1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SteamDB: "Bison" Depot??

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Scirocco16V, Nov 15, 2013.

1. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I've been speaking out about the new civ 5 bnw expansion deluxe conquest of the new world on multiplayer and so far, there have been players saying that was bad news and another upset. This sound similar to what used to be said about civilization 5 before it came out and revolution or colonization were already out.

2. anandus

anandus Errorist

According to Twitter "Firaxis is hiring big time".
    But on the site I can only find:
    That said, the same Twitter source also said Firaxis was hiring in august, so they could already have started.
    But of course they could also be working on XCOM2 ;)

3. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

No, I doubt we'll see Civ VI this early. Some things to note:

*Vanilla Civ V came out in the fall of 2010, while vanilla Civ IV came out in fall of 2005. Therefore, I think it's reasonable to assume vanilla Civ VI will come out in fall of 2015 (if Firaxis sticks with this pattern, of course.)

*The Civ V teaser/announcement trailer came out in February of 2010. We'll probably see a Civ VI teaser in the winter of 2014-2015.

*The first major Civ V previews came out around Pax East 2010 (April-May 2010). I think we can expect to see Civ VI previews around that time in 2015.

4. anandus

anandus Errorist

There's definitely a pattern there:
    Civ1 (1991) ->Civ2: 5 years (1996)
    Civ2 ->Civ3: 5 years (2001)
    Civ3 ->Civ4: 4 years (2005)
    Civ4 ->Civ5: 5 years (2010)

But this doesn't mean anything of course.

5. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

But Civ V's expansions also came out about a year after their counterparts in the other games. Assuming the main team was working on BNW (which I think is a safe assumption), that means that they're effectively starting on Civ VI a year later than they did with Civ V (with respect to the 5-year cycle).

That is to say, I don't expect Civ VI in 2015. I would love for it to happen (in some ways), but at the same time, do you really want another rushed vanilla product? Even though Civ V eventually got great, I still think its very-weak vanilla state hurt the ultimate quality of the game post-BNW.

6. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Pretty sure that Civ 3 and Civ 4 both had two expansion packs at about the average time of 1 year after the other's release.

7. Piobmhor

Piobmhor Chieftain

Either way, I just hope they won't water down the UI or the experience to appease the casual tablet and mobile market crowd. Or worse, consoles *shudder* Worries me a little after reading what Sid Meier had to say about it, stating he wishes they could reach across all gaming systems.

8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Given Firaxis' recent forays into mobile games and Sid's interest in them per recent interviews, it would not surprise me in the least if Civ VI will be supported on PC and mobile devices. Their excellent Ace Patrol games is supported on both.

9. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

My guess is 2016 so it can be the 25th anniversary. That's why I think there's room for one more round of DLC (I really want Vietnam as a Civ).

10. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Civ VI could become a console game like XCOM and Civ Rev.

11. Piobmhor

Piobmhor Chieftain

I have nothing against multi-platform support, my issues is when the PC version is negatively impacted by it. Suddenly important mechanics disappear or get dumbed down because many developers think casuals don't want to deal with them.

Worse, UIs become optimized for consoles and handhelds, making them clunky and ineffective on PCs. I understand that there is a good chance this won't happen with Civ 6, but I wouldn't call it impossible given the recent remarks of Meier.

12. AmericanDestiny

AmericanDestiny Chieftain

Sarcasm I hope?

It would be the death of the Civ franchise if CIV VI is the next Civilization Revolution.

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I love Ace Patrol. It's not Civ caliber, but it's my favorite mobile games.

14. Wodan

Wodan Deity

The future is in the tablet market, not the console market. Or, if anything, a cross-platform (cloud-based) game.

15. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

I could see potential in a cross-platform Civ 6. It wouldn't really need to be watered-down, even. Just make it so that the strategic view is the default for Tablets. Most tablets could probably run Civ 5, and potentially Civ 6, in strategic view.

16. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

We've had two on this, so it's time for the next iteration...

17. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

Civ 5 has a "touch" mode which is just a slightly changed UI and slightly worse graphics to make tablets play the game game... it's already feasible to do "cross platform" with a Windows Tablet if I'm not mistaken.

18. Sporally

Sporally Prince

Would just be happy for see it for Android. After all that is a much bigger market than Windows tablets ;-)

Sendt fra min GT-I9305 med Tapatalk

19. Iklabain

Iklabain Warlord

Let's just hope they make a solid pc version before moving on to touch screen.

20. Piobmhor

Piobmhor Chieftain

Absolutely agreed, and that was my original point. I don't care how many platforms they support, as long as it doesn't affect the PC iteration of Civ. Way too many classic PC franchises have been streamlined and casualized into oblivion to attract the console and casual crowd.