Smollett And the Presumption of Innocence

Yea without Jim Crow style laws. . .it went right over your head I think

They had Jim Crow style laws and none of your links are about restaurants

Uh, what? Racial segregation is carried out in the housing market to this day. The market constantly reinforces racism, and continues to do so because nobody prevents it.

You have a lot of bad takes, but jesus is this one ignorant.

Racism exists, that isn't the market's fault. My link shows 94% of Americans dont mind living next to people of a different race and that has changed from almost half in the 60s. Real estate agents may be slow to respond but they have several reasons to influence buyers. People tend to self segregate, playing the odds means faster sales. If I was a RE agent I wouldn't want to endanger someone by putting them next to a racist or a gay couple next to the Fred Phelps clan's house. Is that homophobia? No, my customer would be mad at me if I stuck them next to a den of vipers and I'd feel responsible if something bad happened.

Yes. Was that a trick question?

Its one you didn't answer

If racial discrimination happens when no libertarians are around to personally witness it, did it really happen?

Libertarians opposed laws violating our freedom to discriminate, why would they think discrimination doesn't happen?

When you were talking about the "best state" of racism, I thought you meant "most racist", and I was kind of in agreement. But you actually think the USA is the least racist place in the world?!?!

I realize the irony here, but yes that is what I mean. Who else has the demographic reality of the USA and gets along reasonably well? Most places demographics are fairly homogeneous and you can't be not racist in my opinion if you are all one race.

They had Jim Crow style laws and none of your links are about restaurants

Racism exists, that isn't the market's fault. My link shows 94% of Americans dont mind living next to people of a different race and that has changed from almost half in the 60s. Real estate agents may be slow to respond but they have several reasons to influence buyers. People tend to self segregate, playing the odds means faster sales. If I was a RE agent I wouldn't want to endanger someone by putting them next to a racist or a gay couple next to the Fred Phelps clan's house. Is that homophobia? No, my customer would be mad at me if I stuck them next to a den of vipers and I'd feel responsible if something bad happened.

Its one you didn't answer

Libertarians opposed laws violating our freedom to discriminate, why would they think discrimination doesn't happen?

Specifically one of them was about restaurants and parks. How minorities have the police called on them and then act on them at a much higher rate for crimes of a petty nature.

I realize the irony here, but yes that is what I mean. Who else has the demographic reality of the USA and gets along reasonably well? Most places demographics are fairly homogeneous and you can't be not racist in my opinion if you are all one race.
Well there’s weird prejudices in the face of absence of examples and with homogeneity, and then there’s American style pull the rug out racism.

Last edited:
Well there’s weird prejudices in the face of absence of examples and with homogeneity, and then there’s American style pull the rug out racism.

Yea. I posit that those weird cases don’t actually count. America certainly has serious racism problems. I’m not trying to say it doesn’t. I’m just pointing out that the US looks more like the entire world than any other nation.

Specifically one of them was about restaurants and parks. How minorities have the police called on them and then act on them at a much higher rate for crimes of a petty nature.

You linked 3 articles about Jim Crow in the north talking about beaches and federal/state housing policy. The only mention of a 'restaurant' I see is a Starbucks' employee calling the cops on a couple black guys recently for 'loitering'. How did people respond to that? Condemnation... I dont know if the employee lost their job but HQs ordered more training and expressed regret.

You linked 3 articles about Jim Crow in the north talking about beaches and federal/state housing policy. The only mention of a 'restaurant' I see is a Starbucks' employee calling the cops on a couple black guys recently for 'loitering'. How did people respond to that? Condemnation... I dont know if the employee lost their job but HQs ordered more training and expressed regret.

On phone right now, so assuming I can’t find more cases for you is restaurants all that matter here? Public spaces don’t matter? Housing and real estate don’t matter?

The whole world is mainline protestant white dude culture

i deleted my previous post once i realized i misread the conversation, but as a side note america is not so
mainline protestant white dude culture
anymore, in fact every year its increasingly less white and protestant and thats a great thing.

hh

On phone right now, so assuming I can’t find more cases for you is restaurants all that matter here? Public spaces don’t matter? Housing and real estate don’t matter?

Did I argue people weren't discriminated against under Jim Crow? I'm asking if restaurants free to do as they please - free from Jim Crow - refused to serve black people. Your rebuttal is a Starbucks employee who called the cops on a couple black guys for not buying anything and government's Jim Crow policies regarding beaches and housing.

Only like five seconds, the market fairy sprinkled her dust on them and they stopped being racist

That... or they went out of business. But it doesn't take most consumers 5 seconds to start thinking of another place to vote with their dollars.

i deleted my previous post once i realized i misread the conversation, but as a side note america is not so

anymore, in fact every year its increasingly less white and protestant and thats a great thing.

hh

Yeah but the culture has a long way to go, hell you've managed to spawn an entire movement of obnoxious atheists who are basically protestants without the god thing.

Yeah but the culture has a long way to go, hell you've managed to spawn an entire movement of obnoxious atheists who are basically protestants without the god thing.
i have never held either of those beliefs.
he is Khuda, the one and only; Khuda, the eternal, absolute; he begets not, nor is he begotten; and there is none like unto him. (Surah 112)

hh

What does this mean? Am I an obnoxious atheist because I'm white and ex-protestant?

Depends how you feel about sola scriptura, idolatry, and the role of the individual mind in picking and choosing its own religious beliefs tbh

(Noting here that I am, myself, fully atheist)

1) I don't know what that is
2) I don't have an opinion
3) Uh, I mean I guess people can make up their mind but it's often hard too when you're raised a certain way.

you're right, how long did they stay in business?
You want me to tell you how long every restaurant, inn, cafe, diner, hotel tavern, pub, hostellery, patisserie, hot dog cart and deli outside of the South stayed open between 1750 and 1970?

I'll be honest, you've got me stumped.

Top Bottom