Statecraft Opener Theme Question

MIS

Prince
This isn't about balance; I'm not a good enough player to figure that out. I don't get how the opener ties into the theme.
1695483339318.png

The opener seems to reward going wide (like a good progress opener); it doesn't have anything to do with Trade routes, City-States, Spies, or the World Congress. I don't get each extra policy giving an extra gold per city either (obviously the diplo help is right on point). I'm playing Austria Diplo and feel Tradition->Statecraft is being punished. Help on understanding the tie-in will be appreciated.

Gold funds diplomacy greatly. Lets you purchase diplomatic units since there are no penalties for doing so. Statecraft is mainly a wide civ choice (i feel tradition + statecraft are weird regarding this). I feel it functions similarly to Rationalism with lackluster scaler and opener but in exchange for more engaging and versatile choices.

Gold funds diplomacy greatly. Lets you purchase diplomatic units since there are no penalties for doing so. Statecraft is mainly a wide civ choice (i feel tradition + statecraft are weird regarding this). I feel it functions similarly to Rationalism with lackluster scaler and opener but in exchange for more engaging and versatile choices.
Makes sense with the gold. If your playing Austria, would you go Tradition/Statecraft, or something else? I know another player said he preferred progress with Austria. though I've also heard Austria (with Byzantium and Arabia) are the best tradition civs.

Makes sense with the gold. If your playing Austria, would you go Tradition/Statecraft, or something else? I know another player said he preferred progress with Austria. though I've also heard Austria (with Byzantium and Arabia) are the best tradition civs.
If I'm going tradition on Austria, I'm going to go Artistry to double down on their GPP generation.

If I'm going Progress, I'm definitely going Statecraft

I think Austria now is very flexible policy wise. I think all three ancient trees are good, and both artistry or statecraft is a solid choice now

Top Bottom