[R&F] Small things you have noticed on playing

My first game I played as Lautaro, got a good amount of land, forward settled the cree. They declared a joint war on me with the far away khmer. They warred shockingly well and took Buenos Aires that was my ally. They had iron and I didn't so i sued for peace as soon as possible. I think I may have gotten a little gold from them.

Later, when I unlocked knights, I upgraded all my chariots and declared a war of liberation against Cree and liberated Buenos Aires and took 2 cities outright and one through loyalty. interestingly enough the Cree sneak attacked Buenos Aires with some caravels and took it back sparking an emergency. Since I was already at war with them I gladly accepted and liberated Buenos Aires giving me 3000 gold and bonus on trade routes ( i think). I adopted the Raid policy and just DESTROYED his empire. My knights raided all his trade routes and commercial hubs (which he loves to spam) and crippled his economy. Every soldier he puts out I destroy and his entire empire is in disarray at the loyalty hits.

Poundmaker was the clear leader of the world before this war. Before the war I was crippled financially, bottled up in my corner of continent. Now I have established myself as the premier superpower, I am an economic behemoth, entered into a golden age and crippled my strongest competitor (without accruing negative diplomatic hits for warmongering). R&F definitely gives you the opportunity to turn small swings into major snowballs and i love it, I truly feel like my empire is living in its golden age.

Uhh okay so Vilnius' new bonus is "For the highest active alliance level, all your theater square districts receive +50% adjacency bonus."

Anyone mind telling me what this is supposed to mean exactly? As in the "For the highest active alliance level" part of it I mean. I don't really get it

My theory is that it means you get 50% for each level of your highest level. If your highest level is 3, you get 150%.

I'm working* as well :sad:

* and by working I mean browsing CFC and living vicariously through everyone else until I can get home
I finished work an hour and a half ago but am still travelling home. In about 20 minutes though I shall be happily gaming away! :cool:

I'm so jealous of everyone here who is playing already while I'm working like a sucker. :( Thanks for posting and keeping me entertained throughout the day!
Not only do I have to wait for work to be other, but I also still have download it using my 0 mbps internet connection.

That wouldn't necessarily be a bug, if (a) they worded it "Discover a new continent" instead of "second continent", and (b) you actually do get the inspiration when you find a third continent. Game play wise I could see some merit to setting the inspiration up this way. If that was their intent, though, they should word it properly.

It's always bothered me that you could accidentally discover a second continent so early. Don't they have an algorithm that makes it hard for a civ to spawn so near a continent border?

When you dig up ruins, they can be from battles with free cities.
Somebody else mentioned shipwrecks from ship battles. Is this where ruins and wrecks come from? I always thought they were randomly generated. Could I avoid ruins if I kill 0 units in my terrain? I've had games with over 70 inside my borders.

One thing I noticed while playing as Korea, mines don't seem to show their seowon science bonus in the citizen view, but the yield is getting counted.

Somebody else mentioned shipwrecks from ship battles. Is this where ruins and wrecks come from? I always thought they were randomly generated. Could I avoid ruins if I kill 0 units in my terrain? I've had games with over 70 inside my borders.

Some are derived from past events while others are generated randomly.

Playing a Diety game with the Cree that normally I would have given up on but decided to stick it out.
I moved 4 turns on my initial settle next to Torress Del Paine for some sweet 4 prod 2 food hills. This gave me a total of 6 era score, 3 for finding the wonder and 3 for settling near it.
Had a classic golden age because Cree have an easy time of that for sure. Then went into a Dark Medieval Age and got an emergency to liberate a city state.
Managed to liberate the city state from China and got 2600 gold from it at 650BC!
Managed to build Petra and the Pyramids with China on my doorstep!
Managed to be the first to meet everyone for +5 Era Score.
Finally got Alliances and was trying to find the 5 more points to get a Heroic age. Made alliances with the Mapuce and Tomrysis and got the Circumnavigation Historic Moment from the Cree Alliance Visibility putting me into a Heroic age for Renaissance!

I must say I was not expecting that and I'm not sure it really should count for Circumnavigation but that was 10 Era Score in 2 turns. Very powerful historic moments there for some great timing potential.

I really love how dynamic the game feels and the story I just told about my game is completely unique compared to what someone else will experience to a point that I just didn't realize until playing it.

Now I've got to use this Heroic Age to propel me past the AIs because right now I'm behind.

Playing a Diety game with the Cree that normally I would have given up on but decided to stick it out.
I moved 4 turns on my initial settle next to Torress Del Paine for some sweet 4 prod 2 food hills. This gave me a total of 6 era score, 3 for finding the wonder and 3 for settling near it.

Hmm, that's a useful hint - I didn't know settling NWs carried an era score buff. One of my planned cities is next to Uluru. I was going to leave it until later because I don't need faith in my game and I unwisely promised Robert not to settle near him, thinking he was to my north, only to see his border close to that city site. It will be something to aim at if I come close to an era threshold, though (also, desert city might not be a one-off boost so I may get that bonus as well) - plus if the AI makes decisions based on era score it may now prioritise Natural Wonders more than it did so it may simply not be safe to leave it.

Thank god era points carry over.

Do they? I deliberately ended my morning session exactly the turn I entered the Classical Era as it seemed a natural break point, so I haven't checked. If so maintaining or improving the type of Age you're in should be quite a bit easier - I'd start with an 8 point surplus.

First thoughts:
- Getting my first golden age from Ancient to Classical was easy, but the progressive era score afterwards is truly a challenge. I did get a GA going into medieval, but it was down to the wire, and only because of random events bouncing me from dark to golden quickly. I love this!!

- I love city-flipping. In vanilla, AI forward-settling would piss.me.off. Now, I see it as free cities for me. Not bad. Loyalty on my end doesn't seem hard to manage.

- Governors seem interesting, but I am finding some to be less useful than originally anticipated. I didn't think I'd like Liang, but she is my fav, whereas Magnus is too situational and Amani overused (by AI). I think I still need time to learn how to best utilize them.

- Government Plaza is great. I build it early (usually, first district in second or third city), and go for Ancestral Hall-- love the free builders! 2nd Tier is tough decision, but I personally play spies more than I need faith-buys, so Intelligence Agency it is.

- I have played as Cree and Zulus, and find both enjoyable.

- Temple of Artemis is great-- amenities+housing+food=Hanging Gardens+OG Collosseum. My ToA city grew like lightning after completion. I am currently building Kilwa, which I am excited for.

All in all, I like R&F. 4/5 stars (sorry, no Inca=no fifth star). :undecide:

Magnus has +25 vs nuke strikes though.

I think I may need to go up a level to emperor level. Currently on king and got my first emergency after Germany took out Stockholm. Managed to complete it as the only contender and the reward of over a 1000 gold was amazing! Not looked back since and have spent my first two eras in golden ages.

Scotland is strong ftw!

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but right clicking a card in your active slots no longer removes a policy card. I liked doing that.

Not sure if this is an old bug:

continent.jpg

Alright so I finished my first R&F game, guess I can give some general thoughts:

- I decided to play as Chandragupta the first time around in order to make it new but not overly so; that way I could mainly focus on learning the new gameplay mechanics to start off with
- I only played it on King for once as it was more of a learning game but even so it was still a bit too easy in retrospective
- I didn't really have much of an issue with the loyalty system myself; neither me or my neighbours ever had a city flip, though the Mongols captured Rome early in the game which then kept flipping owners between the two of them and being independent throughout the entire game, that was a bit interesting to watch at least
- The only emergencies that turned up were city state emergencies, which happened twice. Honestly if the main intention of this system was to give the game leader an added hurdle to get over the finish line in order to reduce the snoozeworthiness of the latter stages of the game then this isn't quite cutting it still. There should be emergencies triggering when someone comes close to finishing their space project and achieving a cultural victory as well etcetera. I hope things like that are modable
- The era score and golden/dark ages mechanic is really fun to play with. It puts you on a timer but not a stressful one because it's not the end of the world if you don't quite reach your goal in time after all, there are upsides to dark ages too (though I never got one this game, just normal and golden ones). But in any case it makes you broaden your horizons and look for new things to do that might up your score in ways you wouldn't have played otherwise, and as the developers mentioned, it helps make every game just a little bit more unique
- Governors are also fun, though they might need some tweaking because a couple of the abilities seemed a bit broken to me
- Last but not least, they've finally fixed the score system. In the base game, almost no matter what you did you always got a low score on the chart by the end of the game. This time, while I didn't play in any particularly unusual way (conquered maybe 70% of Greece in the classical era and then all of Brazil in the mid-game but that's about it as far as conquest goes), I still got a way higher score than I would have in the base game. In fact, I checked what my in-game score was on the last turn before the game ended and whaddyaknow it's the exact same as in the hall of fame now. I guess we finally got a non-ambiguous system in play here, not even Civ V had that:

Overall pretty fun still, though it was more of an experimental game. Next time I'll up the difficulty again to probably Immortal and go have some fun with the new civs instead ^^

Top Bottom