[R&F] Small things you have noticed on playing

In deity it is always the turn 50, 90, 130, 170(industrial), then others I guess are 210, 250, 290

Are you talking about R&F or vanilla, and are you talking about single-player? In R&F single player at levels lower than deity, the player views a range of turns that the era will take until it starts counting down to the last 10. In vanilla, isn't it Civ-dependent so that each player may be in a different era? I have no idea about multi-player.

How did you get that exactly? Is that if you lose your original capital and have to pick a new temporary one or something?
To be fair I got this on firetuner when I destroyed a cap then built another city so unlikely ever see it for real but thought I would post the curiosity.

In my only game (which took almost all weekend, not sure how people have gotten so many games in already) I was alone on my own little mini-continent while everyone else was on the "mainland." The two expansion civs that rolled were Zulu and Korea. They clearly were the best/biggest civs on the continent with Germany a close third.

Latauro is the one doing good in my game now. You'd expect him to be doing well on culture, but his science output is just below mine (on Prince difficulty). He's even researched flight, and I'm still a ways away from there. Though I tend to prioritize electricity and steel first. I haven't taken a close look at his cities yet to see how many campus districts he has, it might be he just started in superior land.

I'm having fun with the game, but I feel like the UI is lying to me more than before, movement-wise? For example, this just happened:

I right click on the white area, which is empty, and there's a city state unit marked with orange. For some reason, the galley just wiggles back and forth a couple of times, stays in the hex where it started and has now used up all of its movement. After I select the galley again, it has decided that it will now take 4 turns to reach the intended destination. I tried reloading and if I move the ship just one space first so I can see the city state unit, movement works fine. (I know it's not usually safe to move into the unknown like this, but I already knew there weren't any hostiles, so I was just trying to avoid unnecessary extra clicks)

edit: Nevermind. I hadn't realized I hadn't built a commercial district in my capital, which I almost always do.

Last edited:
The Normal Era Dedication bonus which gives era score from Eureka's works with the Great Library.

Okay, explain this one to me. Why is my tank army gaining experience points for battles they are not partaking in? The battles involve Dutch 7 provinces ships attacking a free cities unit and their encampment as well nearby. I'm getting XP for these battles and I don't know why. I have no alliance with the Dutch anymore.

I'll provide photographic evidence in case no one believes me. I'll put them in spoiler tags because the images are so big, it's better to keep them big so you can see the XP bar in the bottom right. My XP goes from 36 to 62.

This clearly looks like a bug. I'm not sure if I'm getting XP from the free city units gaining XP or the Dutch units.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Are you talking about R&F or vanilla, and are you talking about single-player? In R&F single player at levels lower than deity, the player views a range of turns that the era will take until it starts counting down to the last 10. In vanilla, isn't it Civ-dependent so that each player may be in a different era? I have no idea about multi-player.
I was talking about deity level in R&F, till now many people said the same, it always starts counting at turn 40 and enter classic era at turn 50, then other eras all last 40 turns, which is the min value. In XML it shows the max value is 60, but no other detail infos. I guess the average world era in vanilla also works in the calculation, you know, in high dificulty levels the average world era often goes very fast.

Edit: The ancient era can also less than 50, some people have entered the classic era in T44. Don't know how it works. :(

Last edited:
You are allies with Sumerian. Could that be a factor?

Well I have all 5 alliances. My military alliance is with Chandra of India, and it is a level 3 alliance. I can't remember exactly what that does, but considering India is not involved in this encounter, it doesn't seem right I'm getting XP.

Okay, explain this one to me. Why is my tank army gaining experience points for battles they are not partaking in? The battles involve Dutch 7 provinces ships attacking a free cities unit and their encampment as well nearby. I'm getting XP for these battles and I don't know why. I have no alliance with the Dutch anymore.

I'll provide photographic evidence in case no one believes me. I'll put them in spoiler tags because the images are so big, it's better to keep them big so you can see the XP bar in the bottom right. My XP goes from 36 to 62.

This clearly looks like a bug. I'm not sure if I'm getting XP from the free city units gaining XP or the Dutch units.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Maybe same things happening what I've been experiencing in my current game for a while: former ally units just wander through my territory without open borders... :undecide:

It feels like as if sometimes previous alliance deals and bonuses still remaining?!

There's something very off with the "Wish You Were Here" Golden Age dedication.

Spoiler :

Now the lifetime Tourism display suggests that 3645 Tourism per turn is a display bug rather than actual fact, but Tourism is a bit opaque so I can't be certain. Also it seems to be causing the game to hard crash, the last line of GameEffects.log upon crashing is [2362705.391] [Turn: 384] Created Requirement Set <69767:GAME_HAS_ATOMIC_EYE_REQUIREMENTS> with Owner <Game> and Subject <PlotYields>.

Is this the right topic in which to complain about how the AI is still complaining millennia later about how I occupy one of their allies' cities, LEGALLY ceded to me in peace talks and signed treaties?

Because it is.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I noticed this as well. I am allied with Gilgamesh, but the units that my units were siphoning off of were from a city-state suzerain.

Hopefully they fix the movement bugs. Whenever you have things which modify the movement (Logistics, great general, supply convoy), they essentially keep modifying the movement of units. So if you have a crossbowman, what you can do is move him 2 tiles, then move a great general to within 2 tiles of him, then move the crossbow another tile. And you can repeat that for as many moves as your general has.

It also has a downside - if you start next to a general and have logistics, you should in theory start with 4 moves for the unit. But if he moves out of your territory and out of range of your general, then he immediately drops to 2 moves, even if he *should* have movement points left. I don't know why they didn't just keep the same system it used to be - you count the unit's moves from the start of the turn, and that was it.

Well I have all 5 alliances. My military alliance is with Chandra of India, and it is a level 3 alliance. I can't remember exactly what that does, but considering India is not involved in this encounter, it doesn't seem right I'm getting XP.

It is right. I was also surprised first time I saw it.

It's nothing specific to R&F alliance levels. It's Gilgamesh bonus:
May declare war on anyone at war with their allies without warmonger penalties. When at war with a common foe, they and their allies share pillage rewards and share combat experience gains if within 5 tiles.

The guys who think the expansion is easier -I think it might be if you're already very familiar with civ 6 mechanics and min- maxing - the new shortcuts can help you speed along but if you're like me and hadn't studied the details much, the expansion is pleasantly difficult. I bought the base game back in December and got bored after 2 runs through playing at immortal - I just used Civ 5 strats. I didn't bother understanding the deep Civ 6 mechanics and pulled off boring and easy victories.

I started with Cree immortal standard continents and the difference between base game and R+F is like night and day. I'm late medieval and haven't been able to get a single golden age. I didn't go early war because I was tied down keeping barbs off my back. Instead I built up a tidy core of six cities with the Colliseum and Petra but I've been tanking in terms of campuses and science. I just don't have enough yet.

Georgia and the Khmer DOWed me. Once I'd dealt with the barbs I defeated the Georgian army and whipped out a quick army of multiple xbows, catapults and pikemen and set off to counter attack ...except I didn't. Tamar had been building a second army at the same time as I was building up mine (that never happened to me in the base game). We stalemated and I took a peace deal. The Khmer were taken down by Gilgabro -but all the KHmer cities then flipped to Tamar. She must be riding some serious golden age loyalty pressure.

So all in all I'm quite excited.

I'm finding golden ages much more difficult to get than others have. I think if you're not warring and conquering they're a lot harder to come by. I missed the first golden age by a single point. Since then I've been nowhere near. Initially I was taking the normal age dedication of eureka boosts - but I find them quite tricky to get come medieval. I just switched to reform the coinage but with only 4 trade routes switching every 10-15 turns - i don't think that'll be enough era points to get golden. And plodding away at my basic empire construction I'm not snagging enough surprise era points.

The game is not lost but I'm definitely heading that way. I'll drop down to emperor and get some practice in. But I'm happy, finally I need to learn what the hecks going on under the hood here.

Anybody notice the change in Great General bonuses?
Instead of giving the bonus to units around the GG at the beginning of a turn - now the bonus is granted to units within range of GG.
This is a very big nuisance that obviously nobody play tested - now with multiple units getting stuck on the same hex. Ridiculous.

Also, Mongol capture cavalry units bonus is really unfortunate - every captured unit has very little health - So, if you happen to capture a unit close to enemy walls or other units - they will instantly kill it next turn - which is very bad for war weariness.

Top Bottom