1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SteamDB: "Bison" Depot??

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Scirocco16V, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

Really? The Iroquois have a grey background and this looks green to me - or is it tinted?

2. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

That uses the old Trading posts model -it's most likely an old screenshot ft. Iroquois, India, China and Greece (all vanilla civs).

3. Rob (R8XFT)

Ah well, seems I picked up on an old screenshot then. It was fun to be in blissful ignorance for a couple of minutes though ;).

4. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

It would be a pretty cool way to give a preview of new content though, just chuck it in the background and see how long it takes us to pick up on it and tear it to shreds for new info

5. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Well, I would love it if they re-introduced the old trading post model, liked it way more than the new one ;D

6. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

And the Mohawks are Iroquois too

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's the usual Iroquois civ, it's just that it's being used as a background, so the colors have been dulled to help the "advisor" message stand out.

8. Rob (R8XFT)

I got that (after a few minutes blissfully wondering if we were getting another civ). In any case, do you know when Kate is going to announce what the DLC contains? It's meant to be out next week, so it makes me wonder why 2k (I know it's not all down to Kate) are taking so long to announce what, exactly, the bison depot/Conquest of the New world deluxe DLC is.

9. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

It certainly does seem strange that we're able to know about DLC quite a long time before 2K actually says anything about it.

10. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

I'm tired of waiting for actual releases from 2K.

Mods are getting really boring too.

I'm getting to the point where I want an entire new engine... 900 hours logged since Civ 5's launch day will do that to you :(

11. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Warlord

I'm a bit tired of Civ 5 also, not that I've found much to fill the gap. I'd really like something to change it up a bit. I was really hoping for a SMAC remake.
    There's nothing to say a new engine will be any better than BNW or BtS.

It seems odd we've heard nothing from Firaxis and next to nothing from 2K. I don't think 2K really understands Firaxis' customers. I suppose they want to tie the conquest of the new world announcement into the complete edition announcement. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me as I doubt that many people who want Civ V don't already have it and said people aren't going to make a purchase decision based on one updated scenario.

I'm a bit concerned that after the positive words Dennis had for the public beta of the last patch that he hasn't logged into civfanatics since Nov 04. Why would they have a large public beta, claim to be happy with the results, then have the next patch be closed & secret? Perhaps the Bison patch is going to be small and not noteworthy? I hope not.

12. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

It will most likely be, there's nothing "much" to be done, theo nly thing that they need to adress are lack of Mod support for Multiplayer (incluidng hotseat).

13. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

What about the massive tall/wide imbalance, poor balance of the policy trees, and vast superiority of ranged units over melee?

They DESPERATELY need to fix quite a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

Get the "Advanced Settings" mod and you can do multiplayer modded hot seat

15. TheMarshmallowBear

The sole fact that you are suggesting a mod (that is rather flawed if I say, I mean, to certain extents) is already bad for the devs.

We should never rely on community to fix stuff.

Just saying.. not trying to be angry about it...

But yeah, I don't care for mods but for scenarios, I can never get into any hotseat games with traditional Civ 5 rules, scenarios, however, are VERY appealing.

16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm afraid she didn't tell me anything that she didn't say here.

We can deduce a few things about it. It will not contain any new civs. The Complete Edition includes this DLC and it features 43 civs, which is the current number. The Complete Edition details also explicitly describe it as a scenario not a pack or anything like that. So, if there are any new main game content items, they will be via patch, not DLC. Same with any feature improvements or UA changes or whatever.

17. TheMarshmallowBear

We also know that there is at least ONE DLC because it is listed... whatever it may be.

18. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

Once we know there aren't going to be any more expansions to break the code after the Complete Edition gets released we can start modding it to improve things we're not happy with. I plan on taking a crack at the social policy trees once I'm completely sure I won't have to deal with any more changes from Firaxis.

19. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Ranged units need to be stronger, otherwise you would find every conflict playing out like WWI -boring as heck.
    I also don't even think Tall has that big an edge over wide, most people just aren't good at specializing their cities optimally, and as a result tall generalist cities go further for them.

To be honest the game is pretty balanced right now, all things considered. It's a complex enough system that a minor poke here could send out a huge spike over there. It's like trying to make an attractive character in Dark Souls, at some point you just kind of need to stop tweaking while it still looks human.
    I'd be pretty happy if they just left it how it is now rather than risk some horrible monstrosity.

20. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

If they play the game as much as most of us do, then they know there are some balance issues. I agree that it is difficult to fix something small and not have it unbalance a different aspect of the game, considering how many different combinations of games you can get due to 40 different UAs and 80 different UUs/UBs and all the different maps. Any little tweaks to the combat AI help also, no matter how small. A little unpredictability can go a long way here.