Suggestions and requests

No no, I can tell the two apart ;) Real multi-threading, like in Civ 5, no clumsy view ports. And works like a charm from what I have experienced.
Sorry, it's just that I've heard too many rumors about what C2C can do to just believe the good news.

But that's awesome! We can get a huge benefit out of that. I hope they've documented their code well, but if I have to pester the responsible modder I will do that too.
Okay to make things a bit easier for me because C2C is huge and unwieldy, where have you seen that feature announced and what do I have to download to see it?

That sounds impressive (and ambitious), but it also seems as if it has never been actually implemented.

It also supports my assumption that it is impossible to include multi-threading into the DLL without creating an entirely new EXE.

Can I just say it's really good? I used to think DoC was good but it is actually really good. I can't believe I am still playing this game. Replacing my disks was probably the best 40 dollars I have spent (though since I don't live in the USA, I haven't spent many dollars).

BTW, I can confirm C2C really has multithreading. I checked task manager while i was playing, and two cores were working.

That sounds impressive (and ambitious), but it also seems as if it has never been actually implemented.
It is part of the game since a whole while actually. I can not help you more than to say that it is activated in the BUG screen, on the first page I believe.
But yep I was totally blown away by this feature. Finally it allowed me to play those Giant Earth Maps way into the future era, with no CTD, and with all ram-suffocating weight of C2C. Exactly what I wanted since forever.
Until they managed to screw it all up in the very next (and current) version that is... Just added too much graphics or something like that.
BTW, I can confirm C2C really has multithreading. I checked task manager while i was playing, and two cores were working.
Hm yeah I remember reading about a bit support for more than one core. But what I actually meant was the feature where certain graphics are only loaded into the ram the moment you move over them on the map. For instance unit graphics.
Sorry, did I just confuse everyone? I am sure they called this multi-threading...

Can I just say it's really good? I used to think DoC was good but it is actually really good. I can't believe I am still playing this game. Replacing my disks was probably the best 40 dollars I have spent (though since I don't live in the USA, I haven't spent many dollars).
Haha, it's really nice to hear someone say that after so many of the old guard have stopped playing :)

It is part of the game since a whole while actually. I can not help you more than to say that it is activated in the BUG screen, on the first page I believe.
But yep I was totally blown away by this feature. Finally it allowed me to play those Giant Earth Maps way into the future era, with no CTD, and with all ram-suffocating weight of C2C. Exactly what I wanted since forever.
Until they managed to screw it all up in the very next (and current) version that is... Just added too much graphics or something like that.
That is amazing. I hope they have the source code for that and the compiler magic stays on a level that is manageable for me. But I'm definitely going to check it out this weekend.

Finally able to add all these graphics :mischief: (jk, I doubt I can outdo C2C in that regard.)

Hm yeah I remember reading about a bit support for more than one core. But what I actually meant was the feature where certain graphics are only loaded into the ram the moment you move over them on the map. For instance unit graphics.
Sorry, did I just confuse everyone? I am sure they called this multi-threading...
Multi-threading is making use of multiple cores (or multiple processors within one core), which Civ4 cannot do. Since most modern CPUs gain performance by adding multiple cores, Civ4 performs so poorly despite all the tech advances since it came out.

Not sure what you would call the feature you mentioned (also not sure how to imagine it looking ... I mean you need the graphics to display units even before you mouse over them?).

From what I've read in the thread Manuss' linked they were planning to do a lot of things that you are normally restricted from within the DLL, multi-threading just one of them. Using 64 bit architecture to use more than 4GB RAM is another one.

Downloading C2C right now. Apparently this feature is called "paging". Let's see what else they have in there.

I would suggest the tech research rate deserve some tweaking. The AI is researching like mad. I believe it should be bit slower than now. Maybe increase the price of the technology a bit more for number of cities (i'm not sure if this mechanism is still there, but it was in original RFC - more cities / bigger tech price / slower research rate).

Penalties are done through population these days.

My questions would be:
- Who are you playing as?
- How much are you tech trading?
- Which civilizations are the worst offenders?

I have been noticing some techs being researched fairly early by certain civilizations, but in general they are beelines. I don't know exactly what the AI is trying to do here (trade? But they won't trade the tech afterwards...), but I am not noticing any horrible issues in my games (M/N).

Well just try to play 1700 game, let's say as an Americans, it's imho obvious. UK, France, Russia, their tech research rate is crazy.

Is it mostly a problem of the 1700 AD scenario?

Edit: Russia seems to be too powerful in general nowadays.

I don't think it's just in the 1700 scenario, but i believe there it's visible the most. I also believe few people (or at least one) already complained about the same thing recently.

Btw are you guys actually playing it, or just coding it? :))

Haha, just coding here.

I've noticed these complaints too, but without more specific information (are only specific civs affected, are certain scenarios affected more), I cannot address the problem at the right place.

Is it mostly a problem of the 1700 AD scenario?
I have a feeling that it is, though it could also be a difference in expectations. If I run a 600 AD America start I expect there to be a civilization or two that has a score at about 1500, England ahead of me by 3 or 4 techs.

I think a big part of the problem is that infantry come too early, in fact most all of the industrial era units do. Pushing these units back and having more national wonders/projects/building could help. Maybe something having to do with imperialism that is spaceship-like (multiple parts so gives all cities something to do)?

Edit: Russia seems to be too powerful in general nowadays.
I think more units, less buildings would be appropriate, although it seems like whenever an adjustment is made to them they either get really powerful or sit in the dumps. In my case, I often see them behind, except for an occasional game when they are about average. Note that I play almost exclusively 600 AD scenario.

It feels like they would be a lot more predictable if they were to spawn post-Mongol. This is why to me, a Russia split (pre-Mongol Kiev, post-Mongol Moscow) has always been the best case for a new civilization, but I doubt you are too in to doing that.

While on the subject of the Mongols, I think their old UP (Keshiks upon city conquest) was much better for the AI than the current one. Maybe this could be an AI-only effect or something that could be added to their current UP. Might also be that the stacks are not big enough, but much bigger would be awful for the human defender.

I think I left their old UP in as an AI only effect, let me check.

Please enable levee to be built in non-riverside city. It should just require a river tile in city's BFC. Although it doesn't matter much after industrial era, but why not?

Please enable levee to be built in non-riverside city. It should just require a river tile in city's BFC. Although it doesn't matter much after industrial era, but why not?
Because coding that is more than changing an XML flag.

The new recent change that razing Barbarian towns has no penalty and razing independent towns for half penalty does not make sense to me. Independent towns are usually placed in much better locations, so why be able to raze them so easily? As for barbarians, the only time they have a town is either the same reasons as independents, or they take it from someone. What if a barbarian took an AI town? It would allow the human player to run in, burn it to the ground before they get it back, and all for no penalty.

Top Bottom