1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You played right into my hands.

2. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Shouldn't Egyptian units have Arabic graphics from medieval era onwards? Maybe you could use Turkish graphics for the knights.

3. Publicola

Publicola Chieftain

Shouldn't we get a new "Suggestions and Requests" thread with the release of 1.13?

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You mean in VD? That's the problem you get with how civs work right now, and especially the hybrid nature of the Egyptian civ. Will be better to address this when civs and slots are divorced.

Is that a suggestion? If so, please submit it to the suggestion thread for 1.14 ;)

But seriously, I don't think there's a reason for new threads. I only did it for the general thread to emphasize that I want to end the separate swim lanes for the two versions.

5. Bernd-das-Brot

Bernd-das-Brot Chieftain

France often seems relatively weak, compared to its historical performance. They get crushed by the HRE or mostly by Spain. I only see a strong continental France when they conquer Rome very early, which happens rarely.

I have never seen them build a real colonial empire. New Orleans, one city in the caribbean and perhaps in Brazil and even that only if they survive that long.

Possible solutions to strenghten France:
    - spawn Rennes/Orleans or add another settler (at least for the AI),
    - add some Knights to the starting force (Spain and the HRE both have 2 or 3),
    - add more locations to the trading company and/or give the AI some free settlers, when discovering astronomy.

6. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

OTOH, France-Rome is amazing.

7. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

These screenshots show my idea for culture spread to vary by civ + region + time. The most simple concept is that non-tropical civs cannot colonise tropical Africa until discovering Biology. So your cities can now act as commercial and ship-repair ports, points of sea control and bases for fortification of the surrounding area, but not really centres of production. Now I'm no programmer so I don't know how to generalise it efficiently, but at least it can work.

Attached Files:

8. Shadow Warlord

Shadow Warlord Chieftain

Well, those cities in general aren't all that productive to begin with when you first settle them, so i don't know if i understand what you're getting at...

9. Shadow Warlord

Shadow Warlord Chieftain

French colonizing definitely needs a boost. They're good at settling parts of the Americas and they can get Hanoi through their trading company event, but when it comes to Africa or any other area, they're quite poor.

10. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

I have never seen North Africa colonised.

11. Bernd-das-Brot

Bernd-das-Brot Chieftain

Perhaps another "trading company" (buildable with biology or railroad) to represent the scramble for Africa would be a good idea.

And something similar for Japan (SE-Asia) in early modern times.

Could somebody please tell me where in the game files I can see, what the civs get for building their trading companies/discovering the needed techs? The civipedia does not seem to be correct in this regard.

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

It's a bunch of Python code in RiseAndFalls.py and various helper modules. It's a mess to be honest.

13. Big Heb

Big Heb Chieftain

I do agree there needs to be more Scramble for Africa in the 19th century. Despite them being in historical areas, I rarely if ever see France conquering Algeria and England conquering Egypt, or one or the other stealing/conquering Portugese and Dutch possessions in Africa and Asia as historically occurred in the 19th century. This also tends to make the Dutch become far more technologically advanced than would be considered realistic.

Also, how come Sierra Leone, Ghana, and Nigeria aren't historical for Britain? Free Town, Accra and Lagos are on the English settler map, yet it's considered foreign territory. I would argue if Liberia is American historical territory, then those areas should be British historical.

14. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

If you look at the screenshots, you will see.

15. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The results are intriguing ... what modifiers did you use?

16. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

To be frank there would be almost no point to colonization with these changes as is.

17. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Vanila BTS has completely inconsequential "Declare war on contact" option: when you meet a new civ you as a leader have an option to declare on them without even knowing much about this new civ, or say -- it there be peace in our time, which lets you to check the situation and declare on them the same turn, if you need that. I propose to make things sensible and make this choice important and historically realistic. If you chose peace in our time -- no war can be declared for the next 10 turns. If you chose war from the get go -- you get some sneak attack bonus , like a clone of the unit that made contact in your capital, or few extra troops, or something cool. There were hostile initial contacts and peaceful initial contacts as the story of Thanksgiving shows us :). Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans, by the way!

18. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

You know what would be nice? If the Seljuks didn't appear literally out of thin air in the middle of the Caliphate. Now I can accept that you have to spawn a ginormous amount of units for them so they are actually a threat to a human Arabia, but is it too much to ask that they all spawn in one point in Persia and from there have to march on foot westwards? The current way of things is just immersion breaking.

Also adopt all the changes I made in my modmod. All of them.

Ceterum censeo Central Planning buffam esse.

19. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

To expand on my Seljuks suggestion, I'd like to repeat my desire that Civ5's barbarian camp system be implemented. Instead of spawning Medjeys/Mohwaks/Seljuks/whatever name this or that rebel scum may go by directly just spawn barbarian forts guarded by era appropriate defensive units instead, and make it so that a new appropriate unit (Impis in Africa, Dog Soldiers in America, Seljuks in the Middle East etc.) spawns in it every turn or every few turns depending on the exact situation.

I must stress that barbarians appearing out of nowhere in the heart of your empire is just immersion breaking, especially if your stability is solid.

20. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I agree, let's just agree that this is best solved together with a civil war mechanic? Which in turn has a dependency on my player slots to civilizations refactoring. For which I'm currently preparing some utility changes. So you could say I'm basically already working on it :D