Shadow Game: Prince, Justinian

Testiethree

Warlord
yep. not sure if i should wait before i go or not... so i'll just wait. kind of a crappy start, no production or lux resources... idk. I'm thinking about settling 1e. i'll move my warrior to the hill(not the one with the hut) and see what we got. LETS KICK SOME ***

Attachments

• Alex BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2012-07-30_00003.jpg
    2012-07-30_00003.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 2012-07-30_00004.jpg
    2012-07-30_00004.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 152
Roll a new start...random leader. Non -seafood start. This is not a terrible start by any means, but fishing starts can have tricky openings especially with leaders that have less than stellar starting techs. I'd rather not go there just yet. Also, preferably no huts/no events.

Why move east? Plains Hill is nice to settle on, you'd lose the Clams if you move, and that grassland looks like a decent candidate to pop a resource.

Testie...I've mentioned BUG mod to you several times, but have received no acknowledgement of it nor does it appear that you've tried to use it.

This is not a terrible start by any means

No, once he scouts the surrounding land he'll see that this is a terrible start by all means.

Spoiler :
Semi-isolated on a desert peninsula and easily boxed in by our lone neighbor, and oh by the way it's Shaka.

There's a lot the OP has to face here. If Shaka isn't dealt with, he'll expand to the great land to the south and be basically unstoppable, but when the player deals with Shaka he's isolated. Meanwhile, the other continent in my brief playthrough seemed to be teching ridiculously quicky; the AP went in 200 BC, which seems insane on Prince.

I think this map would make a good exercise, but if OP is struggling with Prince, he'll probably find this one far, far too tricky.

lymond, i have used bug mod before. it is very helpful, but i recently bought the steam version and i'm not sure if that all works together. i'll download it asap and see if i can do it.
i'll start a new game after work.

Optimum and completely unguessable way of playing it.

Spoiler :

Hut south of the capital popped mining at turn 2. I continued bronzeworking and put down the slider after bronzeworking to upgrade 2 warriors. I dispensed with barracks, workboats, or more than 1 worker.

Declared war in 2320 BC with 4 axes and 1 warrior. Holy city hill capitol had 3 archers. When I moved to take the warror defended brand new second city, shaka put one of the archers on the hill to the north, in reach of 2 axes, and send another archer somewhere off to the south, while I was returning with my axes, so I lost only one axe total.

Trying to play this in the normal way, you might have to go axes/catapults, wich would be about as hard as doing that on emperor with a normal start, thanks to the extremely lame land.

now it's an easy prince start :)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot1009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1009.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 288
i should just be able to drop it in the mod folder right?

Install it in custom assets using the single player option on the executable version. However, with Steam you may have to direct the installation to the right folder. If installed in custom assets, it simply loads when you load BTS and game saves are compatible with mod/non-modded saves. Most do this.

I'll check the BUG forum for a Steam thread, I'm sure there is one.

Oh, and make sure you run any executable regarding Civ with the "run as administrator option"

Okay here is my new start, with random leader. I got Gengis Khan, lots of food it looks like which is good for a capital. I think. I'm guessing there is probably another resource to the south i can't see because of the city recommendation. so, i'm thinking move my guy there. thoughts?

edit: forgot bug mod, doing that now.

edit: i have no idea what I'm supposed to do. instructions are very confusing.

Attachments

• Alex BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 2012-07-31_00001.jpg
    2012-07-31_00001.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 88
There is no any hassle to install BUG with Steam. All the same. And Single Player installation goes into My Documents\... folder, which is same for Steam and nonSteam versions.

in the read me it tells me to move a bunch of folders around and its confusing me. what do you mean single player installation?

edit: i thought i installed it right but now the game is reeeaalllly messed up. when i play a game no interface is shown. and there is no music.

edit: i think this mean bug mod doesn't work on mac.

Mac may require something different. I'm clueless on that one. Check the Mac forum or Bug forum as I'm sure someone as encountered it.

Also, get a PC ;)

Move scout to the blue circle (not that the blue circle means jack...just using it as an identifier). The move will show you any resources down there and confirm a move 1S.

(That is not what I would call "lots of food", but it is ok.)

after warrior i'm building a settler. not sure where to settle next, i will try and scout for the other civ nearby to possibly block them out. after ah i'm doing mining then going straight to alpha/currency... probably.

Attachments

• Alex BC-3400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    51.1 KB · Views: 20
after warrior i'm building a settler. not sure where to settle next, i will try and scout for the other civ nearby to possibly block them out. after ah i'm doing mining then going straight to alpha/currency... probably.

Let the capital grow a bit and work one or two mined hills to make use of your IMP trait to get that settler out faster.

You should add BW before Alpha.
AH (2) -> Mining (7) -> BW (16)
25 turns in total before you get BW. So get out a settler at size 3 or 4, then build/whip a worker and then chop out settlers.

I see a spot 1E of the cow that could be a great production/HE city. This continent seems to have lots of land lacking of food. I did explore a bit. By the way, if you settled on the coastal sugar on the south eventually, that would become a beast GP farm.

Edit: If you want to squeeze in another city, I guess you could also settler 1SE of the wheat instead and then save another city for the cows.

Wow, that's some pretty crap land. You will want to avoid settling to the south for a while. Not sure which direction sury came from, but I suspect it was the south since your scout is about at the north edge of this continent.

Wheat/cows is the only obvious place to settle next. The horse reveal will also impact where you settle. Hopefully there is some seafood to the east there. I'd run your settler down there quickly to check and to grab that hut (although I do wish you would turn off huts/events).

Start a settler at size 3. This will allow you to work the rice/cows and 1 mine. The cow and mine will boost your IMP bonus on the settler, as would a chop. In the meantime this should allow you to get out at least 2 warrior - once to spawnbust your first city site and one to spawnbust elsewhere, maybe south.

After settler, chop another worker and then grow a bit more on more warriors.

Tech path for now is AH>Mining>BW>POT but stop there. We need to assess if you are going to Keshik stomp. If not, Writing>Alpha>Maths>Currency would be good.

Play about 20 more turns or until your settler pops out and report back. Right now, I would settle on the PH next to the wheat.

Note: When you scout around, try to hit a about a 10 tile radius around your cap first, then find the AIs if you haven't . Most important thing first is identifying all possible good city spots near the cap. Also important is unfogging the coast as much as possible. There's 2 reasons for this: 1) Reveal seafood 2) Open coastal trade routes (even 1 fogged tile can block trade routes after sailing)

arggghh..... he's north of me. which means i should hammer out a bunch of settlers super quick and block him in right? at least some more resources appeared. a couple of potential city sites now.

forgot to turn off huts, my mistake.

Attachments

• Alex BC-2500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    59.1 KB · Views: 24
Testie,

Riverside Grasshill > Plains hills. Always mine grass hills first, especially riverside.

I would not panic about Khmer. Grab that wheat cow spot, then the horses. The rest of the land is crap up there anyway. Hopefully some seafood pops up around that flood plain to the west.

For the horses, if you were creative, I would settle on the river with expectation of getting those sugars, but I'd settle next to the horses immediately. It's a resource grab city, but at least you can farm it and have sugars later.

Question is, are you isolated with Khmer. Weird to see only 2 civs on a continent. Something may be weird. Make sure you scout the south coast closely.

Bang out another worker. Use both to road to the new city and improve it. (note, if you settle a city after completing the route, even on the same turn, the city will get an instant trade route. If you settle then complete the road that turn, then no trade route.) Cap can build another warrior or 2 and start on settler 3.

You might want to pick up Myst first before heading to Writing to get border pops, since you are not Kublai.

edit: try to send a warrior out asap to the new city site to spawnbust...you should have done that earlier.

i think i messed this up..... accidentally did writing first. and i was struggling with the city placement. i probably botched that.

Attachments

• Alex BC-1760.CivBeyondSwordSave
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom