SGOTM5 - Team tao

Everything looks good Furiey, but I would MM one citizen from the tundra forest to the fresh water and the non-BG grass to the fish for extra commerce. We will still get the barracks in one with the extra shields from growth.

2150 BC (0)
MM Moscow for more gold

2110 BC (1)
Warrior moves out of Moscow to protect worker from barbs. Lux raised to compensate.
IBT- Defeat barb in defense promoting to vet.

2070 BC (2)
We get a conscript warrior from the hut and reveal the location of the barb camp. Unit/building costs are killing our research rate (down to 40%), so I take the chance to send the conscript to attack the camp.

2030 BC (3)
Attack barb camp with conscript and lose without doing damage.
Our promoted vet warrior continues to explore east, while our second vet warrior (just built) goes north to disperse the camp.

1990 BC (4)
Continued exploration and movement. A couple workers move to the furs, and since our borders will soon expand I decide to road rather than colonize.

1950 BC (5)
Movement and exploration.

1910 BC (6)
Eastern warrior pops Warrior Code from a hut. Now that we have the backup of Heroic Epic, I start building Colossus.

1870 BC (7)
Movement toward the northern barb camp, and the end of the peninsula in the south-east.

1830 BC (8)
We disperse a barb camp getting a much needed 25g. Science is raised to take advantage of the gold.

1790 BC (9)
Movement reveals 3 barbs in the west. IIRC there can be only 1 camp per civ on the island, so these barbs were generated quickly or they have been wandering for awhile.

1750 BC (10)
Merge 1 worker into Moscow boosting size from 7 to 8 (we still have 4).

Post-Turn
I forgot to record the exact dates of Moscow's production, but the build sequence was barracks, worker, warrior, worker, warrior, Colossus.
Exploration has revealed more dead ends, so its rather safe to say we are alone on the island. There is another landmass visible to the South, but there is no way to know if it is inhabited yet.

Are the eastern and southern warrior still on their way out or coming back to defend Moscow and tile improvements (furs!) against the approaching barbs?

IMHO we should soon (after having mined the horses) merge 2 more workers into Moscow. And build 2(?) chariots before starting Great Lighthouse; probably disband the scout towards one of them.

I will leave later today and return on Tuesday evening GMT. If TedJackson plays soon, feel free to skip me. As long as you get the Great Lighthouse. ;)

Got it

Play later today.

Ted

SGOTM5_Tao 1750BC

Pre-flight checks... OK :thumbsup:

No changes, just press button

IBT
Horses online
Spot more barbs heading for Moscow (3 total)
Border expansion brings Furs online :)

1 - 1725BC
Reduce Lux to 10%
Warrior heads for unexplored NE
Warrior heads for Moscow
Worker road (2S Moscow)
Scout heads S

IBT
Barb arrives NW Moscow

2 - 1700BC
Vet Warrior kills barb
Lux 20% (loss of MP)
Warriors & Scout continue as before

IBT
Barb arrives 2SW Moscow

3 - 1675BC
Warrior kills barb
other units continue
Research 40% (Writing still due in 2 turns)

IBT
NTR

4 - 1650BC
No change

IBT
Discover Writing, start Map Making

5 - 1625BC
Scout scouts for Barbs
Warriors continue towards their destinations

IBT
Warrior fends off barb

6 - 1600BC
Workers carry on building roads

IBT

7 - 1575BC
Warrior arrives Moscow
Lux 10%
Can't shave any time off research until Moscow's pop increases

IBT
NTR

8 - 1550BC
Warriors scout for barbs

IBT
NTR

9 - 1525BC
Warriors scout for barbs

IBT
Warrior fends off barb Warrior

10 - 1500BC
Warriors Scout
Workers build roads

Notes
Not much happening, saw a few barbs and confiirmed that we are isolated :(
Firaxis score: 72
Jason score: 47

Moscow

Ted

Just ran across this post in the maintenance thread:
mad-bax said:
OK guys. This is important so you need to pay attention. I have completely messed up the PTW game. The bug affects the game from turn 1 and progressively disadvantages the AI throughout the game. The game saves can be fixed, but the AI will never recover, and the game will be very easy for you all, and certainly not comparable to the 1.29f game. I am gutted because it was a blunder that should never have got past me, and also because I like the map. I won't divulge what the actual bug is now in case we decide to continue to play the game.

The way I see it we have 3 options.

1. Fix the saves at 1000BC and play on with seperate awards for PTW and 1.29f.
2. Restart the game with you trying to rconstruct your game from your turnlogs.
3. Scrap the game and use an entirely new map.

It's a pity that this came up over a weekend as the forum traffic is so low.

If I were to be completely selfish, I would say we fix the saves at 1000BC and I give the AI some "help" and you continue to play. I will proceed on this basis.

Now one bug has surfaced I half expect the floodgates to open. I sincerely hope not however.

I will begin to fix the saves and make them available again by the end of the weekend hopefully. Those teams that have not played to 1000BC should do so.

I can only aplogise for this mistake, I feel awful about it. Just too many changes in one go. :(

I had intended to go ahead and skip tao since he won't be returning until Tuesday, but in the light of this, I'll probably wait until it's resolved. Given that its the weekend I wouldn't expect a resolution until Monday at the earliest.

Just looked at the save and I have a few thoughts:

1. By MM Moscow for shields, we still get growth in 1 and reduce the colossus build by one.

2. Counting the food, at size 12 with no other improvements, we can get 23 fpt, so the game will need chopped to sustain us at pop 12. The hill needs mined as well. I would merge three of the workers into Moscow to get it up to max once these tasks are complete. This needs done before we road any tiles that Moscow can't work.

3. After the colossus we need a few (3 or 4) chariots so we can actively seek out camps to help sustain a negative gpt research rate. And of course we should probably start a lighthouse prebuild ASAP. The heroic epic will take 12 turns to complete at pop 12 (18 spt) so that is our pre-build potential.

4. Once the colossus completes hopefully we can crank up research again. I don't like the fact that we're researching at minimum. We will most likely be several techs behind when we meet the ai if they have contacts, and we need every tech we can get (maybe lit for the great library next) for trading.

Edit: That granary is starting to kick in! Our firaxis score-line really headed north in the last turn set. :goodjob:

Well the answer was much faster than expected so I may pick it up later today:

mad-bax said:
OK. Yesterday and today I have been working on a way to get the games to near parity. I failed of course, but Alanh and I have mended the saves. Alan fixed the bug and I made a small change that I hope will balance the PTW and 1.29f versions of the game to some degree. I played a few tens of turns from one of your 1.29f saves and played to the same point from a fixed PTW save and compared the techs, units and improvements for the AI in each game. I was surprised at how similar they were in fact. This is not to say the games across software versions will be comparable, but hopefully the PTW game will now play the way it was designed.

Once again I can only apologise for my mistake, and hope that you can continue and enjoy the game.

1500 bc (pre-turn)
MM Moscow for max shields
Hit return

1475 bc (turn 1)
Warriors hunt for barb camps
Two workers to game forest for chop. Colossus in 4, chop due in six. Not the best use for the shields, but it will go to first chariot.
One worker to hill to mine.
Scout begins journey home to disband to reduce unti costs by 1 gpt to 4 gpt.
Moscow grows to pop nine. MM for growth, commerce, still get colossus in 4
Raise lux to 20% due to growth, now at +5 gpt, sci at minimum

1450 bc (turn 2)
Vet warrior N spies camp
Worker on hill starts mine

IBT: Barb appears to S near worker on hill

1425 bc (turn 3)
Disband scout
Worker completed roading tundra forest, moves to join worker on mining hill
Move vet warrior on MP duty in Moscow to hill. With lux at 20% he is no longer needed there anyway.
Warrior N moves next to barb camp

1400 bc (turn 4)
Vet warrior dispels barb camp N
Warrior W begins trip home just in case more barbs show up
Now at 68 gold and +6 gpt. Raise sci to 60% at -3 gpt to reduce time needed to research map making to 25.

IBT: Barb near workers on hill attacks vet warrior promoting him to elite. Another barb shows up to the west.

1375 bc (turn 5)
Moscow builds colossus < chariot
Warriors N and S fortify to heal 1 hp each
Warrior W now moves in possible direction of hut
Now at -2 gpt, map making in 20 thanks to the colossus

1350 bc (turn 6)
Warrior N explores, W and S look for camps

1325 bc (turn 7)
Moscow builds chariot < next
Chariot kills barb near Moscow

1300 bc (turn 8)
Chariot fortifies in Moscow for MP, barb protection
Warriors seek out huts

1275 bc (turn 9)
Moscow builds chariot < next
Two workers complete mining hill, move to Moscow to be joined next turn
Chariot moves out to seek camps
Growth due in Moscow in 1, MM for shields

1250 bc (turn 10)
Moscow grows, join two workers to take it up to pop 12 with max production at +17 spt (one corrupt) with zero growth.
Map making due in 12 turns, set heroic epic (12 turns) set as pre-build for lighthouse
Workers complete mining game, move into Moscow on their way to expanding our road network beyond the city radius
Warrior N kills barb
Warrior W finds camp
Warrior S seeks camp

Our world at 1250 bc:

Post-turn
There are three barb camps that I know of by barb movement. I located one and noted on my pic my guess as to the location of the other two. I was only able to squeeze in 2 chariots. I felt getting the lighthouse pre-build started — so that we can complete it and get our first galley out — was more important.

Playing order
Furiey (up next)
Zwingli
TedJackson
tao (skipped)
Demiurge (just played

No, not much else to do for the next 25 turns. The lighthouse will come in 23 turns, then the first galley. Judging by the fact that we haven't seen any barb galleys, no one else knows map making yet. Our science advisor tells us that we are only moderately advanced. So if we're lucky we should make our first contact inside of 40 turns from now...but it could be much longer. All those coastal tiles are going to slow us down alot.

On the plus side, Moscow now holds the number one slot in the Top Five Cities list. If we can only build one, looks like we're going to make it a good one. I meant to post this with my log earlier. So here's Moscow at 1250 bc:

Edit: Thinking way ahead, maybe the great library would be a good gamble. If we build it after a few galleys, we could shut off research for a while and then be able to afford to build quite a few galleys and chariots in preparation. That of course assumes that we can contact multiple ai's within 60 turns or so. When we could potentially complete the great library.

1250 BC(Turn 0): Look around, press button.

IBT: Galley approaches W barb near camp – get all excited until I realise it’s a barb Galley.

1225 BC(Turn 1): Warriors move towards camps – SE camp location is confirmed; Workers move to somewhere to road; Chariot moves to be able to protect Workers.

1200 BC(Turn 2): Disperse W barb camp for 25 gold; Warrior 3/4; Elite Warrior disperses SE camp for 25 gold; no Camp in N location, Chariot spots it on the southernmost of the 2 central mountains; Workers to unimproved tile by horses.

1175 BC(Turn 3): Fortify W Warrior to heal; N Warrior goes to tip where barb camp was thought to be anyway and spots land across the water – no sign of a Civ there though; Workers road; Elite Warrior N; Chariot can’t attack mountain camp of course, will have to get a Warrior there;

1150 BC(Turn 4): SE Warrior N; W Warrior N; N Warrior fortifies to heal; Chariot back towards Workers.

1125 BC(Turn 5): N Warrior S; W Warrior N; SE Warrior N; Worker go to find another tile to road; Chariot scouts for barb camps;

IBT: barb approaches N Warrior from S

1100 BC(Turn 6): N Warrior defeats barb (no injury, no promotion); W Warrior N; SE Warrior N; Workers road; Chariot scouts for barbs, finds barb Horseman and defeats it for no injury.

1075 BC(Turn 7): W Warrior N; N Warrior S; SE Warrior N; Chariot scouts.

1050 BC(Turn 8): W Warrior N (ish); N Warrior S – spots barb Horse on mountains to the W; SE Warrior W towards roads; Workers complete road and go find somewhere else.

IBT: Barb Horse dies attacking our Warrior (no injury, no promotion)

1025 BC(Turn 9): N Warrior W to find where Horse came from; W Narrior NE; E Warrior onto roads – will go for the barb camp we know about; Workers onto tile to road; Chariot scouts round Workers.

IBT: Barb approaches Moscow from SW

1000 BC(Turn 10): N Warrior W to mountain where barb Horse was first spotted (no camp visible); chariot heads for barb near Moscow; W warrior to Mountain; Workers road; Elite Warrior moves on roads towards camp.

Treasury: 80 gold, - 2 gpt, Map Making due in 2, Heroic Epic prebuild in 2; Science 60%, Lux 20%

Post-turn: quick 10 turns, but there are now barb Galleys and Horsemen about. Heroic Epic is still due the same turn as we complete Mapmaking so would have to be switched via the big picture. With the money from the barb camps we could up research to 70% to get Map Making in 1 though.

Barb camp locations: (edit: pic taken after I played about and upped research)

The Save

Zwingli (up next)
TedJackson
tao
Demiurge
Furiey (just played)

Zwingli posted that he would be without civ access from the 25th to the 28th inclusive, so he will not be available to play today. If you want (have time) to pick up another 10 today or tomorrow Ted I think that would be O.K. Zwingli can pick up his turns on Monday or later — even if you can't play till Monday — since he's way across the pond and then some from you. We can return to the normal rotation on Tuesday when tao returns.

Ah yes - I'd forgotten about that, hopefully Ted can play and Zwingli pick it up and play when he gets access and before tao returns.

We're running out of things to do with the workers in our territory. I suppose there are several things we could do with them:
  • build an access road around our island to allow us to hunt the barb camps more quickly
  • road out to likely landing/settling sites so that when Civs do land we have easy access to their cities and they will be connected to our territory as soon as we capture them
  • Impove the tiles around the landing sites so that the cities will grow/develop to the size that we can capture them without auto razing quickly. This will also mean that the city will be more useful to us more quickly once we capture it.
I suppose this raises the question of exactly how we treat the first landing - capture it as soon as it won't auto raze; or wait for it to produce another Settler. I'm inclined towards the former, as once the empty land is known about by the AI they'll send Settler after Settler to try and claim it, and the sooner we get that second city on line the better. I'm not sure how much we'll be able to encourage the AI to settle where we want them to settle though.

Well we shouldn't need to set up future city sites since the world should be ours by then. ;)

I do like the way your thinking. Roading to and improving potential sites seems the best way to go. It also gets roads laid down to troop loading areas of our landmass. It may be faster to have troops meet galleys instead of letting them trek through all that coast again and again.

As far as research. At 80%, the max we can afford, we get:
Polytheism = 14 turns
Literature = 11 turns
Code of Laws = 11 turns

I surmise that philosophy, iron working, masonry and horseback riding are known by the ai since they are relatively cheap to research. Mathematics might be known as well.

Since researching techs known by the ai seems useless at this point, unless it gets us a government, I see the following choices:

1. We research polytheism towards monarchy next.

2. We research literature for a great library pre-build and turn research off. When we do meet the ai, we hopefully slingshot into the MA and learn a government, in addition to having a supply of troops and cash for upgrades on hand.

3. We research code of laws toward republic. This would let us to get the most benefit from the colossus in addition to the commercial benefits of republic.

4. A combination of 2 and 3, building the great library and continuing to research at max until republic is known.

Great Library I think we'll have to go for - we only have so much stuff we can build and units we can support with only one city, so might as well build a useful Wonder, I think it would be dangerous to cut back on research completely. But do we go for Republic or Monarchy?

In monarchy we'll get 4 free units with our one city, not much saved. It will reduce our unit support to 0, but we'll have more units eventually so we will be paying for troops either way.

Monarchy: 4 gpt of unit support for a city, plus 13 gpt when the despotism penalty is removed because of the colossus, add the 29 gpt currently and our total commerce potential is 46 gpt.

Republic: 13 gpt in additional commerce, plus 13 gpt for collossus, plus 29 gpt currently. Total 55 gpt.

Based on our current situation, that's the short term outlook. In the long run one would hope we will get much more than 4 gpt of commerce from captured cities. What we would get of unit support from monarchy.

Personally I rarely go for monarchy lately because in most situations the added commerce from republic seems to help more. As long as we maintain oscillating wars, weariness will not be a problem.

Top Bottom