Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU or not?

luiz said:
I'm sure Stapel agrees with you that one ;) . We all do.

Who supports the CAP anyway?

Yes, Rik and I agree on this one (Rik being only 2 feet away from me now, playing a RL LAN C3C game, I can be sure).

The funny thing: I've never met anybody being seriously pro-CAP. Nobody, from left to right, form progressive to conservative, form liberal to authoritarian thinks CAP is any good.

The only problem seems to be the risk of political suicide.
It's quite an amazing phenomemon.......

Drunk Master said:
btw. Remember Barosso which the Liberal European parlement didn't like because of his religious opinions?

You are mixing up names. Barosso is the Portuguese dude that everybody likes. You mean that Italian moron whoms name I can't remember.

Or am I terribly wrong now?

Stapel said:
You are mixing up names. Barosso is the Portuguese dude that everybody likes. You mean that Italian moron whoms name I can't remember.

You're correct.
Buttiglioni was that Catholic Fundamentalist.
Wouldn't exactly agree with everyone liking Barosso - more fitting would be 'Nobody was seriously against him'.

Stapel said:

You are right. my bad, my bad. It was Buttiglioni like Doc already pointed out.

But the point still stands. If you don't like people who take their fate seriously in the European commision you might have to think again about Turkey.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
What's CAP :confused: ?

Hakim:
Germany has surprisingly little problems with the Turkish immigrants, much less than with those from the former Soviet Union. We've had zero incidents with Turkish Islamists so far.
In fact, considering the large number of Turkish people here (about 4 million), they are pretty much an arguement in favor of considering Turkey to be a worthy member of the EU...much more than Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, or other Bundesländer with Skinhead problems :lol:.
I doubt there are many Germans that would agree to that statement...

Geostrategically, we need Turkey to eventually spread our influece in Middle East. And by "need" I don't mean "as an ally", but as a member.

EU has very positive influence over the neigbourhood. The prospect of accession acted like catalyzer of pro-democratic and pro-market economy changes in post-communist Central and Eastern Europe. Recently, it was this prospect what was very important in "revolutions" in Georgia and Ukraine. Turkey's reforms were also done because of this prospect.

I think that after accession of Turkey, EU will act like a "lighthouse of freedom" (a little of Bush's terminology ;) ) for North Africa and Middle East. Surely it is better way of stabilisation of this region, than the usage of military force to promote "democracy".

Winner said:
Marla, I usually tend to agree with you, but now are you completely off the trail.

Germany is the most "powerfull" state in EU in the means of numbers of votes. Does it mean they "lead" the EU? No. They need support of other states as well.
It's funny cause you answered as if I was talking about domination when actually I was talking about leadership. I didn't expect you to distort the meaning in such a way.

Who proposed the EMU ? Who proposed the Constitution ? Who has rushed the joining of Central European countries in the EU for 2004 ? And finally, who pressured for Turkey's membership ?

All those decisions had been taken by two countries : France and Germany. Of course the others had to accept, but once those two founding members agree, a large part of the job is done. Of course, they don't dominate, fortunately they can't enforce the choice of others ; however, you're all blind if you don't see they have a larger influence than others, and that's totally legitimate due to their weight in the Union. If you want the EU to accept your initiative and both France and Germany disagree with you, it will be very hard to see that initiative being accepted. After all, France and Germany represent 30% of the EU population.

Don't ever forget that if we're talking about Turkey today, it's because Chirac decided to start again negociations in 1999.

Turkey with about the same population (and maybe higher in the future) won't lead EU wherever it likes. It will need support of Germany, France, Slovenia, Portugal, Sweden and so on. They could be easily outvoted.

These fears of Turkey in the head of EU are IMO irrational.
Actually, your way of thinking is objectively irrational, and the opinion of anyone doesn't matter about that fact.

Turkey is a nationalist country, and that won't change. It will have a considerable influence in the EU, and that's a fact. Of course it's today poorer than Western European countries, but if the purpose of Turkish integration isn't to reduce the gap, then I don't understand what's its purpose. The scheme is pretty simple, Turkey doesn't want of a political integration, just like Sweden, Poland and Britain doesn't want of it. You won't convince them that political integration is great, it's them which will convince you to get over the idea. Turkey will be in 2020 a country of 90 million people... the 10 new members who joined in 2004 represents 75 million people ! You're blind if you believe that Turkey won't have more influence than Cyprus or Malta. (Cyprus being, by the way, half occupied by Turkey).

Winner said:
EU has very positive influence over the neigbourhood. The prospect of accession acted like catalyzer of pro-democratic and pro-market economy changes in post-communist Central and Eastern Europe. Recently, it was this prospect what was very important in "revolutions" in Georgia and Ukraine. Turkey's reforms were also done because of this prospect.

I think that after accession of Turkey, EU will act like a "lighthouse of freedom" (a little of Bush's terminology ;) ) for North Africa and Middle East. Surely it is better way of stabilisation of this region, than the usage of military force to promote "democracy".
So what is your idea ? You want to promess China to join the EU in order to democratize it ? The EU is not the UN, and the EU should not be a mere free trade zone. Too many people in here see the EU as far less than what it is already today.

I have absolutely no problem to give European funds for the development of Turkey, I have no problem to create a free trade zone with Turkey either. My only problem is to call this the European Union.

Drunk Master said:
You are right. my bad, my bad. It was Buttiglioni like Doc already pointed out.

But the point still stands. If you don't like people who take their fate seriously in the European commision you might have to think again about Turkey.

Taking faith seriously is ok, but don't mix it with politics. I don't think the average Turk leans more towards mixing those things up than the average Bavarian. Some are not so secular, some are. Why do people think 'the Turk' is anti-secular, and think 'the European' is secular?

Maybe 'the Turk' is anti-secular, but right now they have ten years to prove their true secularity.

I fear that not allowing Turkey to join the EU would be a victory for the racists and the fundamentalists of both christian and muslim worlds.

Stapel said:
Taking faith seriously is ok, but don't mix it with politics. I don't think the average Turk leans more towards mixing those things up than the average Bavarian. Some are not so secular, some are. Why do people think 'the Turk' is anti-secular, and think 'the European' is secular?

Maybe 'the Turk' is anti-secular, but right now they have ten years to prove their true secularity.

I don't want to go off-topic, but Buttoglioni explicitly stated that his personal views about homosexuality (that it's a sin) would be kept out of his policy's. But that wasn't enough for the parlement, they just wanted anyone with those views having a ministerial position.

I think they are going to have a hard time finding Turkish EU leaders than. Since muslims on the whole take their fate more seriously than most European Christians.

Winner said:
Germany is the most "powerfull" state in EU in the means of numbers of votes. Does it mean they "lead" the EU? No. They need support of other states as well.

Turkey with about the same population (and maybe higher in the future) won't lead EU wherever it likes. It will need support of Germany, France, Slovenia, Portugal, Sweden and so on. They could be easily outvoted.

These fears of Turkey in the head of EU are IMO irrational.
Ah, this is what I meant. The diversity of CFCOT means there are probably someone having the same opinion as oneself - and being able to express it better :goodjob:
storealex said:
Hakim, Sweden has been very good at integrating immigrants compared to Denmark. I wish our politicians would share experience more often.
I wouldn't say that, this was probably just because it was labour immigration. I think my point was that problems with immigration have more to do with the conditions in society etc than where the immigrants are coming from.

Marla_Singer said:
It's funny cause you answered as if I was talking about domination when actually I was talking about leadership. I didn't expect you to distort the meaning in such a way.

Who proposed the EMU ? Who proposed the Constitution ? Who has rushed the joining of Central European countries in the EU for 2004 ? And finally, who pressured for Turkey's membership ?

All those decisions had been taken by two countries : France and Germany. Of course the others had to accept, but once those two founding members agree, a large part of the job is done. Of course, they don't dominate, fortunately they can't enforce the choice of others ; however, you're all blind if you don't see they have a larger influence than others, and that's totally legitimate due to their weight in the Union. If you want the EU to accept your initiative and both France and Germany disagree with you, it will be very hard to see that initiative being accepted. After all, France and Germany represent 30% of the EU population.

Regretfully, you're right. But I won't give up the fight so easily ;) At first, the great influence of Germany and France isn't just the result of their huge pupulation base. There are other reasons as well - the fact that entire EU started like the organisation, that was created to prevent any future war between Germany and France, thus making these two countries the founding members, surely give them some moral credo. Also the EEC was dominated by Germany and France simply because of their relative economic strenght, that was overwhelming compared with the rest.

But times change. Now, EU has 25 members and relative strenght of both Germany and France has decreased (and the fact these two countries have serious economic problems plus their behaviour in the Pact of Stability cause doesn't exactly help them).

What I want to say: it is foolish to think that 100,000,000 people is enough to "lead" EU. The old members won't let it happen and their relative economic strenght will be surely much better argument than population.
Also, after federalisation of the Union, these problems will gradually diminish.

Turkey is a nationalist country, and that won't change. It will have a considerable influence in the EU, and that's a fact. Of course it's today poorer than Western European countries, but if the purpose of Turkish integration isn't to reduce the gap, then I don't understand what's its purpose. The scheme is pretty simple, Turkey doesn't want of a political integration, just like Sweden, Poland and Britain doesn't want of it.

Well, from my point of view, France is MUCH MORE nationalist country than us or Poland or other post-communist countries. And of course, if you judge Poland only by their stance during Iraq crisis or by the support for Bush, you will be very surprised. Much of Poland's behaviour is just the policy of its government (e.g. the same is said about Slovakia too - "hey, they were behind Bush in Iraq war". Actually, no. Their government was).
These countries usually don't reject the idea of political integration, but the method and the pace.

You won't convince them that political integration is great, it's them which will convince you to get over the idea. Turkey will be in 2020 a country of 90 million people... the 10 new members who joined in 2004 represents 75 million people ! You're blind if you believe that Turkey won't have more influence than Cyprus or Malta. (Cyprus being, by the way, half occupied by Turkey).

I don't say it won't have any influence, I just say it won't have AS MUCH influence as you say.
And generally, Turkey will be joining different Union. In 10 or 15 years, much can happen. It is possible the EU will be already integrated into semi-federal entity. Turks will thus have a chance to express their opinion about the EU - if they are so against political union, they will refuse the membership. Otherwise, everything will be all right, don't you think?

So what is your idea ? You want to promess China to join the EU in order to democratize it ? The EU is not the UN, and the EU should not be a mere free trade zone. Too many people in here see the EU as far less than what it is already today.

My idea is that EU must use its soft power and attractiveness to stabilise (and develop) its backyard - Middle East, North Africa, Eastern Europe, Caucasus. Expanding the EU doesn't automatically mean abandoning the idea of federalisation.

I have absolutely no problem to give European funds for the development of Turkey, I have no problem to create a free trade zone with Turkey either. My only problem is to call this the European Union.

Funds, funds, funds, damn. Funds aren't so important. The biggest advantage of EU is its huge market and I guess this is what is Turkey interested in.

One more point: EU is gradually developing and integrating. Every country that seriously disagree with the course of its progress can leave it - the same for Turkey. Therefore they won't block EU: they won't have enough power for that EVEN if they WANTED to do so. It is much more likely they would be forced to leave EU if they tried to do such a thing.

Marla, have it ever occurred to you that perhaps the EU support in the other member states is damaged by the France-Germany axis deciding everything over the small members heads? Nicolas Sarkozy (future french president?) have said that perhaps France should seek coalitions with other members as well. I think it's a wise idea. With news headlines like "Yesterday France, Poland and Sweden proposed that the EU should create..." perhaps members with negative EU populations would feel that they also takes part in the planning of the future EU.

Winner said:
Well, from my point of view, France is MUCH MORE nationalist country than us or Poland or other post-communist countries. And of course, if you judge Poland only by their stance during Iraq crisis or by the support for Bush, you will be very surprised. Much of Poland's behaviour is just the policy of its government (e.g. the same is said about Slovakia too - "hey, they were behind Bush in Iraq war". Actually, no. Their government was).
These countries usually don't reject the idea of political integration, but the method and the pace.
The French more nationalist than the Poles? I very much doubt that.

One more point: EU is gradually developing and integrating. Every country that seriously disagree with the course of its progress can leave it
Hypothetical: what would happen, if France and/or Germany left the EU?

kronic said:
The French more nationalist than the Poles? I very much doubt that.

They are very, very proud of their country. In fact, sometimes they look like Americans ;) :D For example their pursuit of French as the major language in Europe (and in the world) is a nice example (expecially their aversion to English - probably national tradition ;) ). Poles would NEVER even think about something like that.
The problem of Poland is it is too religious. Moreover, some groups in Poland are abusing its situation to improve their position, especially some klero-fascist movements like League of Polish Families, Self-defense and so on. I've seen the work of their MEP's in Strasbourg - they are totally crazy (they are the only ones who have their national flag on the tables, for example. While I were on excursion, they were complaining about that someone has stolen their nice little flags :D )

Hypothetical: what would happen, if France and/or Germany left the EU?

EU would vanish.

Hakim said:
Marla, have it ever occurred to you that perhaps the EU support in the other member states is damaged by the France-Germany axis deciding everything over the small members heads? Nicolas Sarkozy (future french president?) have said that perhaps France should seek coalitions with other members as well. I think it's a wise idea. With news headlines like "Yesterday France, Poland and Sweden proposed that the EU should create..." perhaps members with negative EU populations would feel that they also takes part in the planning of the future EU.

Exactly. Many anti-EU politicians here are talking about the evil Paris-Berlin Axis, that is allegedly ruling entire EU ;)

Drunk Master said:
I don't want to go off-topic, but Buttoglioni explicitly stated that his personal views about homosexuality (that it's a sin) would be kept out of his policy's. But that wasn't enough for the parlement, they just wanted anyone with those views having a ministerial position.

I think they are going to have a hard time finding Turkish EU leaders than. Since muslims on the whole take their fate more seriously than most European Christians.

What you do here, is shoving all Muslims together. The average Turkish Muslim does not take his faith as serious as you think. I've met dozens of Turks. As well Turkish-Turks as Dutch-Turks as German-Turks. The idea they are a threat for secularity is based on misconceptions.

Winner said:
Exactly. Many anti-EU politicians here are talking about the evil Paris-Berlin Axis, that is allegedly ruling entire EU ;)

I have pointed out before that the Paris-Berlin Axis is a threat for the EU. I guess we need more big members, to stop this threat. A fine reason to invite Turkey.

Stapel said:
I have pointed out before that the Paris-Berlin Axis is a threat for the EU. I guess we need more big members, to stop this threat. A fine reason to invite Turkey.

New members have already disrupted the previous order. But yes, another new members would disrupt it even more.

Top Bottom