1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Sneak Peek 4/2

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Christian VIII of Denmark was king of Norway for 6 months in 1814 then later became king of Denmark in 1839. He fits the bill :)

rattatatouille and Kimiimaro like this.
  2. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

We don't have Portugal in the game (and I hope we get them in a future expac), but Pedro I of Brazil and Pedro IV of Portugal would be the same: he was the grandson of Maria I (the Portugal leader of Civ V), and was under the role of regent in Brazil that he declared the independence from Portugal, hence becoming Pedro I of Brazil. In 1826 his father died and he became Pedro IV of Portugal, but resigned because Portugal had recognised the brazilian independence and things would get nasty if he got to be king of both countries. So he resigned in favor of his daughter, Maria II of Portugal, and kept the title of emperor of Brazil. Afterwards he gave up the brazilian throne too in favor of his 5 year old son, Pedro II, our beloved Dom Satan, and went to Portugal, where he intervened in the politics and war, dying 3 years afterwards. He was king of both countries during a brief period, but never ruled both together at the same time. Though his meddling on the politics of Portugal after resigning the throne in Brazil could mean some power, at least for Civ leadership.

Kimiimaro and bbbt like this.
  3. Portinou

Portinou Chieftain

Well, I mean... generally speaking, sure there are some leaders who ruled several nations... but how many are so iconic they should appear in the VIP list of civilization leaders? Charlemagne and Kubilai Khan are the only obes IMHO. But this is subjective I concede.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Best. Line. Ever. :D

Yes, please, to Matilda.

5. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

But no, please, to Holy Roman Empire Civ. Like, ever :p

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Considering we have Frederick Barbarossa, Holy Roman Emperor, leading Germany, I think we're safe on that front. :p

CPWimmer, Duuk, Phoenix1595 and 2 others like this.
  7. Phrozen

Phrozen King

William II/III did, at least officially, lead the Netherlands and England at different times. During his reign in England he did kind of rule the Netherlands through a proxy though or at least exerted great influence.

wilcoxchar and bbbt like this.
  8. Heinage

Heinage Khan

Thank you, you made me laugh again :lol:
    I honestly hope these "Another victory for logic" posts become a staple of these sneak peaks over the years.
    Well done :thumbsup:

CPWimmer, Bosque, Kimiimaro and 3 others like this.
  9. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

because unless you're really into history you've never heard of her so it will be seen as an absolute shocker that such a non-entity has been chosen leading to accusations of simply being to fulfill an agenda.

Personally I think it's intriguing to have the dual ruler idea, not sure she's the best choice though, and I certainly wouldn't have announced her last, should have saved somebody more impactful for that.

CPWimmer and Red_warning like this.
  10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I really look forward to what unique abilities we get with Eleanor.

11. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

I'd like my +1 housing for every quarry pantheon now.

12. wilcoxchar

wilcoxchar Warlord

With leaders who led personal unions this isn't really a concern, because most pre-industrial and really pre-Westphalian states were ruled as composite monarchies during personal unions, I.e. governing both crowns as if they were separate countries. Some examples of this include Sigismund III Vasa in Poland and Sweden (could do either a Baltic Sea-related ability or a "King of the Jesuits" ability), Charles V of Spain and Germany (HRE), James VI/I of Scotland and England, and William III of the Netherlands and England (an interesting addition could be William and Mary together as a first multiple-person leader).

13. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Warlord

Well, I must admit that one of the reasons why I want a 3rd expansion is to play this little game again, starting to the beginning. It was so much fun!

Agree 100%. If Eleonor was known for something, it was mainly to have ruled two enemies countries at different times. Other leaders always have ruled their countries at the same time. They never had to switch sides and be in a situation where they could have attacked the first country they ruled.

The only other people I could think of are Henri III of France (being the first king of Poland. Bonus: he's the son of CdM. Malus: he did nothing worthly in his life, so making a leader about him would make less sense than Gorgo), or Bernadotte (but much about the funny story: he was a general under Popoléon and he was French ; Popoléon put him on the Sweden throne; Bernadotte then analyse the situation to see which country was the biggest threat for Sweden; he then join the league against Popoléon, the same guy that put him on the throne).

A leader leading multiple civs would make no sense for the most of what you propose. Victoria never was the enemy of Australia.

Bosque and bbbt like this.
  14. onepurpose

onepurpose Chieftain

Phillip II was also king of Portugal.

In fact, he said he was three-times king as he stated "I inherited it, I bought it, I conquered it" , referring to his mother inheritance (Isabel of Portugal, wife of Charles V), the bribery to Portuguese nobility, and the final conquest in war (campaign led by the duke of Alba against rival pretender , Prior of Crato).

Btw, the portrait is inaccurate, given he was blonde...

Kjimmet, Meluhhan, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  15. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

I look forward to it. But, side topid, do you think it would be harder or easier without the leak?

16. Our_DeCay

Our_DeCay Chieftain

Sorry to ruin your joke, because it is actually funny. Schizophrenia is often confused with split personality disorder. Probably because schizophrenia means 'split mind'. Schizophrenics suffer from severe hallucinations, but do not think they are multiple persons or act as multiple persons.

Ondolindë likes this.
  17. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Warlord

I have to admit, having the leak make me know which civ the sneak peek will be and, more importantly, which won't and which one I could demonstrate it obviously and rationally be. Not having leaks would make it harder (and maybe took away a little fun), but I can manage it.

But, after all, we had a leak for Vanilla (the leader portraits poster) and for GS. With little luck, we will have one for the thrid expansion or civilization 7 :mischief:

Kjimmet, CPWimmer, CivLuvah and 3 others like this.
  18. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

YESSS. MRA wigs be SNATCHED!

Pick 8 from:

Assyria - Sammuramat OR Hittites - Puduhepa
    Byzantines - Anna Dalassene
    Benin - Idia OR Ethiopia - Taytu Betul / Gudit
    Goths - Brunhilda of Austrasia OR Austria - Maria Theresa OR Italy - Catarina Sforza / Matilde di Canossa
    Iroquois - Jigonsahseh
    Maya - Lady Six Sky
    Portugal - Joao II (token male rep)
    Vietnam - Trung Trac

Alternative leader: Hatchepsut (Egypt) OR Cixi (China)

I STAN IT. Let us reblog this all over the channels to ensure it HAPPENS.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  19. MrRadar

MrRadar King

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I am no expert on the subject of course.

/serious_mode_OFF/

To tell the truth, the last time I read something related to the subject in historical context was in a wonderful opus by certain C. R. Fellestein, nearly two decades ago, and specifically this chapter. But I do recommend to read it in full and from the start, although it is based on a different ...uhm, reality that this forum usually operates in.
    ;)

Our_DeCay likes this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

No room for Argentina with Eva Peron or Caterina Sforza for Italy?
    Anyway I would definitely take that list though.

Everybody forgets about Alexander the Great leading obviously both Macedon and Greece. Plus Persia, Egypt etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.