial snapshot collection turns it into a masterpiece :lol: They're going really strong, despite their tech deficit compared to the oracle builders (XTeam, PD, Jag Älskar Er) at T78ish. (Just forgot to switch civics it seems... no HR no Bur :confused:) Will be interesting to see the other teams at that stage.

Great scenario and map, BSP and Deckhand :goodjob: Brilliant idea with Willem and his hints :thumbsup:

EDIT: I was thinking of doing some snapshot comparisons for my own amusement. Are all of you lurkers up-to-date with all team progressions or would you be interested in reading a post on it? :)

20. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

May as well go ahead and post here... PR has withdrawn due to Civ burnout, real life, and an overall lack of desire from some of our team to continue - myself included to be honest.

I havent read all of the lurker thread yet or looked at any other team threads, but I do see a few things regarding PRs game that I can answer.

We chose not to switch into Bur, that wasn't a mistake. Our capitol has low hammers and were just starting to work cottages there so the cost of anarchy wasn't worth the benefit of bureau. We intended to switch during our first golden age.

Pottery and granaries was a subject Mylene and I went back and forth on for awhile with me arguing that we should pursue them earlier and Mylene standing firm that we needed other things more. Im still not sure what would've been better. I still lean toward the earlier granaries but we were able to expand quicker and get some things done by delaying them. *shrug*

All in all it was a fun opening to the game and I did enjoy playing it, but the real grind of the mid and late game was starting to set in and in the end we just lacked the motivation to see things through.