Stop aging at the cost of having no children - would you do it?

I feel it's really interesting and surprising how many of you don't want children.

It's scary for anyone. I suspect that CFC might have a higher proportion of people who're stymied by the idea that it's moral to bring a human into the world.

Which honestly I feel is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, lol.

(Unless you know you'd be a horrible parent, then I agree you're absolutely right)

It's a natural selection process. People who're cognitively stymied by the idea of having kids are induced into having sex due to sexual urges, and then Mother Nature forced us to breed anyway. But now, in the age of contraception, it's the people who're not morally stymied who'll pass on their ability.

The Mote in God's Eye predicted this outcome. The future will be only populated by genes that cannot stand the idea of not having kids.

Toxic topic (no offense to OP, just in general)..

a) such a "cure" will never happen, at least not in our lifetime
b) aging with pride = much better for mental health
c) we all were kids once, would you wish your parents had this option?
d) no desire to have kids = fine, disliking them in general seems intolerant cos see point c)
e) you could always end your life if growing bored? Well "good luck" with that, most will never manage the final step.

I feel it's really interesting and surprising how many of you don't want children.
As Lexicus and El Mac said, lots of people are morally uneasy with the idea of creating people. I'm definitely one of them.

On top of that, there are lots of existing kids who need adoptive families, and the world population is already consuming more than the world's ecosystems can handle. More personally, I don't think I would make a good father, I'm single and couldn't raise kids on my own, and raising kids would permanently derail any other plans and goals I had. So there are lots of great reasons for me to never have kids of my own, and no good ones to have kids.

While I wouldn't trade my daughter for anything, getting old really sucks. IT's not for the weak of heart.

Which honestly I feel is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, lol.

(Unless you know you'd be a horrible parent, then I agree you're absolutely right)

As you know, I have reservations about procreating in general.

But on top of that I am all but certain that the future is going to be worse than the present in substantial ways. Material standards of living will decrease for most people and fascism will arrive as the climate crisis deepens; there will be no way to manage it without regimentation and regulation of people's conduct (in particular, rationing our resource consumption), and we are already seeing the way Western countries prefer to deal with the refugees and migrants created by climate change and their own imperial violence. How good I might be as a parent simply does not enter into consideration here. I think it is tantamount to a crime to bring someone into existence to suffer through what I believe will happen.

But on top of that I am all but certain that the future is going to be worse than the present in substantial ways. Material standards of living will decrease for most people and fascism will arrive as the climate crisis deepens; there will be no way to manage it without regimentation and regulation of people's conduct (in particular, rationing our resource consumption), and we are already seeing the way Western countries prefer to deal with the refugees and migrants created by climate change and their own imperial violence. How good I might be as a parent simply does not enter into consideration here. I think it is tantamount to a crime to bring someone into existence to suffer through what I believe will happen.

I just hope I'm not around when western nations start collapsing under the strain of caring for retired millennials who didn't have enough children.

I kind of agree. Or at least, I see this perspective from where I'm standing. One of my colleagues has 2 young kids, and I've wondered what world she envisions awaiting them in 50 years.

I just hope I'm not around when western nations start collapsing under the strain of caring for retired millennials who didn't have enough children.
Don't worry. I'm sure the coalition of neoliberal capitalists and woke leftists will import any number of people that is needed from where ever people are to be found.

Is it right to bring someone into existence, with all the guarantees of death and suffering that involves, just to use them for labor? I think if you absolutely must have kids, it should be because you can provide them with a good life, not because you want to use them like that.

Anyway, in a few decades' time, it's likely there will be no jobs left due to full automation and true AI, for better or for worse.

I just hope I'm not around when a critical mass of people start thinking this way and the result is turning women into unwilling breeding factories (again).

It's scary for anyone. I suspect that CFC might have a higher proportion of people who're stymied by the idea that it's moral to bring a human into the world.
Why do you think it's higher here? There seems to be a higher proportion of liberal-minded people here than one would expect in the general population, but again, why would that be?

The fertility rate was already below 2 in the USA before 1980. But it's always more fun to blame millennials.

It's a forum full of gaming nerds high on the autistic spectrum. I'm not surprised.

Plus moral considerations which I totally understand (although the world is ****** regardless at this point so the intelligent may as well breed if they want to).

Last edited by a moderator:
Environmental catastrophe due to too many humans is about 1,000,000,000,000x as much of a big deal as not enuf people for the workforce.

Why do you think it's higher here? There seems to be a higher proportion of liberal-minded people here than one would expect in the general population, but again, why would that be?

CFC draws a higher proportion of people trapped in their own heads than found in the general population.

i flame everyone who disagrees with me on the topic until they rage quit the Forum in disgust. It's a selection effect, that's it

Is it right to bring someone into existence, with all the guarantees of death and suffering that involves, just to use them for labor? I think if you absolutely must have kids, it should be because you can provide them with a good life, not because you want to use them like that.

Anyway, in a few decades' time, it's likely there will be no jobs left due to full automation and true AI, for better or for worse.

Unless we bring in involuntary euthanasia for the over-70s somebody will have to look after you when you get old. I look after my 80 year old mother and I don't see that as labour, I see it as part of being a family.
They were predicting household robots were imminent in the 50s, still not anywhere near here yet.

i flame everyone who disagrees with me on the topic until they rage quit the Forum in disgust. It's a selection effect, that's it

You might have posted that from the wrong account.

Then again...

Top Bottom