Suggestions and Requests

I have plans right now that go as far as 1.18, and am currently actively working on 1.15. Traditionally, whatever is in the Git develop branch is the current status of what will become the next version, so if you want to use Git you can give it a look. There are instructions in the welcome thread.

For 1.15 I have created (largely adapted from History Rewritten, but now heavily modified) a completely new tech tree, including new units, buildings and civics. It's likely the biggest change to DoC to date. You can see the latest state of that in the hrtechs branch on Git, or read about it in the associated feedback thread.

If you don't mind, there are a few minor things that have always been bugging me and I would like to see included:

Settling a city on forest should give hammers to that city as if it was chopped by workers. (from Civ5 mod Vox Populi)

Pillaging an improvement should restore some of the health of the pillaging unit if it is damaged. (from Civ5)

Naval units should move at half speed in enemy waters. Ideally there should be a minefield improvement or building that provides this effect. (mashup of features from Civ5 mod Vox Populi and Civ4Reimagined)

Naval units should see further depending on how many movement points they have left, and lose sight with every move they use, so that a ship that used up all movement points for the turn has no sight at all. (expansion on a feature from Civ4Reimagined)

There is a number of BUG/BUFFY/BULL features that seem to be oddly missing even though I'm relatively sure they were there in previous versions. I'm talking about stuff like Alt+M reminders or advanced graphs. Maybe unrelated to this, the Settings tab in the F8 screen has been missing for years now and I would like it back. (original thought)

Edit: It would also be nice if the symbols for Catholicism and Protestantism would be more distinct, currently trying to tell a Catholic from a Protestant civ is an exercise in frustration for colorblind people.

Edit #2: How about movies for winning via religion or UHV? Would be a lot of work to get one for every single one, but at least for the major religions and civs stuff should be easy to find. Something like this for Russia for example:

Or this for America:

I'm sure there's enough histocial movies to compile a few clips for Rome. Gladiator comes to mind. And on and on. Would there be interest in this?

Last edited:
Naval units should move at half speed in enemy waters. Ideally there should be a minefield improvement or building that provides this effect. (mashup of features from Civ5 mod Vox Populi and Civ4Reimagined)
A couple of changes to warfare mechanics are in the pipeline, including this.

There is a number of BUG/BUFFY/BULL features that seem to be oddly missing even though I'm relatively sure they were there in previous versions. I'm talking about stuff like Alt+M reminders or advanced graphs. Maybe unrelated to this, the Settings tab in the F8 screen has been missing for years now and I would like it back. (original thought)
Do you have an exhaustive list of missing elements?

Edit: It would also be nice if the symbols for Catholicism and Protestantism would be more distinct, currently trying to tell a Catholic from a Protestant civ is an exercise in frustration for colorblind people.
New Catholic and Orthodox icons are in the pipeline. I'm already doing religions right now, so this might happen soon.

Edit #2: How about movies for winning via religion or UHV? Would be a lot of work to get one for every single one, but at least for the major religions and civs stuff should be easy to find. [...] Would there be interest in this?
Sounds like a copyright nightmare, I'm also worried about mod size. But if you'd like to throw together a module, sure.

1.15 looks really nice

is there new civilization too ?
No, I'm still holding off on adding new civs until the Rise and Fall engine can support more. Not that I don't already have plans in the drawer.

No, I'm still holding off on adding new civs until the Rise and Fall engine can support more. Not that I don't already have plans in the drawer.

I hope that includes long overdue Central Asian civilization? Speaking of which I have a radical idea: represent Turkic Khaganate (7th century), Seljuks ( 11t h century) and Timurids ( 15th century) with one single Central Asian civ, with UHVs reflecting those 3 periods. Just like with Mongols -- AI Seljuks will be heavily scripted while human player Central Asia Civ Seljuks will get no extra help and have to carry on with conquests themselves. Basically human player will have to answer very interesting historical question: how did Altaic Turkic element end up in Anatolia.

I thought it was common knowledge that a Turkic civ is first on this list :D I'm not sure how to fold the historical Turkic empires into civilisations but yeah, that's an option.

I thought it was common knowledge that a Turkic civ is first on this list :D I'm not sure how to fold the historical Turkic empires into civilisations but yeah, that's an option.

I suggest the following UHVs for not so distant future:

1. Khaganate: Own 5 Horse resources (would need to expand far but not with many cities) by XX
2. Sultanate: Build Grand Mosques in Samarkand, Baghdad and Jerusalem (3 pre-placed cities) by XX
3. Empire: Raze 4 capitals by XX

Could this patch have the same number of barbs spawn near the human civ but slightly fewer near AI civs? The AI doesn't seem able to handle the current high level of barb pressure. Greece and Persia especially but also India and sometimes Rome. NA colonizers can't either which is probably good for the most part but unfortunately neither can America

Bigger Indie stacks in Italian cities. They go way too quick to France/Spain/Austria, especially Rome.

Also, maybe some sugar appears in the American Midwest in the mid 20th Century?

Could this patch have the same number of barbs spawn near the human civ but slightly fewer near AI civs? The AI doesn't seem able to handle the current high level of barb pressure. Greece and Persia especially but also India and sometimes Rome. NA colonizers can't either which is probably good for the most part but unfortunately neither can America

Why not just increase the AI's vs Barbs combat bonus?

Also, a corn resource (=potatoes) in Brandenburg-Prussia (Berlin square) in 1700?!

Too many Barbarians against Persia. I suggest eliminate Barbarian Parthian Horsemen and Immortals. Clearly Persian civ suppose to represent Parthians as well as Achaemenids and Sassanids. If Parthian Barbarians cannot "help" Persia civ, they at least should not harass her so much! Only if Ai or Human Greece manage to collapse Persia should those Barbarian Immortals and Parthians appear. Because who are those Barb Immortals who harass Persia? Great Satraps' Revolt?

Last edited:
It's great that the right religions actually spread to the New World now, but they shouldn't do so either 1) to cities held by fanatics of other religions or especially 2) to tiles no Christian civ has even discovered yet! This happens all the time now; Catholic or Orthodox will spread to Mayan lands as soon as Spain discovers Optics but way before they make contact

I think that it'd be better if the religions that spread to the new world changed based on what civilizations got the Conquerors event. My understanding of the way it works is that religions spread based on a map of religion compatibility. It seems like this map is subject to change based on things like the era and the controlling civilization, so why not based on which civilization triggered the event?

For example, it could be set to where civilizations from the East Asia group-- Korea, Japan, China, Siam, Khmer-- triggering the event to the Inca made America eligible for Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism.

It could also be done by grouping religions, like: if a civilization with Catholicism as its state religion discovers Aztecs, then America can have the Christianities.

It should just be the state religion of whatever Old World civ owns the New World city, or maybe any religion with high spread likelihood in that civ's capital so long as that religion is actually present in their capital. Wouldn't make a lot of sense for Spanish Buenos Aires to be Buddhist just because Japan found Inca first

That's fair, for my idea to work there would need to be better mechanics in place for colonialism in general, like dynamic stability maps.

Point taken, and the suggested solution should work well here. I'll do a couple of revisions on the religion system soon.

Top Bottom