Suggestions and Requests

No it is, and it will happen at some point. Religion is on my to do list for 1.14.

Judaism was not present only in Israeli states.
This could be a very dumb suggestion, but maybe Khazaria could make Judaism a viable major religion. Implementing ancient Israel and then changing its core to Khazaria/respawning directly as Khazaria in case Israel has already collapsed as the Arabs spawn (fits perfectly in the timeline) like Phoenicia and Carthage, just keeping Israel as independents, but make Jerusalem the jewish holy city, or give them Seljuk-like treatment. Khazaria could also solve some problems regarding Central Asia, perhaps?

Judaism was not present only in Israeli states.
This could be a very dumb suggestion, but maybe Khazaria could make Judaism a viable major religion. Implementing ancient Israel and then changing its core to Khazaria/respawning directly as Khazaria in case Israel has already collapsed as the Arabs spawn (fits perfectly in the timeline) like Phoenicia and Carthage, just keeping Israel as independents, but make Jerusalem the jewish holy city, or give them Seljuk-like treatment. Khazaria could also solve some problems regarding Central Asia, perhaps?

Ok, so that puts Judaism on the map till the 900s (1000s if you go by the Cambridge document). What will you do afterwards? Also, how do we prevent a Jewish Poland from being a natural option for the NPC?

Poland would be very unlikely to convert to Judaism anyway, and so would Russia. Having Judaism spread to those regions would make a lot of sense historically, though. Judaism has been present in eastern Europe from 900 onwards, after all.

If Judaism is readded as a religion, it could add some extra historicity if it's removed from western European civs (especially Spain) when the plague hits them in the Middle Ages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death_Jewish_persecutions

Could be a random event that triggers during the plague:
The common folk, tragically affected by the plague that is ravaging our lands, accuse the Jewish inhabitants of our cities of spreading the disease. What shall you do?
-Persecute the Jews: -1 population, Judaism removed from the city, -2 relations hit with Judaist civs, +1 :) for 10 turns
-Don't persecute: city revolts for 1 turn

Judaism could be widespread in the West and Middle East, just make it so no AI civ, barring a possible Jewish one in the future, converts to it.

I have seen how certain religions auto spread when a city is founded in their historical territory. For example, found cities in the Americas and two turns later they convert to Catholicism or Protestantism.

That way, I thought of a map for Judaism to spread, regardless of there being an existent religion:
-United States and especially the area around New York.
-The Netherlands, Central, Southeastern and especially Eastern Europe.
-The Black Sea.
-Southastern Mediterranean (the Levant, Syria and the Nile Delta).
-Morocco and Southern Spain.
-Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Argentina.
-Monterrey and Mexico City.
-Parts of Ethiopia.

And if they are persecuted somewhere, they flee to another place outside the civ that persecuted them, adding their religion and some extra population.

If Judaism is only allowed to spread to cities which already host a religion, this should stop too many Civs adopting it

How about the old civilization mechanic that the maximum science/gold% etc is set by civics?

The current mechanic is that if a religion spreads to a city with a pagan temple, and that religion is the state religion as well, the pagan temple gets replaced with that religion temple, right?
A minor request to expand on this, if the city is currently building a pagan temple or has accumulated production towards it, perhaps that amount of production, or completion progress %, could be transferred to the relevant temple as well, so that such an event is not so penalizing?

I feel like certain civs should have more technologies when spawning. For example, America should start with Democracy, while for some reason Mexico doesn't start with Nationalism and Democracy.

For example, America should start with Democracy

Once upon a time it did, but Leoreth thought it a good idea to change that in order to fulfill his 30% wrong quota.

I have seen how certain religions auto spread when a city is founded in their historical territory. For example, found cities in the Americas and two turns later they convert to Catholicism or Protestantism.

That way, I thought of a map for Judaism to spread, regardless of there being an existent religion:
-United States and especially the area around New York.
-The Netherlands, Central, Southeastern and especially Eastern Europe.
-The Black Sea.
-Southastern Mediterranean (the Levant, Syria and the Nile Delta).
-Morocco and Southern Spain.
-Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Argentina.
-Monterrey and Mexico City.
-Parts of Ethiopia.

And if they are persecuted somewhere, they flee to another place outside the civ that persecuted them, adding their religion and some extra population.

Judaism is actually very minor in Brazil. I've seen more muslims and even buddhists than jews in São Paulo through my life.
It should certainly also spread to parts of Siberia, by the way.

Yes, I forgot Siberia.

But last time I checked, Brazil had one of the two largest Jewish populations in Latin America, the other one being Argentina.

If Greenland can be settled, it should be believable, that is the benefit should be limited and diminishing later in the game. Making that work requires more work than just changing one terrain tile, that's all I'm saying. I'm not unwilling to expend that work but it's not a one off spur of the moment change so it'll have to wait for a bit.

Have you put anymore thought into my suggestion, by any chance?

england tech speed is so fast

even canada is independanted

america germany japan can't follow them.

next version please change this

The current mechanic is that if a religion spreads to a city with a pagan temple, and that religion is the state religion as well, the pagan temple gets replaced with that religion temple, right?
A minor request to expand on this, if the city is currently building a pagan temple or has accumulated production towards it, perhaps that amount of production, or completion progress %, could be transferred to the relevant temple as well, so that such an event is not so penalizing?
That should be possible.

Have you put anymore thought into my suggestion, by any chance?
No, I need some time to actually try it out. Currently I'm doing other things.

I submitted this proposal for the Rhye's and Fall of Europe mod, but I though it'd be equally well suited here.

I've been researching the period of the Crusades, and came across several references to Byzantine silk that I didn't understand. On looking it up, I discovered that around the year 550 AD, itinerant monks discovered in China how silk was produced, and later smuggled silkworm eggs or larvae out of Central Asia to be brought to be brought to Constantinople. The resulting silk production was in fact a critical part of the Byzantine economy from that time until the fall of Constantinople almost 1000 years later.

The Byzantine monopoly was ended during the Second Crusade around 1150 AD, when silk weavers were captured and brought to Sicily, spreading silk production and trade further into Western Europe. The same occurred during the Fourth Crusade (around 1200 AD) when Constantinople was sacked and the silk factories were brought to Venice and other cities in Italy.

All that is context for my suggested proposal:

1) Around the year 550 AD (or as close to 554 AD as the turn clock will allow), there should be a silk resource that appears either on the Constantinople tile or one of the tiles west of it (in Thrace).
2) Alternately, since silk was smuggled out of China and Central Asia, you could make this a quest that the Byzantine player always gets once contact is established with a silk-producing civ. Its effect would be like the 'Master Blacksmith' quest, but instead of a copper resource being auto-placed beneath the key city, it would be a silk resource. I don't know what the quest requirements would look like, though.
3) To reflect the spread of silk production to Italy, there should be another silk resource that appears in Sicily or southern Italy around 1147 AD. As above, this could be auto-placed, or it could be the result of a different quest, related to conquering a city in the Byzantine/former Greek core.

Either way, given the importance of silk in the Byzantine economy, it makes more historical sense for there to be silk production in Europe rather than requiring that any silk be brought by trade from central or eastern Asia.

You know, civ specific quests really sound like a good idea, and this could be one of them.

Top Bottom