1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Speculation] Indonesia/Majapahit/Srivijaya

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by seancolorado, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

As other have mentioned, the estrategic location of Majapahit in the Indian Ocean trade made it possible for it to get enourmously rich.

Maybe they could get a bonus on sea trade depending on the number of Civs trading with the same CS?

Imagine you have Venice, and both you and Portugal trade with Venice, so you get bonus trade revenue (gold,science, etc). It could be a trickle, but if you start to mass trade with lots of CS (and they trade with other civs) you could get a snowball effect, and force you to try your best to protect those CS's. (Suddenly Austria and Mongolia become your main targets)

Couple that with a bonus that benefits from having more religous diversity, and you've got a very fun Civ to play

2. AessaSH

AessaSH Warlord

Shameless bump~ :p
    Argh.. I cannot stand waiting.. :cringe:

3. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

I would like to see Indonesia included, it would be a nice unique addition to Civ that would cover a large part of South East Asia on the Earth map

4. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

So, we've had some reveals in the last month--Portugal having a definite focus on maritime trade, and a civ with a focus on a specific resource, for instance. How do you guys think they bode for Indonesia?

5. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Really have no idea. My confidence in them making it lessens with each revealed civ, but it's hard to say at this point.

The consensus within CivFanatics, as you know, is Indonesia vs. Vietnam, but it's even possible neither make it

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

At this point that's what it boils down to in my opinion for the Asian civs.

There's a chance it might be a Silk Road civ instead, but I'm guessing the semi-confirmed Moroccans and their Kasbah UI/UB would probably fill the Silk Road civ's niche.

Others have thrown up Khmer and Burma as possibilities, but I think at this point the only true contenders are Indonesia and Vietnam in terms of a new Asian civ. I'm pretty sure we'll get one Asian civ, though, so all's not lost for the case of Indonesia and Vietnam.

7. bob massingbird

bob massingbird Chieftain

Well I hope "mysterious civ-related resources" means some kind of Indonesian-related civ. Surely it is not that far fetched, as luxury resources like coffee, cinnamon, camphor, nutmeg, black pepper and clove are all closely related with the country.

8. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

Majapahit could be a civ that spread very quickly a lot of little cities (the "100 vassals/tributaries") , particulary on archipelago (maybe an early embarkation bonus like polynesia). Maybe a bonus with spices? or a unique ressource with "cloves"?

9. MARDUK80

MARDUK80 Prince

+1 support for Tribhuwana as the leader of Java/Majapahit Civilization. The best choice by far and the game deserves more female leaders, imho:queen:

Tribhuwana "Tribhuwana Wijayatunggadewi or known in her regnal name Tribhuwannottunggadewi Jayawishnuwardhani, was a Javanese queen regnant and the third monarch of the Majapahit empire, reigning from 1328 to 1350. She appointed Gajah Mada as prime minister and pursued massive expansion of the empire. In 1331, she led the army herself to the battle field. Tribhuwana's reign is famous for the expansion of Majapahit. In 1343 Majapahit conquered the Kingdom of Pejeng (Bali), Dalem Bedahulu, and the entire island of Bali. Adityawarman was sent to conquer the rest of the Kingdom of Sriwijaya and the Kingdom of Melayu in 1347."

10. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

The only one I could just about buy is Coffee, and as has been said elsewhere, it would make more sense for Coffee to either be specifically associated with Brazil or to be available for everyone than for it to be connected to Indonesia. The others I think are all covered under the bracket of 'Spices' in the game, and so are unlikely to be added separately.

Of course, they could always be messing with us and in fact what they are doing is getting rid of Spices as a luxury and separating it into different kinds, some of which are linked to the Indonesian Civ in some way...

11. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I really hope she is their leader if they are added. A meaningful female leader is always a good choice - I think they'd go for it.

12. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

If Indonesia is picked then no doubt they would choose Tribhuwana. Although Gajah Mada looks awesome too:

13. alpha2117

alpha2117 Prince

I think it's very likely that an Asian Civ makes it in (90%) and the 4 obvious choices are Timurid, Vietnam, Khmer and Majapahit (Indonesia). Majapahit appears to fit the tenets of the expansion best covering both trade & tourism very well. The Vietnam proponents would probably disagree but I think it's 40% Majapahit, 30% Vietnam, 20% Timurid, 10% Khmer in terms of likelyhood.

14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Now that's a leaderscreen, right there.

15. dagriggstar

dagriggstar King

Could be an "upgrade" for example - when spices fall within the Indonesian empire, it turns into "nutmeg", which yields double happiness and trade income.

16. LordProtector

LordProtector Digger

A nutmeg or clove resource may well be the answer to that particular riddle. But taking the new World Congress features into consideration, I think it's more likely we'll see a big game resource - tiger, rhino, or orangutan.

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Nutmeg and clovers are already under the spices resource.

Maybe an exotic animal might be the new resource - maybe - as it might fit under the World Congress resource ban thingy.

18. Nirosi

Nirosi Hymenopus Coronatus

And this might be a hint for Indonesia as it has the world's second highest biodiversity( Nr.1 obiviously Brazil)

19. PrimoXanthous

PrimoXanthous ~ knightmare13 ~

as we all knew before we have Civs like Korea, Denmark, Sweden, Austria and the Celts, we have have the City States first like Seoul, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Vienna and Edinburgh. And with the release of GnK we have the new maritime CS "Jakarta".. so in my opinion the chances with Srivijaya or Majahapit are low and the chances with Indonesia far more greater if they would add new SE Asian civ.
    SE Asia has only 1 civ (Siam or thailand) in the game and 3 CS (Jakarta, Manila, Hanoi) i would really like to see another SE Asian Civ from those 3 CS T_T

20. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

I'd be quite dissapointed, to be frank, if they did a modern Indonesian Civ, since they have a great chance for an older Civilisation with a rich history.

Anyways, if Indonesia is goin to be resource-tied like some people are suggesting, and if it isn't going to be some sort of spice resource, then I guess the next most likely resource could be Javan Rhinos, or more generically, just Rhinos. It would also tie in with world congress. That along with a trade bias and Borobodur makes Srivijaya/Majapahit out to be quite the poster-Civ for Brave New World.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.