Sri Lanka 2: A Tamil Narrative (not an OCC) for RFC DoC

Government Reports, Part 10: Expansion and Europe

Compiled and edited by Adiyaman, Chief Secretary and General Assistant to the Emperor and Karthikai, Chief Government Archivist, dated to 1450 AD.

Open Borders treaties were signed on behalf of our empire by explorers with Tibet and Morocco.

In 1390, the empire's pouplation reached a new record at 10 million.

Many new civilizations were met in Europe and the Mediterranean.

New armies of Musketmen were being trained and mobilized with the assistance of Great Generals.

Meanwhile, an older army landed outside of the Independent state of Dai Viet's capital, Hanoi, and prepared attacked the city.

The city of Hanoi was finally captured by our glorious empire. The entirety of Dai Viet was put under direct control from Anuradhapura, marking Anuradhapura's first step in controlling all of Southeast Asia.

End of report.

What are your victory plans?

Score/space race.

i wonder if siam is hanoied at you
Spoiler :
see what i did there? hanoied instead of annoyed?
i'll go sit in the corner now...

Wat did you just say?
Spoiler :
See what I did? Buddhist wat instead of what?
Looks like I'm joining you in the corner, Moai Spammer...

Sorry that I have not updated this for a while. I hadn't been able to think of a good middle story arc. However, this story will go on for quite a while. I can't think of a better way to celebrate my 1000th post.

Sincerely,

mrrandomplayer

The First Voyage, Prologue
Compiled by the Anuradhapura navy, dating to approximately 1300 AD.

Oliveanthan wasn't sure whether to jump for joy or hang himself. He was named after a great hero of the Tamil Empire (see "On the Back of an Elephant" for more information about that."), and he had been chosen 6 months ago to be the captain of the very first westward voyage on the newly-invented Dharani, chirstened the Sri Lanka. That morning was his last morning in his home, for he was about to set off on the greatest journey ever attempted by a Tamil.

As Oliveanthan walked down to the Royal Anuradhapura Harbor, his heart was pounding. He and his crew had been training for months, going out on practice trips and learning the powerful capabilities of the grand new ship. He did not feel the slightest bit ready for the westward expedition into the unknown, but he still kept going.

He continued walking and strolled down the piers. He had intentionally came early to sit out on the dock and reflect on his life up until that point.

Life had been relatively uneventful for most of Oliveanthan's time alive. He had heard many stories about the attack on Indonesia and the power of the Dharanis as a warship, and that had inspired him to join the Naval Academy. He had excelled in his studies and graduated at the top of his class, and was chosen to be the captain of the voyage for that very reason. Now, he was barely 24, he had no family, yet he was about to go on a world-changing trip.

Time passes slowly when someone is waiting for something, but then disappears when it is done. That was the case for Oliveanthan, because while the rest of the morning passed slowly, the departure time suddenly was looming over him. Around 10:00, he saw the Emperor approach him. He bowed when he came near.

"Rise, please do rise. Are you and your crew excited for the voyage?" asked Rajendra.

"All of us are extremely nervous, but I'm sure that you can understand that," responded Oliveanthan.

"I would be just as nervous in your position," explained the immortal, "but the official send-off is in an hour. Crowds are starting to flow in, so I would recommend that you get on your ship. Unless you want to deal with needless questions and paparazzi."

"You are very right there," laughed Oliveanthan, "I will board my ship now."

An hour later, the harbor was overcrowded with cheering, excited crowds. After a long speech by the Emperor, the Sri Lanka finally left harbor and set off. the voyage had begun.

Where is that ship going?

fanfiction.com :p

Government Reports, Part 11: European Encroachment
Compiled and edited by Adiyaman, Chief Secretary and General Assistant to the Emperor and Karthikai, Chief Government Archivist, dated to 1465 AD.

An update on the voyage will also be posted soon.

Not long after meeting the various European nations, some of them began to show their upstart presence in our sphere of influence, Southeast Asia!

However, Tamil diplomats traded technologies and secrets to other non-European nations to help bolster our standing. Meanwhile, our Glorious King Rajendra Chola began to build up a bigger army.

Meanwhile, the Vietnam Expeditionary force closed in on the last non-sovereign city, the city of Mandalay.

However, during the looting that followed the capture of the city, an accidental fire broke out, and the city was burnt to the ground.

Tamil scientists made revolutionary accomplishments in discovering Astronomy, enabling the Tamil navy to become more powerful and Tamil science to approach the Europeans.

Yet another European nation, the English, were met. While weak at that moment, the Emperor had a feeling that the English would become a major thorn in the Tamils' side later...

With their former masters, the Palas, dead and worried about encroaching Mughal and Mongol influence, the Tibetan Kingdom placed itself under our rightful protection and ownership.

As more people became wary of the growing European menace, a group of fanatical Buddhist militants staged a revolution, asserting the claim that Rajendra Chola was the head of the Buddhist world.

End of report.

You need to prepare against Portugal, England and (possibly) France before troops from their trading companies begin demanding your cities.

I prepared a lot, but funnily enough, I lucked out with the Portuguese. You'll see about the English...

This story deserves new life. I sincerely hope you're going to revive it. I might contribute with some accounts from Northern India based on the history around that time :) .

Also a suggestion, use a few historic pics for your updates. I can find them for you :D .

Agreed :) You should invade England :mwaha:

Gameplay update coming soon.

Westward Journey, Part 2

Oliveanthan strolled the deck, passing the time of the 9th day of the voyage. The initial excitement from the beginning of the voyage had petered away, and now Oliveanthan felt he was truly beginning to get to know the other important people on the ship. He had enough time; the leading Tamil mathematicians expected them to make land in a land called "Ethiopia" within the next few days. One of those mathematicians was Aekan, who was the scientist on board.

Aekan was many things: he was officially the scientist and mathematician, but he had so many other talents, such as artist, poet, musician, inventor, and orator. However, he was one of the most incompetent sailors on board. He was heaving his insides out the second the shore couldn't be seen and had some of the most inefficient habits conceivable on a ship. He used way too much water in every way and nearly fell of the mast during watch. Besides his naval ineptitude, he was an amazing asset to the crew.

Kaarmuhil was another mathematician on the ship, but he was the navigator. However, he was extremely quiet and introverted, rarely speaking up much. But behind this quiet exterior was an extremely smart and wise man, because Kaarmuhil was one of the best navigators and one of the best problem-solvers that Oliveanthan had ever met, making him an extremely valuable part of the crew.

Bavajan was not a mathematician, sailor, scientist, or practitioner of the fine arts; he was a man of the military, short and simple. He certainly was skilled in military practices, as he showed everybody during weapons training, and he was very ambitious and hard-working. However, he was quite arrogant and occasionally racist towards non-Tamils, calling them "inferior subjects" and calling Lanh, the last-minute Vietnamese addition to the crew, a "Dirty Viet spy" and other derogatory terms.

Devamithren was the diplomat of the ship, and certainly was a master of the craft. She also was a woman, and took great steps to break down the male-only barriers of higher Tamil society. She had been sent to many countries and embassies, including China, Tibet, Korea, and even Persia, and spoke 6 languages. She was also extremely clever and quick-thinking, as she managed to escape Persia alone after the rest of her diplomatic group was attacked by Seljuks.

Not everyone on board was a government person. Gajeevan was a doctor by trade, and he was the ship's official doctor and cook. Every single one of his meals were eagerly anticipated, as he was an amazingly good chef. Additionally, he was the most extroverted person on board, happily striking up a conversation with just about anyone he saw.

Lastly, there was Lanh. He was a last-minute addition, added to the crew less than a week before departure as the official second diplomat on the trip. However, everyone was secretly informed that he was sent for espionage purposes. He was even quieter than Kaarmuhil, partially because Tamil was not his first language. A native of recently conquered Vietnam, he had risen through the espionage services faster than anyone before him. When he did speak, he made his points clear with very few words.

Oliveanthan's thoughts were suddenly interrupted by Kaarmuhil.

"Captain, it appears that the people who planned our voyage have made some severe miscalculations and have failed to account for strong winds. We've been blown way off course and are somewhere on the southeast coast of Africa," he said very matter-of-factly.

"Do we know how long the coastline extends for?" asked Oliveanthan.

"No, we do not. What would you like to do now?" responded Kaarmuhil.

Oliveanthan thought for a few seconds. "The coastline must round at some point," he said slowly, "we might just have to keep going around the hypothetical cape at the tip."

I have noticed the Tamils perform better than India. In a domination challenge on the DOC thread the Tamils achieved it 200 years before India did. As the Tamils, I usually focus on building a pan-Indian ocean empire. Australia's West coast + Whole of South East Asia + United South Asia + Persian gulf cities + Arab Southern Coast + East Africa (all of it) . After that vassalize at will. Perhaps extend over the Pacific to vassalize the Peruvians and Aztecs and save them from the conquerors :p . Then take over all of Africa and exploit the crap outta them for resources, and announce the Empire of Karuturi global :D . Max out your corporation income and play a game centered around maxing your greedy capitalists' wealth and be really imperialistic .. that game would have made for such an epic story :O .

Note : "Karuturi Global ltd" is a big Indian land owning corporation which has been charged with land grabbing across East Africa : http://kafila.org/2013/03/06/indian-land-grab-in-africa-sputnik-kolambi/

A scene from the battle of Kedah :

Source : This article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chola_Navy#Other_naval_arms

Here's an interesting thought : "Colandia, the great ships which was used by Early Cholas.[clarification needed] By this they sailed to pacific islands from Kaveripatnam(as center).[10] At that time, Pattinathu Pillai is the chief of the Chola's Navy."

Top Bottom