SGOTM5 - Team tao

Just to let you know: I'm back a day early. Nice progress we made. I will look at the saves and discussions to learn what I missed.

My thoughts on the affairs and state of the world:

We are committed to finish map making and the Great Lighthouse. IMHO we will then build 3(?) galley to explore the seas. And we will learn which of the screnarios is true.

Scenario 1:
The other civs are 1 or 2 each on small continents without contact. They are technologically backward and we can kill them "easily". IMHO not an extremely likely scenario.

Scenario 2:
The other civs are on a circular continent (or string of continents) around us. Either they all know each other, or are at most 3 groups. Because of the contact, they are technologically advanced.

In this case, there are 2 threats to deal with:

1. they most likely have started Wonder building, and know literature once one of them finishes The Pyramids; i.e. casacade to Great Library and we have little chance to get it.

2. massive barabrian uprisings, with 3 camps on our continent, we will face 3x8 horsemen. Even if we have started Graet Library, the work on it will most likely be destroyed. And the tile improvements will be pillaged, wrecking our production.

Thus I advocate to finish Great Lighthouse and afterwards strengthen our military: research horseback riding, upgrade chariots, disband scout, build 2-3 spears.

Details most likely will emerge as the game progresses.

tao said:
1. they most likely have started Wonder building, and know literature once one of them finishes The Pyramids; i.e. casacade to Great Library and we have little chance to get it.
I could be wrong but I would suspect otherwise. We haven't seen a pop-up saying that anyone started a wonder build yet and I'm almost positive you see those even for civs you haven't met. The F7 screen shows us that no one else has started one either although I'm not so sure that screen shows civs you haven't met.

This tells us a couple things. One, the great library still might be a viable build. And two, no ai has five cities yet. Things must be crowded out there.

Demiurge said:
I could be wrong but I would suspect otherwise. We haven't seen a pop-up saying that anyone started a wonder build yet and I'm almost positive you see those even for civs you haven't met. The F7 screen shows us that no one else has started one either although I'm not so sure that screen shows civs you haven't met.
Both things only happen, once you have established contact with the respecitive civ.

This tells us a couple things. One, the great library still might be a viable build. And two, no ai has five cities yet.
Why? :confused:

As I'm wrong on the first point I may be wrong on the second as well. Again its my been my experience that the ai does not start building wonders until they have 5 cities or more.

So, basing my decision on what are probably both inaccurate assumptions, the great library would not be a viable build. :)

1000 BC (0)
Raise science to get Mapmaking earlier, move a chariot to protect our furs and raise lux tax to compensate.

IBT- Fortified chariot beats warrior in defense. We learn Mapmaking and start Code of Laws at maximum science.

975 BC (1)
Move toward suspected camp locations.

900 BC (4)
Defeat another barb warrior in defense, then take out a camp for +25g. Science continues to run at maximum, depending on loot to maintain the deficit.

850 BC (6)
Destroy southern barb camp for +25g.

825 BC (7)
IBT- Complete Great Lighthouse and start galley due in 2.

800 BC (8)
Take out another camp +25g. Workers are roading West under the watch of a roving chariot.

750 BC (10)
Kill another barb warrior and spot the next camp in the west. No clues on the location of any other camps.

Post-Turn
After Code of Laws we might want to reseach Horseback Riding for horsemen or continue reseach toward Republic. Moscow can build a horseman in 2 turns, which is the same as a chariot (we are likely to get Horseback riding cheap if we meet any other civs though). If we can destroy 3 barb camps every 10 turns, we will be able to maintain maximal research.

Attachments

• SGOTM5_750bc_map.jpg
    SGOTM5_750bc_map.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 120
Got it

Ted

SGM05_Tao 750BC

Pre-flight checks... OK :thumbsup:

Press button...

1 - 730BC
Galley heads SE
Warriors scout

IBT
Discover CoL, start HBR
Moscow Galley, Galley
Reports of a massive Barbarian uprising near Moscow!

2 - 710BC
Workers head back toward Moscow
Chariot spots Barb horse to the SW of Moscow
Warriors scout
Galleys explore

IBT
Roving Chariot fends off barb Horse
Northern Warrior fends off 4 barb Horse before succumbing to overwhelming odds
8 Barb Horse appear 2S of Roving Chariot

3 - 690BC
Roving Chariot fortifies on hill
Workers start mountain road 1N, 2NW Moscow
Galleys explore
Warriors scout

IBT
NW Warrior killed by barb horse
Roving Chariot kills 2 Barb horse & promotes to elite. Defeats a further 5 barb horse before falling to the last invader :(
Moscow Galley, Chariot
Kyoto (Japan) completes Oracle

4 - 670BC
Galleys explore

IBT
3 Barb Horse arrive 2N Moscow
Barb Horse arrives 1NW, 2W Moscow

5 - 650BC
Chariot kills Barb horse
Galleys explore - spot land to the East

IBT
Barb horse kill workers & guard
Barb Horse pillages road
Moscow Chariot, Chariot

6 - 630BC
Chariot kills Barb horse
Galleys explore

IBT
Barb horsemen approach Moscow

7 - 610BC
Chariot kills Barb horse
Galleys explore

IBT
Warrior (Moscow) fends off Barb horse
Discover HBR, Philosophy
The people love me!

8 - 590BC
Upgrade Chariots to Horsemen
Elite Warrior kills barb horse
Research 50%

IBT
Moscow Horse, Horse

9 - 570BC
Horse kills barb Warrior
2 Horse head SW to find barb camp

IBT
NTR

10 - 550BC
Horsemen spot Barb camp on the coast, SW of Moscow
Horseman rides North searching for Barb camp
Galleys explore

Notes
Still no contact with AI. Hopefully this will change over the next 10-20 turns.

Era change uprisings mean that we're quite a long way behind in tech.

There is still a full complement of barb Horsemen near the Barb camp in the Northwest.

Moscow

The East

The Northwest

Firaxis score: 101
Jason score: 66

Ted

Got it and will play later today. (IMHO it was not very smart allowing our workers to get killed.)

I started my turns and ran into a bug crashing my Mac, once I contacted 4 civs. AlanH was able to provide a solutuion, already privately requested by Mad-Bax:
In /Art/Flics/ make copies of the following files and rename them as listed:

copy To_01.flc To_B01.flc
copy To_02.flc To_B02.flc
copy Jo_01.flc Jo_B01.flc
copy Jo_02.flc Jo_B02.flc
copy Mn_01.flc Mn_B01.flc
copy Mn_02.flc Mn_B02.flc
copy Mo_01.flc Mo_D01.flc
copy Mo_02.flc Mo_D02.flc
This solved it.

I started a heavy trading session and made all contacts. A tremendeous amount of Wonder building is happening: say good-buy to building The Great Library. Some AIs are already in the Middle Ages.

I will now get some sleep and continue tomorrow, leaving you in suspense. ;)

I've written a batch file that will save you the typing. Just unzip >>THIS<< file into your civilization root directory and double click on it. This is for PC users only. Mac users should copy the files manually or contact Alanh for a simple script.

0: 550bc: checking save; everything fine; I will use the following names: galley1 in the northwest, galley2 in the "far east", galley3 in the east

IBT violet borders appear on the eastern island; Iroquois?

1: 530bc: Moscow b horseman s harbor; horse disbands western Phoenician barb camp getting 25g; northern horse moves on mountain and sees barb camp
galley1 finds Spanish town of Santiago
galley3 finds Iroquois town of Akwesasne on eastern island and French galley
galley2 finds Japanese town of Tokyo in the far east

Iroquois know Aztecs, Arabs, French, Keltoi, English, Vikings, Zulu, Chinese, Mongols; French, Japanese have same contacts
Spanish know Egyptians, Americans
France, Iroquois, Japan know masonry, iron working, philosophy, literature, polytheism
Spain knows masonry, iron working, lacks code of laws, map making
number of cities (in addition to capital)
France: 7
Iroquois: 10
Japan: 5
Spain: 5
contacting Japan crashes the game; contacting AlanH solves the problem

get wm, iron working from from Spain for col, 2g; there is iron west of out furs (45 turns till culture expansion, or colony)

2: 510bc: disband barb camp in the north for 25g; barb comes from the southeast
contact Egpyt getting contact with America for col, 12g
Abe has contact w India, knows masonry, philosophy
let the deals begin:
America gives contact w India, philosophy, wm, 1g for contact w Iroquois
India gives masonry, wm, 30g for philosophy
Spain gives 58g, wm, for philosophy
Egypt gives 55g, tm for philosophy
India gives 54g for contact w Spain
Egypt gives 138g, wm for contact w India, philosophy
We now have all techs, contacts, maps from the northern group of civs. Iroquois know America and thus will contact the other civs soon, hence no reason not to trade contacts.

We evaluate the price Tokugawa puts on the contacts:
Aztecs: 69g
Arabs: 106g
Keltoi: 77g
English: 98g
Vikings: 84g
Zulu: 84g
China: 69g
Mongols: 56g​
Japan gives contact w Arabs, tm for contact w America, 1g.
Arabs give contact w Keltoi, tm for contact w America, 1g
Keltoi give contact w English, 1g for contact w America
England gives contact w China, tm for contact w America, 2g
China gives contact w Vikings, 1g for contact w America
Vikings give contact w Zulu, 3g for contact w America
Zulu give contact w Aztecs, 2g for contact w America
Aztecs give contact w Mongols, 9g for contact w America
Mongols give tm for contact w America

Observation: Iroquois, Vikings are monarchy, England, France anarchy; nobody has republic. Thus let's trade for monarchy.

Iroquois give polytheism, literature for contact w Egypt, Spain, 21g
France gives monarchy, mathematics, 58g, tm for contact w America, Egypt, India, Spain, wm
England gives construction, 2g for contact w Egypt, India, Spain, wm
Arabs give currency, wm, 12g for monarchy, contact w Egypt, Spain, India
We enter Middle Ages and learn monotheism.
We are tech leader (nobody but us has a MA tech) and start min research on engineering, before we get the missing maps and all AI cash.
Japan gives 98g for contact w Egypt, India, Spain
Keltoi give wm, 42g for currency
Mongols give wm for currency
Aztecs give wm, 3g for tm
America gives wm, 38g for currency
Vikings give wm, 5g for contact w Spain
Zulu, China, Mongols give wm for tm
Iroquois give wm, 33g for contact w India, tm
We now have 606g and apart from England, France, and Japan all wms.

World ranking is as follows:
Iroquois: 227
India: 227
America: 227
France: 218
Arabs: 180
Egypt: 178
Zulu: 177
Japan: 170
Vikings: 160
Keltoi: 160
England: 156
Spain: 149
China: 148
Aztecs: 138
Mongols: 131
Russia: 102​
Our culture is strong compared to the AIs

Now we have to start some wars among the AIs.

Establish embassies in Delhi (55g), declare war on America, sign-up India for ?????

Establish embassy in Madrid (61g), declare war on Egypt, sign-up Spain for math, literature, contact w Keltoi, Mongols.

Establish embassy in Makkah (57g), Paris (58g), Kyoto (87g), Tenochtitlan (65g), Entremont (47g), declare war on Iroquois, sign-up Japan for monarchy, Aztecs for currency, Keltoi for wm, construction.

Establish embassy in Beijing (49g), declare war on Zulu, sign-up China for currency, contact w Spain.

Revolt to monarchy (IMHO better than republic for us, because of the military police); we get 3 turns of anarchy.

IBT French drop settler, spear on eastern island, 2 barb horses approach from the north.

3: 490bc: horse kills barb horse, returns to mountain; galleys sail, Moscow riots (of course).

IBT barb horse attacks ours, promotes it to elite, and dies.

4: 470bc: mm Moscow to stop rioting, galleys sail, horse protects weakened elite

5: 450bc: monarchy established; mm Moscow; horse kills barb approaching from the southeast
Arabs give wm for tm
France gives wm, 9g for wm
Aztecs give tm for tm
Japan, Mongols, Spain give wm for tm
Vikings give wm, 1g for tm
arggh: I forgot to close the India alliance; sign ma vs America with India giving monarchy, construction, wm

6: 430bc: zzzz

7: 410bc: horse sees 2 barb horsemen in the north; India has founded Hyderabad in the north of our continent
Arabs give 20g, wm for wm
India gives wm, 3g for wm
France gives wm, 5g for wm

IBT horse defeats barb horse, is killed by second :(

8: 390bc: mm Moscow for commerce

9: 370bc: Moscow b harbor s horseman; mm
disperse Vandal camp in the southeast getting 25g; send horse west to barb camp, moves on mountain, sees barb warrior

IBT in the north barb horse dies attacking ours fortified on mountain; in the west warrior dies attacking our horse on mountain

10: 350bc: galleys sail, mm Moscow for food

Next turn, Moscow can be micromanaged to grow and build worker in 1 turn; I suggest roading the forest WNW before going to the iron. I checked (more correct: Civ Assist checked) each turn, whether workers were for sale, but they were not.

Our galleys will soon start to shuffle troops. Build some warriors for upgrade to swords? Maybe a good idea.

We are the only one knowing monotheism; I did not want to trade it away before putting quite some min research turns into engineering.

I did not hunt for goody huts, because in the Middle Ages they only bring 25g, no techs.

Firaxis score 106, Jason score 69

Demiurge (next)
Furiey
Zwingli
TedJackson
tao (just played)

PS: I attach a zip archive with the screenshots from establishing the embassies (except for Makkah which was building a spear and doesn't fit in the 500kb attachment size limit).

Excellent news on the contact trading tao :thumbsup:

It appears that there are 2 main AI continents, and I would first focus on the one where the Pyramids are built. Our first priority should be to conquer 1 town on the other continent and immediately start prebuilding the Forbidden Palace. Since it will (unavoidably) be low rank, corruption should be ~50% at first allowing a second core in a reasonable amount of time. A town on another continent would also allow slave trading with more civs (in order to trade workers, we have to have a city on the same continent as the AI).

Zwingli said:
(in order to trade workers, we have to have a city on the same continent as the AI).
Now I understand why Civ Assist reports 0 workers tradable by India (who have a town on our continent), but has an empty entry for all other civs.

Got it.
Contact at last. Turn 2 must have been a long one. Tech parity, maps...the list goes on. :goodjob:
Will play tomorrow as there is a lot of new information to digest.

That was quite a trading session - I think when this game is over I might go back to those turns and have a look myself. This is an area I know I could improve in.

This is certainly an interesting map. I've noticed one 1tile island, I wonder how many more there will be. They could cause trouble though - unless we block them somehow we won't be able to get an early conquest date.

Couldn't help myself, looked over the save and played anyway.

350 bc (pre-turn)
Hit return

IBT: Mongols are building the Great Library
Barb horse attacks horse fortified on mountain, dies
Another barb appears at same location

330 bc (turn 1)
Moscow builds horse < worker
MM Moscow for 10 shields, max growth
Not sure what to do with the galleys. Everyone is still building wonders and, given what we know by our embassies, the Aztecs are the closest to completing one, the great library. Decide to position the galleys at the southernmost point of our landmass where they can go to two possible troop loading points.
Horses scout out barbs
Go through civs to check for workers, that's a long list
Decide to leave sci at minimum for a while to bank gold for warrior upgrades
Leave lux at 20% to increase score since we can afford it for a little while

IBT: Barb horse dies attacking fortified horse in the N, another barb horse appears, Indians are building the Hanging Gardens

310 bc (turn 2)
Moscow builds worker < warrior
MM Moscow for 10 spt
Elite horse disbands barb camp near iron
Worker moves to workable tundra forest to repair pillaged road

IBT: Iroquois and Aztecs sign a peace treaty. Barb horse redlines fortified horse and dies promoting him to elite

290 bc (turn 3)
Moscow builds warrior < next
Horses roam
Look through civs to see if we can get any more wars started to slow tech pace. We are up construction still on a few but we already have MAs with those civs. We don't want to give away monotheism yet so nothing to be done.

270 bc (turn 4)
Moscow builds warrior < next
Move a couple of horses in to let new camps spring up
Aztecs, Arabs, France and India know Republic

IBT: Egypt and Arabs have signed a peace treaty

250 bc (turn 5)
Moscow builds warrior < worker. Growth in one
Elite horse kills barb warrior

IBT: Aztecs city of Tenochtitlan completes great library

230 bc (turn 6)
Moscow builds worker < warrior
Elite horse destroys camp
Worker joins worker on tundra forest

IBT: Paris has completed the Pyramids

210 bc (turn 7)
Moscow builds warrior < galley, MM for 16 spt
Since we now have our first victim, begin moving galleys to nearest crossing point
Horse N spies an Indian settler pair
Begin moving horses closer towards Moscow for possible transport

190 bc (turn 8)
MM Moscow for 14 spt, still get galley in one
Workers complete road, one moves to iron, one moves to road toward loading area

170 bc (turn 9)
Moscow builds galley < warrior, MM for 16 spt

IBT: Japan and Iroquois have signed a peace treaty. Barb horse dies attacking our elite horse N

150 bc (turn 10)
MM Moscow for 14 spt

Post-turn:
I left a worker ready to either road or build a colony on the iron. We have 20 turns until Moscow expands again and claims them. We now have 6 warriors, 4 horses and we will have 5 galleys next turn. We are still up monotheism on everyone but I'm not sure for how much longer. In addition we are up monarchy and construction on the Chinese and Mongols. It might be time soon to start up some wars again. Against the French to soften them up? There is a barb camp on the NW peninsula and one near the Indian city to the N although the Indians should settle that in a turn or two.

We have MAs with:
Keltoi, 2 turns against Iroquois
China, 2 turns against Zulu
India, 5 turns against Americans

With a large map and the necessity to regrow captured cities, the Pyramids will be an important Wonder. Therefore, it would be a good idea to go after France first. All of the coast squares around Moscow will make galley movement there problematic, so we should set up a transit point on a more exposed position. Roading the indicated tiles would set up a 3 turn transit to the shore of Tours where we could start the FP and begin the conquest of the second continent.
Transit Map

Top Bottom