Should Catholic clergy be allowed to marry?

Should they be able to marry?

• Total voters
No one is "forced" to not marry since no one is forced to become a priest. Simple logic that many NSS people don't follow.

@Last

I was referring to hero's post.

cierdan said:
@Last

I was referring to hero's post.
So?
You still used an obscure TLA, more people would understand if you spelled it out.

TLA = Three Letter Acronym

No; Roman catholic priests should not be allowed to marry;
my catholic wife Nove and ruler is quite definitive that they
should practice celibacy and concentrate on the church.

Titus and Timothy?

Anyway, Priests shouldn't be able to marry. They have an oath (or whatever it is) to celibacy - same with nuns. It has to do with devotion. If you have a family, that's less time you have for prayer and meeting with members of the congregation.

The only restrictions humans have are those they choose to give themselves.
And I mean this within the sensible realms of human actions.

Not unrestrictive destructiveness.

In this case, the fact that a person will let an invisible, intangible force
like a religion control their actions is really their choice, and their problem.

We are the only animals that inflict such quandaries upon ourselves.

If they dont start allowing priests to marry soon, two things will happen. First, the clergy will continue being comprised of weirdos and sexual deviants, because no normal healthy male, no matter how religious, would voluntarily give up sex. Second, eventually, it will mean the end of the Catholic Church. Already there's a major priest shortage, and it only continues to get worse. The next Pope, if his mission is to save the Church and preserve it for the future, will have to allow priests to marry. Thats a minimum. Ordination of women should also be allowed eventually, but a good first step towards reform would be ending the celibacy nonsense.

From a theological point of view: What does the Bible say? There are certainly plenty of priests in the Bible who have wives. Jesus said it is better not to have wife to distract to allow you only to focus on God's work, but he said it was alright for anyone (including priests) to marry. I am a member of the Newapostolic Church, where there are no professional priests, they all do it on an honorary basis, without pay and in their free time. Of course they are allowed to have wives. It works fine, these priest are devoted and very caring and loving towards the whole congregation and are dedicated to the Lord. In fact, my father is a priest and a friend of mine.

Priests are allowed to marry in the Orthodox Ethiopian Church, but there are still hermits who decide to shun all outside contact at all, doing nothing but praying. I'm sure the church would be weaker if no one could marry. I voted "yes."

Rabbis can marry in Judaism, IIRC; I thierfore see no basis for the priesthoods of its branch off religions not beign able to marry

If they marry, they wont try to catch a kid.

Rabbis are not priests. There are no priests in present day Judaism. Judaism once had priests and I think some Jews hope that the priesthood will be restored to them.

@Last: No, it wouldn't :)

Sorry I didn't tell you sooner.

cierdan said:
@Last: No, it wouldn't :)

Sorry I didn't tell you sooner.
You still didn't tell us!

Yom said:
You still didn't tell us!
T.R.O.L.L.

I'll let you decide what this acronym means :p

I fail to see a reason that would justify the forbidding of marriage for priests.

Also, there were very good answers made that support marriage for them (the "counsels about life" one, for example).

So...

Akka said:
T.R.O.L.L.

I'll let you decide what this acronym means :p
Actually, I genuinely want to know what NSS is supposed to stand for.

Top Bottom