[GS] Sneak Peak 3/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either that or one of the Grand Railway hotels they built. Chateau Frontenac is the most famous, but there is one called Chateau Laurier, right next to Parliament Hill in Ottawa.

That's not the part of the backdrop they'd show in a teaser. That would be too much of a give away.

I'm sticking with Maori.

To me it looks like a headland:

Forillon, Quebec, the first part of the province that any early French explorer would have seen... :shifty:

I've yet to find anything in New Zealand that looks like it. But if we're going with Kupe, then surely it would be something like Cape Reinga? But it doesn't quite fit...
Actually, looking at this more, I've found an angle of Forillon that matches almost 100% the sneak peak... albeit reversed. Note the zig-zagging at the top of the cliff in the sneak peak and this image:

It vaguely looks like Khao Ok Thalu, but I don't know why it would be a forested mountain in Thailand.

This is a lame request but me and Twitter are not seeing eye to eye and I am unable to view the sneak peak. Can anyone post the image here in this thread?

Looking at the picture the more I see less and less that the cliffs resembles water at all, so I'm still saying Inca.

Hmmm, I'm leaning more Maori now. I was thinking 1st New then 2nd Old based on R&F, but looking back at the actual first looks that has no basis - it was Korea first than the Dutch (both old Civs with new leaders) before the drop of Genghis third. So now I'm thinking Inca might be third as an old/old (or the Ottomans, but imho most likely Inca because they'll get the two out of the trailer done).

I would say its Inca , picture fits that region too.It also fits new zealand , and from leak closest to them is Maori but...I wouldve surprised if it were Maori, for them I expect canoe sneak peak.

And if there were no leaks..New Zealand I vote. But sadle there is leaks...

I have no idea. But I feel the piece of land in the foreground gives the impression of standing on the edge of a canyon

Come on guys, that's embarrassing. I can hear Ed laughing!
Well, just real life ... some times you loose ... some times the others win ... :D I'm sticking with Maori.
They'll get their 24 hrs of amusement. :p
We'll start repeating ourselves soon anyway, to the extent we haven't already...

Hope this helps to focus again:

I have no idea. But I feel the piece of land in the foreground gives the impression of standing on the edge of a canyon

This kind of turning into a Rorschach Mountain. I see a mountain with vegetation, where you're looking from across a valley/canyon, and it has a cliffside to the valley, as well as another cliffside in the other direction.

Do the grasses in the foreground give any indication?

Originally felt more Incan to me, but also seems like if it were the Inca, it would be a whole mountain range, whereas we can really only see one peak on there. So maybe it is a little more New Zealand, and thus Maori.

If it does turn out to be Maori, here is my way too over-confident and wildly speculative pick for the uniques:

*Kupe - Leader Ability*: Te Aurere - Maori units gain the ability to enter Ocean tiles after researching Foreign Trade. Embarked units gain +1 visibility.

*Maori Unique Ability*: Te Kahui Tupua / The sacred peaks - Geothermal Fissures provide an extra +1 culture and +1 faith. After every eruption of a volcanoe, +3 culture and +3 faith is added to each city within 3 tiles of the volcanoe.

*Unique Unit* - Māori Battalion, a modern era infantry replacement which gets +10 strength when fighting in foreign territory and is able to scale cliffs

*Unique Improvement* - Pa, an early fort replacement which can be built by builders. Units which are adjacent to the Pa also gain the fortification bonus.

*Unique Unit* - Māori Battalion, a modern era infantry replacement which gets +10 strength when fighting in foreign territory and is able to scale cliffs

I'm predicting we might get a UU that promotes into another UU for a different age, just like Hungary

If it does turn out to be Maori, here is my way too over-confident and wildly speculative pick for the uniques:

*Kupe - Leader Ability*: Te Aurere - Maori units gain the ability to enter Ocean tiles after researching Foreign Trade. Embarked units gain +1 visibility.

*Maori Unique Ability*: Te Kahui Tupua / The sacred peaks - Geothermal Fissures provide an extra +1 culture and +1 faith. After every eruption of a volcanoe, +3 culture and +3 faith is added to each city within 3 tiles of the volcanoe.

*Unique Improvement* - Pa, an early fort replacement which can be built by builders. Units which are adjacent to the Pa also gain the fortification bonus.
May I ask why a modern infantry replacement? The abilities and unit seem super close to the Diggers by Australia. I would go for either the Maori warrior or the Haka (Maori war canoe).
Also I don't think they would give another Civ a bonus for geothermal fissures though something to do with volcanoes may work? I'm expecting something along the lines of military bonuses tied in to their culture.
However if the above is applied to their unique unit then the volcano bonus would work well.
I'm predicting we might get a UU that promotes into another UU for a different age, just like Hungary
We were getting 9 unique units. So I don't think another Civ will get 2 unless one of the Civs gets 2 unique infrastructure instead of a unit.

Okay haven slept on it and looked through the thread my gut still says Maori, even though some of the Quebec photos are close

I can definitely live with them even though I would like Huayna Capac this time for the Inca. It's harder to say I wouldn't like some named Suleiman the Magnificent again anyways to lead the Ottomans.
Huayna Capac is my preferred selection as well.

May I ask why a modern infantry replacement? The abilities and unit seem super close to the Diggers by Australia. I would go for either the Maori warrior or the Haka (Maori war canoe).
Also I don't think they would give another Civ a bonus for geothermal fissures though something to do with volcanoes may work? I'm expecting something along the lines of military bonuses tied in to their culture.
However if the above is applied to their unique unit then the volcano bonus would work well.

We were getting 9 unique units. So I don't think another Civ will get 2 unless one of the Civs gets 2 unique infrastructure instead of a unit.

I didn't think about the Australian Diggers. That is indeed too close in ability and time.
I don't think "Maori Warrior" is a good idea. That's akin to saying "American soldier" as a unique for America. It may have worked for the Polynesia blob civ in Civ V, but not for a Maori specific civ in this iteration.
You mean "Waka" (canoe) not "Haka" (war dance).

I like the idea of military bonuses tied to culture/faith.

The Wikipedia on them states:
Almost all pā are found on prominent raised ground, especially volcanic hills. The natural slope of the hill is then terraced. Dormant volcanoes were commonly used for pā in Auckland.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they get some sort of volcano/fissure adjacency like you mentioned in your UA.

Check out this ripply pale marble karstic cliff (and sweet cloudy mountaintop) from Kahurangi National Park in New Zealand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom