Should old town road be on the country charts?

Should Lil Nas X “Old Town Road” be allowed on the country charts

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only the Billy Ray Cyrus version

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hygro

soundcloud.com/hygro/
The controversy of our times

Lol, either it isn't getting played where I'm listening or I've been forgetting it as soon as it stops playing. It's alright, but it's pretty stripped down of the country conceits without the Cyrus interweaving, isn't it?

Apparently well into the 100s of millions of hits. It's pretty sedentary, could throw it on a 10 hour repeat loop and it might be somewhat less than insanemaking once it goes into backbrain mode.

Come on people to quote one random reddit guy "Lil Nas X has done more for country than anyone in the past 10 years." This song is massive.

Cah tah tonic.

:lol::lol:, i thought this was a question about maps

Well it's hardly genuine, really it's just a guy wearing the costume of country for the meme. That said, most of chart country is just regular guys pretending to be cowboys anyway so I don't think that disqualifies it. (We forgive Marty Robbins, crooner and idol, doing the same in the fifties.)

Come on people to quote one random reddit guy "Lil Nas X has done more for country than anyone in the past 10 years." This song is massive.

Yeah it seems like it's dragging along some others in its wake too. I don't recall seeing much country in the top 20 since 'Body Like a Back Road' was big but at the moment there's 'God's Country' (choon BTW) and 'Whiskey Glasses' and one just outside the top 20 'Beer Never Broke My Heart' that seems to be on an upward path. How much of that is attributable to OTR I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if a new audience is now giving these tracks a chance.

Far be it from me to police the boundaries of a genre.

Just from reading the OP and knowing vaguely who Lil Nas X is I'm guessing there's a, uh, subtext of racism in the arguments for not allowing his song onto the country charts

I read the title and thought you were talking about maps

Same, came here for a cartography discussion #disappointed

Same, came here for a cartography discussion #disappointed
Be the change you wish to see in the world. I for one think this old town road sounds like a lovely road and I don't see why it shouldn't be included in map charts like satnav. My only worry is that the satnav must take into consideration that it's a small road when planning the best route for drivers. At worst this could direct a considerable amount of cars to a road not capable of handling that amount of traffic.

Top Bottom