1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Sneak Peek 4/2

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anandus

anandus Errorist

He also ruled the Netherlands

2. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

You forgot the most important one:

Tamar of Georgia (Everyone).

Kimiimaro likes this.
  3. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Why though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2019
  4. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Margrete I of Denmark/Norway/Sweden.

5. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

And Charles V Germany / I Spain is also missing in that list, altough previously mentioned in the thread

MrRadar and Siptah like this.
  6. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Definitely Tamar of Georgia.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

merge thread request

8. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

Oh, there are lots of scenarios:

1. “Yet another feminist agenda”
    2. “Why not Churchill/Louis XIV/Napoleon”
    3. “So you had resources to make TWO alternative leader models, but didn’t bother with just adding Portugal/Maya/Babylon?”
    4. “What an ugly leader model”

9. StrideColossus

StrideColossus Chieftain

Personally I'd sooner see more alternative leaders and LUAs for the existing civs, although obviously that is more effort from the devs perspective.

Most of the suggestions in this thread are tenuous at best, and a lot of them are England/A.N.Other due to the somewhat incestuous nature of western european royal families.

Leaders for multiple civs seems a bit gimmicky to me, it's fun I guess and (presumably) relatively cheap in terms of development costs to implement, i.e. two leaders using the same or similar models, but I don't really see the point. It's certainly the feature that I'm least interested in but YMMV of course.

10. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Don't forget "looks nothing like Katharine Hepburn".

Just watched that movie on TCM last night. Forget that this was a 1968 film which openly depicted gay affection.

GreenofKnight45 and CivLuvah like this.
  11. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Have we considered it could be Tamar of Georgia?

Kjimmet, Phoenix1595 and Kimiimaro like this.
  12. Steamboat Willem

Steamboat Willem Chieftain

And he was King of England while married to Mary.

13. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Chieftain

Well, last sneak peek, and no surprise, it has to be Eleonor of Aquitaine… or is it?

At first glance, we see some sort of white castle (as I proved it before, white castles => white rocks => white cliffs of Dover => Châteaux => France => Eleonor) with some flowers (flowers => love => court of love => Eleonor) and windows (windows made of glass => glass of water => water is aqua in Latin => Aquitaine => Eleonor) and bushes (bushes => vegetation => agricultural prominence => Europe granary => France => England’s enemy => England => Eleonor) and the sneak peek saying that it is a final leader (alternative leader => leak => Eleonor). It is simple. Trivial. Elementary. Obvious.

Too obvious.

@Siptah said that it was Cinderella’s castle, which is preposterous. It undoubtfully looks like the Château de Tiffauges (look it up on The Internet), renowned for being the castle that inspired Charles Perrault in writing La Barbe-Bleue (or Bluebeard). But what does that mean in the context of the sneak peek? Well, here we will have to wander in the vast wilderness of speculation, since we know for a fact that leaks and hints are just red herrings. This clearly mean we will have a fairy-tale leader. But not a literally fairy-tale leader. By fairy-tale leader, I mean a legendary, mythical leader, ala Dido, Gilgamesh or Teddy Roosevelt, famous people we have no certitude they existed for real. So, we know for sure that the new revealed leader is fictional (evidence A).

Now we just have to determine which mythical leader it is. Well, Henry VIII sometimes inherited the surname of Bluebeard by violently beheading his wives. The fact that the Château de Tiffauges is clearly depicted in the image is the evident link that the new civ that will be revealed is linked to England. But this is not enough: the number of countries that had one time or another been in trade with, insulted by or freed from England is just vastly ridiculous. But if we restrict ourselves around Henry VIII, we can safely assume that, since Henry VIII was a very religious king, and since Henry VIII was born catholic, the new leader will have some connection with Catholicism (evidence B).

Now, we know that we cannot trust the leak. Only 8 out of 9 reveals appeared to be correct (despite my numerous logical demonstrations that Firaxis like to destroy with passion), which means p>0.05. Statistically, it is irrelevant. But maybe we could use it. It says that one of the new leaders will be Eleonor. But which Eleonor? Eleonor of Aquitaine is not the only woman named Eleonor. And if it was a hint? The name Eleonor came from the Greek “eleos”, meaning “compassion”. Compassion is a word which the etymology means, roughly, “with passion” or “shared feelings”. A synonym could be “empathy”. Here, I should say that I’m completely improvising so I do not know more than you where this is heading. What is Empathy? Some philosophers and thinkers would say it is the opposite of Antipathy. “Anti-“ means “opposite”, so Antipathy is the opposite of pathy, which look close to “path”. This is clearly the sign that I am on the wrong path of my logical explanation so just abandon this paragraph and start it over, shall we?

Going back to the sneak peek! The bushes in front of the castle look suspiciously like Juniper, which, in French, is translated by Genévrier. Genévrier is used to produce Genièvre, a strong alcohol based on Genévrier. Genièvre is also a deformation of the name Guenièvre, which, in Englis, is Guinevere. Does that mean that Guinevere will be the next alt-leader, leading England and Scotland at the same time, showing the federation of Celtic clans by King Arthur? Don’t be ridiculous, you’re embarrassing yourself. But the new leader will have a link with Guinevere. And what did make Guinevere special? She was a woman. The new revealed leader is thus a woman (evidence C).

As I said before, the castle has glass window. But why glass? Is it simply to reflect a castle that is actually real, or is it a hint? Obviously, it is a hidden hint (I said this sentence so many times that I’m clearly amazed by my capacity to still convince myself with it). Glass is made of sand, and you can find sand in large quantities in the Sahara Desert. What other great empire was in the Sahara? We all know Mansa Mussa, also named Santahara Claus or Jolly Belly, leading the Mali. For what was known Santahara Claus? His humongous wealth, of course, and for his large faith. This leads us to two evidence: the new leader will be linked to large amount of gold (evidence D) and large amount of faith (evidence E).

I think we have here all the data needed to determine which leader it is. We must have a fictional woman, leading a rich and religious country. The only solution is Dido lead Phoeni… Wait, no, that’s already done. What I meant was the only solution is Pope Joan is leading Rome. The new fuss about “One leader leading two civilizations” is a hoax, and you should be ashamed to fell for that trick.

Another victory for logic.

kzcosme, CPWimmer, Bosque and 18 others like this.
  14. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Chieftain

This one is guaranteed, and, in my opinion, it's becoming increasingly tiring to see such significant portions of various gaming communities react like this seemingly every single time a woman shows up either as a protagonist or other significant character. If only Civilization would have been exempt from this, but alas, no such blessing has graced us.

15. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Don’t forget Glenn Close— she did a great version of Eleanor, too.

Anyway, I hope players learn more about Eleanor as a result. Alison Weir wrote a great bio of her several years ago that I highly recommend.

Eleanor was remarkable, and played many different roles throughout her life. Firaxis seems to be focusing on the “Court of Love” portion of her life, which played a huge role in developing Angevin culture, but Eleanor also went on Crusade, played the kingmaker ( for herhusbands first, and then her sons), and was a leader in her own right as heiress and Duchess of Aquitaine, which eclipsed both Louis and Henry’s lands in terms of wealth. For those put off by a strong woman, grow up.

16. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

Despite there being many examples of women leaders in history that actually deserve to be in the series.

GreenofKnight45 likes this.
  17. wilcoxchar

wilcoxchar Chieftain

Eleanor of Aquitaine for England and France
    Charlemagne for France and Germany
    Sigismund III for Sweden and Poland
    Kublai Khan for Mongolia and China
    William of Orange for the Netherlands and England
    James I for England and Scotland
    Oscar II for Sweden and Norway
    Muhammad Ali for Egypt and Ottomans (a stretch but would be interesting)

Probably a few more I could find or remember if I was looking seriously instead of what came to mind quickly.

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

:lol:

Didn't Civ2 technically have the most female leaders? :)

19. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Sigismund Vasa of Sweden and Poland, Henri de Valois of Poland and France, Louis d'Anjou of Hungary and Poland, James Stuart of England and Scotland, William of Orange of the Netherlands and England, Charlemagne of France and Germany, Frederick Hohenstauffen of Germany and Rome...

20. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Chieftain

What's so funny about not adding The Maya?

gozpel and Kimiimaro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.