Sick Start

Fallen_Angel has it right, and not just because he has over 8.3K posts.

Obviously, MarigoldRan hasn't played a lot of Diety (without the cheat).

Without the production, you are going to fall even quicker behind the AI's who already have a huge jump start on you... You can't afford in a non-rigged game to let the AI just gobble up everything... well, unless you are planning to go cultural...

Food & Hammers = EVERYTHING early game... commerce can always come later, after you claimed your stake.

Fallen_Angel has it right, and not just because he has over 8.3K posts.

Obviously, MarigoldRan hasn't played a lot of Diety (without the cheat).

Without the production, you are going to fall even quicker behind the AI's who already have a huge jump start on you... You can't afford in a non-rigged game to let the AI just gobble up everything... well, unless you are planning to go cultural...

Food & Hammers = EVERYTHING early game... commerce can always come later, after you claimed your stake.

No. Commerce limits the amount of food and production you can achieve at a Marathon game early on.

YOU obviously haven't played much of Marathon/Huge at Diety.

You've played almost all your games at standard settings. And so when someone deviates from YOUR established play, you protest they're newbs.

But YOUR established play is specifically designed for a certain setting. You're forgetting the rule: play to the map and the settings. At Marathon/Huge Diety, you need early commerce. ESPECIALLY if you're going for Quechua rushes.

Fallen Angel is wrong because he almost always sticks to a narrow band of settings when he plays. As are you.

Consider the whip: it's taken for granted by normal-setting players. But think about this:

1. The whip requires that you have Bronze Working.
2. Which requires Mining.
3. Whips are effective only if you have something effective to whip.

NONE of these can be taken for granted at Marathon/Huge.

What? There's four gold and flood plains and you're saying this is not a good start?

This is a good start. It is an EXCELLENT start for a Quechua rush.

And so when someone deviates from YOUR established play

Normal speed was set, tweaked, and adjusted pertaining to the AI, and is part of the DEFAULT & STANDARDIZATION.

I did not set those defaults, the designers did.

If you really wanted all your extra-turns bonus to be part of the default, then Firaxis naturally would have tweaked even more bonuses elsewhere for the AI to offset this overwhelming advantage...

It honestly shouldn't be too hard to figure out such a basic concept. You've been told by many others at this point.

Later on, if you need commerce after over-expanding or over-rushing with a start like this, you split the gold. The four gold mines will probably not be for only one city.

Normal speed was set, tweaked, and adjusted pertaining to the AI, and is part of the DEFAULT & STANDARDIZATION.

I did not set those defaults, the designers did.

If you really wanted all your extra-turns bonus to be part of the default, then Firaxis naturally would have tweaked even more bonuses elsewhere for the AI to offset this overwhelming advantage...

It honestly shouldn't be too hard to figure out such a basic concept. You've been told by many others at this point.

The designers also added in OTHER settings. Last I checked they're still there.

And new settings require new and tweaked strategies. This is the strategy forum, is it not? So why are you flaming us? We're sticking to the rules. YOU are not.

Seraiel posted a really good map for his preferred setting of play. And you're saying he's a newb because he's not conforming to YOUR settings?

Have I mentioned yet that you're somewhat arrogant? Once again, are you like this normally in real life, or is this something special and unpleasant you pull out just for civ?

No matter what settings you play on this is not a good start.

For the record, Grashopa is a very solid player. If Marigold wants to run in opposition yet again, then you'd better get your wheelchair out, because you don't have a leg to stand on.

For the record, Grashopa is a very solid player. If Marigold wants to run in opposition yet again, then you'd better get your wheelchair out, because you don't have a leg to stand on.

That's not an argument. You're appealing to authority.

Says the one who seems to play marathon/huge almost exclusively, judging from your posts throughout the forums :rolleyes:

Yes!!! EDIT: Glad you noticed it. That's why I try to restrict my more interesting comments to Marathon/Huge.

When I speak about more standard settings, I generally keep to the accepted basics.

Because unlike others, I KNOW MY GROUND.

I respect Obsolete when he's talking about standard/normal, because that HIS ground. But if he comes to Marathon/Huge thinking that it's HIS ground too, then he should have another thought coming.

Until he actually plays it consistently, he shouldn't talk shi- about it.

Typical example of rookies over-valuing gold over food.

Still, it beats the hell out of ONLY plains cow and 1 flood plain :sad:.

At least with the gold, he has a chance of an additional food resource or (more likely) a way to settle to tile-share some of them. I don't know about "sick" but it's definitely "above average".

:popcorn:
A low food start remains a slow start for a standard opening: worker/wb first. The further you move away from a standard opening, the more can change.

Anyway, this is entertaining.
:popcorn:

my thoughts are that it COULD be a strong start, depending on what other food sources are out there and where you can settle. You cannot SIP on that start, though.

Personally, I'd find that a lot stronger if that was the gold hills were all gem flatlands, but that's me. It still would be a little awkward, cause there's no obvious GREAT food source.

I dunno. I'd rather have lots of food and wood than all that gold.

Attachments

• Gandhi BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    21.4 KB · Views: 43
Personally, I think Coastal Clams, fish, and Cow and perhaps 1 luxury(or horse) is the best possible start I think on any setting.

I've noticed the more turns a mode has, the easier it is to win. Quick games are by far the hardest while Epic/Marathon always tends to be quite a bit easier.

I'm not sure about you but even under marathon, fast growth for me is preferred over fast commerce. 1-2 gold is great because you get +1 happiness early and possibly another to trade, but I'd rather have production/food early on. I hardly ever do early rushes(unless the barbs have a lot of cities) and by the time I start warring, towns have as much commerce as gold.

Fallen Angel is wrong because he almost always sticks to a narrow band of settings when he plays. As are you.

My band is a lot wider than yours man. You pretty much play 1 or 2 settings.

Ups, what did happen here...

Obsolete, you're arrogant and Marigold is right. This is hell of a Start for a Huge Marathon Checker Rush.

And now go home and l2p.

Top Bottom