So many leftist on these boards?

Ok, I'm just imagining religious power in Saddam's (Baathist) Iraq. Surely, religion was not a major factor in the power structure.

According to Iraq's CURRENT constitution:

Islam is the state religion and a basic foundation for the country's laws,[3] and no law may contradict the established provisions of Islam.

That's real secular!

According to Iraq's CURRENT constitution:

That's real secular!

You're right that it's not! The people of Iraq, unlike the Ba'athists who ruled before them, do not support a secular state, but a traditional state with a state religion, which is not the same thing as theocracy. That's what you get when you support democracy!

Islam was the state religion under Saddam. It also dictated their laws.

Even though things have gotten better, Iraq is still not secular. That's what the current constitution has to do with this.

Further, if you are going to pretend that Islam is not a major power in Iraq, then and now, then whatever.

The people of Iraq, unlike the Ba'athists who ruled before them, do not support a secular state, but a traditional state with a state religion, which is not the same thing as theocracy.

1. Baathists supported a state religion.

2. Baathists methodically eliminated everyone of the other religious factions from the government even before Saddam's arrival. There was nothing left in the governmet power structure to be secular about... everyone was a Sunni/Baathist by 1970.

Islam was the state religion under Saddam. It also dictated their laws.

No, it didn't dictate their laws. Many countries have a state religion. honestly Ecofarm do you actually know anything whatsoever about this topic or did you just assume Arab bad guy>must be a theocratic dictator? You are displaying astounding ignorance here, and you still haven't even attemted to back up your claims about the power of mosques.

Back it up, or take it back.

No, it didn't dictate their laws. Many countries have a state religion. honestly Ecofarm do you actually know anything whatsoever about this topic

RRW, countries with a state religion are by definition not secular. You do realize that dont you?

RRW, countries with a state religion are by definition not secular. You do realize that dont you?

I certaintly do. However I think its fairly safe to say the CoE is not dictating the UK's laws and the Lutherian (or whatever proddy church they have) is in control of Swden and Denmark. Nor do I blame those churches for the actions of Blair, Brown etc... Ecofarm is way off and even you must know it. All opinion, no fact.

You got me there, Bill.

I think we can just accept that mosques have MAJOR power in Iraq then and now.

Anyway, regarding government... in addition to the Baathist purging up until 1970, what about this:

Saddam Hussein and the Ba'ath Party resorted to a number of techniques to split Iraq's majority Shia community and render their opposition ineffective, according to Baram. The party tried, and, in many cases succeeded, to co-opt Shi'i clergy. Thus, following massive anti-regime demonstrations in February 1977, the regime issued a new "Law of the Service of Men of Religion" which turned them into government officials, with a salary increase of between 50 and 100 percent and extensive social benefits. Many ulama were either lured or coerced into expressing support for the regime. Those whom the regime could not buy off or coerce, they deported, imprisoned, executed, or assassinated.
http://www.usip.org/events/state-mosque-relations-iraq-1968-2004

Does that sound secular?

Originally Posted by MobBoss
I certaintly do.

Then the debate is over. Saddam endorsed a state religion. Iraq was secular compared to other mid-east countries... not in general.

Cool, I like it when I win. [party]

Wasn't Tariq Aziz a Christian?

By gum he was!

I know ;)

Was my question rhetorical?

Yes, I noticed. Hence why I said that instead of, say, being srs.

Saddam's state was overtly secular in character. Why he has ever been associated with a theocracy is beyond me.

Because many peop[le'd brains just go ahead and switch off when Islam is mentioned

His country was held together by a common religious belief and his power derrived from Islam (sunni muslim).

Explain what you mean by this, and yes, citation is needed Ecofarm. Explain what you mean. That sentance, not anything else. What were you referring to?

The only reason the other sunnis supported him without question is because sunni islam says so.

Explain what you mean by this, and yes, citation is needed Ecofarm. Explain what you mean. That sentance, not anything else. What were you referring to?

He also slaughtered the Kurds and horsehockye muslims on a regular basis.

Explains what this has to do with religion and how it shows how religion moptivated Saddam. Please alsom explain how in the context of almost all Kurds being Sunni themselves. Explicitly explain this contradication.

His genocide was largely based on religion (although Kurds are sunni, they disobeyed his rule), but you pretend religion has nothing to do with his regime.

Explain how his genocide was laregly based on religion. explicitly explain that assertion.

Iraq is a bastion of backwards religious teachings, and Islam has everything to do with that. Islam is so much a part of the state and the law, it can hardly be separated.

Show how. Explain your remark and show how, explaining the difference between the UK and Sweden's state religions and Iraq's under Saddam. Prove your point or withdraw it.

Please, spare us the "Saddam and Iraq had nohing to do with religion!" Saddam's secularism was only skin-deep window dressing.

Show how. Explicitly show how the Baathist state was motivated by religion and how Saddam personally was. Explain how his genocides were motivated by religion.

I know Saddam was a muslim and ALL OF HIS PEOPLE are muslim, and I'm not buying any BS about him being a secularist. I know it is "common knowledge", but I find to to be "common BS". It wouldn't be the first time that a bunch of people bought a load of BS, ya know.

It wouldn't be the first time you have taken a contrary position without having any understanding of a subject for the first time either.

When the entire country gets on their knees 5 times a day and stones their wives, I'm not buying the secular BS. Sorry.

When did this happen? what are you talking about? Either explain what you mean here, and if you dont, it officially becomes classified as "eco's imagination"

The mosque could decide who lived and who died.

They determined who got stoned, who got raped and who got FGM.

Those clerics could dictate life and death... that is very real power in the hands of the church. They might not have acted directly to Saddam's orders, but their power was absolute (below him).

So what if they were not offcially part of the government?

Well given the fct that this entire argument started because of your bizarre, unfounded and unsupported claims about Saddam being motivated by Islam, your entire point collapses without this.

They acted as the legislature, judiciary and executioners. When the church decides who lives and who dies... that's kinda theocracy - even if the church is only sanctioned by and not part of the state.

As far as the power of the mosques, no citation is needed.

Of course it is. When you make a ridiculous claim that flies in the face of all common knowledge and sense, you do need to back it up, otherwise you look like an ignorant, dimwitted idiot, and I know you are none of those things.

Saying Iraq was secular is only possible when one examines merely the official/paper government policy at top levels (ignoring the power of mosques) and ignores 90% of Baath Party history.

'The power of the mosques' is something you and you alone seem to be privy to. Tell us what you are referring to.

"underground" means "not state sponsored" but "illegal"

This is important Eco. Explain how your entire argument isn't destroyed by this point. Dont ignore it, respond to it.

I think we can just accept that mosques have MAJOR power in Iraq then and now.

Now? yes. Then? I dont think we can accept that, which is why every single person who has posted on this topic so far is disagreeing with you.

Then the debate is over. Saddam endorsed a state religion. Iraq was secular compared to other mid-east countries... not in general.

What debate? I never said Iraq under Saddam was secular. you just imagined I did.

Top Bottom