1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Space 5 - Old hands can be newbs too, getting back in the game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Succession Games' started by a space oddity, May 25, 2013.

1. TedJackson

TedJackson Cunning old Celt

Just seems to be one thing after another at the moment :( Hopefully things will start to even out soon.

Hope you enjoyed your break :)

Ted

2. Optional

Optional Deity

lurker's comment: Now this annoying1! My game tells me I can't upload your save because I haven't got the required DLC installed; it says I'm lacking Mongolia, Babylon and Upgrade 1. Duh!.. The game's mixed up about requirements. :(
    All of Greek territory will have The Great Wall. Don't believe the graphic, it's wrong; the graphic never covers all the land it should be covering, while it does extend to sea tiles where it shouldn't.

The Great General gives a 20% strength bonus to every unit within a range of 2 tiles. Just the units of the civ the general belongs to, and it need to be land units on land, and err... also the Great General needs to be on land, just to be complete with info. The Great General itself can't do anything, it's a civilian unit like a worker, and actually more vulnerable than a worker, because the AI won't always snatch an exposed worker, but it will immediately dispose of a general if it sees a chance.

What the Great General also can do is making a citadel, but I'm not exactly sure anymore how this worked in vanilla. I think the tile needs to be in or adjacent to your own territory, and that it gives 50% or 100%(?) strength bonus to your unit on the tile.
    In Gods & Kings the citadel got much better, given a culture bomb effect, I love going Honour and get a Great General early, and in this game I would have used the citadel to steal incense + 6 iron from Venice with it, but this isn't Gods & Kings, so I'm just blabbering. :crazyeye:

Since I can't look at the game I can't check where you exactly are with policies, but it's often good to finish the Liberty tree straight away and get a free great person of your choice (bonus for finishing the tree). Has Republic been taken yet?

For free great person players often take an engineer for rushing a wonder, or a scientist for insta-discovering a tech. You will want to start discussing now which way you want to go, because it would affect which techs you want to research.

3. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

lurker's comment:

Mongolia, Babylon and Upgrade 1 are intalled as standard as far as I know. I had this problem once, and I did a reinstall to fix it.

4. a space oddity

a space oddity Deity GOTM Staff

I hope so too. I'm sure it will. :)

I sure did, Sardegna is beautiful this time of year. :cool:

I have attached an overview of our units around Teds' Keep. I forgot how difficult it is in 5 to see where what unit is. This is the clearest map I can get. MB-R will finish it's Sword in four turns so it probably can join the party.

The Republic policy will help production, so it seems like a good choice at this stage.

Technology-wise I'm inclined to go with Education to bee-line to Astronomy and help us with science in various ways, or so the civilopedia says.

Attached Files:

5. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

Babylon is only installed as standard if you have deluxe edition I believe..
    the other 2 are standard though

6. a space oddity

I am sorry to take this long, but the current week is much busier than I anticipated. If someone wants to play, go ahead, otherwise I'll play this weekend.

7. AlanH

Fine by me! I think the pace is getting back closer to what I was expecting. Two turn sets in less than 10 days was a bit more than I was bargaining for!

8. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

No problem here either.

Attacking in Civ5 is a different experience because the city can defend itself. And with Great Wall, we will not have the freedom of movement we would otherwise enjoy.

Planning the attack is a good idea.

And RL is just too much atm... :hide:

9. TedJackson

TedJackson Cunning old Celt

Take your time - it might even give me a chance to finally catch up ;)

Ted

10. a space oddity

So the first turns will be setting up to prepare to backstab Alex. I leave the military builds as they are.

IBT:
    "The fact that you were denounced by Greece no longer holds sway with other leaders."
    I haven't a clue what that means but it sounds positive... :)

Turn 101 350 BC
    Worker at Ted's Keep moves NW to start Farm.
    The Sword in Russia's area remains to watch Greece pounding Moscow.
    The game tells me the General can stack with other units, so he gets cover by an Archer.
    Moving the units at Ted's Keep North to the hills west of Corinth.

IBT:
    Alex's troops kill another Russian Warrior and retreat to heal.
    Cathy made peace with Alex.
    Our peace treaty with Alex expires...

Turn 102 325 BC
    We can get the Sword out of MB-R a turn earlier we running -2gpt for one turn, I think it is worth it.

IBT:
    Alex doesn't like the troops amassing at his borders. :) I tell him not to worry about it, we are not ready to declare just yet, or so I think.
    Russia protects Cape Town and makes peace with Genoa.

Turn 103 300 BC
    MB-R finishes its Sword and I would very much like it to start the Great Library, but a unit is probably better, so I start a Spear.
    SS finishes the catapult and starts on a Cheriot Archer.
    Worker starts Plantation on the Bananas.

It looks like Alex is now exposed a bit, so we could declare right now. Decide to stop for discussion.

Attached Files:

11. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

Space,

I would avoid putting units on the red tiles as they can be bombarded from Sparta and from the tiles around Sparta. I would put ranged units on the green tiles and the general on the purple tile. I don't think you need to have all the tiles occupied in order to declare, but I would at least have one cat in range. At some point the general and unit will have to move from that tile to allow a sword through on the blue arrow. So I think you can get 3 units in position on the next turn and that means war of course.

The sword near Moscow should retreat. Taking out the hoplite would leave it vulnerable to the Greek catapult. If Russia and Greece are at peace now then will they have open borders? The sword might be safe where it is - I can't tell.
    There are a couple of spears floating around, and they should garrison towns IMO.

I don't like the chariot on that hill. I'm thinking that you should attack the catapult with it, and maybe the greeks will withdraw it towards Sparta.

I think we have enough units in theatre and in production, so next builds should be infrastructure I think.

Finally, we have a social policy adoption coming up. We should pick one that gives happy faces. If we take out two or three cities we're going to be short of happy people.

Space 5 warplan.jpg

12. a space oddity

What will it do to our rep when we move into his territory before declaring? Which is what you are suggesting, if I understand correctly.

13. AlanH

You can't move into his territory before declaring as far as I know. But if it were possible, previous comments in here indicate that rep is not the same concept in this game as it was in Civ3.

14. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

I'm quoting myself now :blush: In order to take up the positions on the dotmap we have to declare. So as many units as possible should be one turn from their positions just before we declare. As before, I don't think you need a unit on each tile for the first round - it's the cat with the general that will do the damage anyway. You could use more swords, but I don't know how to get swords within striking range at the same time as the ranged units - and you have to move the ranged units out of the way (wasting a turn) to get the swords past. Maybe a sword on the general tile would be the way to go with a cat and an archer on either side. After the first turn of bombardment you could advance the sword one tile and backfill with another. Next turn, hopefully you can bombard and attack with a sword.

I don't know what I'm talking about of course, but it's what I would do.

15. AlanH

You can swap two units if you want to get ranged units past melée ones. But both use up a movement point in doing so.

16. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Finally got s chance to look at the save. :)

A couple of general things, we will soon need some serious happiness. We are two turns from Civil Service and we will get some good food additions from our river farms. We can build, when time permits, a Circus in Ted's Keep. Suggest we also consider researching Construction for the Colosseum and Circus Maximus. Best long term solution is to get to Astronomy and find some other civs to trade with.

Social Policy comes due in a couple of turns. We could open Commerce and get a 25% boost to gold production in the Capital, where most of our gold is coming from anyway.

The War:
    Best to set up as many bombard type units as possible on the western hills of Corinth to immediately start the bombardment of the city. It will require a couple of turns anyway, so we will have time to move melee type units into place.

Think we will need more than one Catapult. :eek:
    Perhaps build one in MB?
    Think if we attacked now we will experience a setback.

Two ways to take a city, with lots of Melee units or with lots of Bombard units. Have seen in GOTM where players march a bunch or Archer type units (XBows) with a few Melee and take a continent. Perhaps try a test game and try attacking cities. :)

17. a space oddity

Yes, that is probably what is needed, but I totally lack the time ATM. So much as I loath to do this after my warmongering talk before :blush:, I think I will have to either postpone the declaration 'til after my next seven turns or hand over the save as it is.

18. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

Space,if you want to swap then I am able to play tomorrow. Othrwise, just wait until you are free. Plenty of war for you if you swap.

19. a space oddity

Thanks MB, I will play now to gather some more units and try to set them up for you to fill the green spots in one turn.

20. a space oddity

Continued:

So we hold off of war for a couple more turns.

Turn 103 300 BC
    We already have two cats and one being built, so I decided to have MB continue its Spear.

IBT
    Alex retreats the cat into Corinth.

Turn 104 275 BC
    Since it will take a couple of turns before we attack, I use the Chariot Archer to scout more of Alex' lands.
    SS: Sword -> Stone Works
    SS is now guarded by a Spear, the other gets sent to MB-R.

IBT
    Caterine is now able to buy Medieval Style dresses.

Turn 105 250 BC
    We finish our Social Policy and as Leif suggested I open Commerce.
    We now knw what Civil Servants are, so we start Construction, due in 3 turns, will start Education next.

IBT
    Nothing

Turn 106 225 BC
    I'm sending Workers up north to build some more roads, they will need to be guarded later.

IBT
    Nothing

Turn 107 200 BC
    I really have to get going, so I will stop here and hand over to MB. We should be in a much better position to attack now than we were earlier. MB-R was constructing a Spear that was due next turn, but the build got transformed to Pike which will be ready in three.

Sorry about the patchy turnset.

Attached Files: