Superheroes!

Age of Ultron deleted scene.

Slow day at the office.

The rights to Jessica Jones and Frank Castle have officially reverted to Marvel-Disney. I'm less excited about that than I was for Daredevil, because I don't see how either character fits into the MCU right now, or in the foreseeable future. I would like to see Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones some more, but I don't think that character has a lot more that needs to be done. I really don't want Jessica recast, just for the sake of bringing her into the MCU. Similarly, I don't want to see The Punisher at all anymore, unless it's Jon Bernthal and it's a really compelling story, both thematically and in quality. I also do not want either character softened or 'MCU-ified.' I'm a little bit worried about that happening to Daredevil and Wilson Fisk, but I think it'll be okay if that's what happens to those characters. I felt like the Netflix version of The Punisher and Jessica Jones were really definitive, though, and I think both characters would be severely compromised by giving them anything less than 80-proof, "rated-R" material. I think I read somewhere that Disney is committed to keeping Deadpool as violent and foul-mouthed as ever, so if they did bring Jessica and Frank back, maybe there's reason to hope they'd still be for adults.

This is kinda cute. Director Andy Muschietti recorded the call where he told Sasha Calle that she got the part of Supergirl in The Flash (the movie, not the tv show).

A good analysis of why Captain Marvel (2019) doesn't work as well as I wanted it to. It uses Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) for contrast, because they have so many story beats in common. (The portion of this video showing the two films literally side-by-side is kind of interesting to watch, all by itself.) It shows one reason why flashbacks are such a risky story-telling device, why "show, don't tell" is a story-telling axiom, and how the order in which you tell your story matters. The reviewer proposes fixing the movie's central problem simply by reordering the existing scenes into their chronological sequence. You wouldn't need re-shoots or the insertion of deleted scenes, as you so often get in a "director's cut" which is almost inevitably longer than the theatrical release. His proposal to "fix" the movie makes it sound simpler, but that's not always a bad thing. Goes to show that, as with flashbacks, doing something clever - telling the story out of sequence - isn't necessarily better and can actually undermine the story and/or character.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Captain Marvel also illustrates the pitfall of another storytelling trope, the main character with amnesia. I'd be interested to see a comparison of Captain Marvel with The Bourne Identity, where I feel like we got to know Jason Bourne much better than Carol Danvers, while still having plenty of compelling action and a plot-heavy story. This video uses another superhero movie, Robocop (1987), as an example of an amnesiac main character who is introduced to the audience before the event that causes his amnesia, so we kind of know him even when he doesn't know himself.

This commentary also revealed something to me about why I didn't like the film. When I saw it, I felt the main character was just really flat and dull, and I chalked it up to Brie Larson's performance. I just thought she was wooden. I think this was the first thing I'd ever seen her in, and I wondered what all the fuss was about, she didn't seem all that great to me. But this reviewer puts the onus on the writing and the editing (and thus, the director). I always have a hard time separating the writing from the performance. I guess it's ironic that the directors of Captain Marvel were supposed to bring their experience in character-driven stories to an action- and plot-driven franchise (my other critique of this movie is that the action scenes were dull) but stumbled in the crucial task of building the central character.

p.s. If you feel like cutting Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck some slack, we have no idea what role the studio or Kevin Feige played in the production of Captain Marvel. Sometimes a movie's producers stick their noses where they don't belong, with disastrous results. Marvel-Disney doesn't have a reputation for that, but otoh, we know that Edgar Wright left Ant-Man right before production was supposed to start, and Ava Duvernay politely declined the offer of a Marvel movie after meeting with the studio execs, and in both cases it was because of what Marvel wanted from the story - "creative differences" (and in Duvernay's case, we know it wasn't because of Disney, because she did A Wrinkle in Time, and it wasn't because it was a superhero movie, because she's doing The New Gods for Warner Bros).
Replying to this here because it was a good post and I didn't want it to get lost. I enjoyed both movies, but I think Captain America was easily better, hands down. First, I think Chris Evans is just a better actor than Brie Larson. He is also perfectly cast as Captain America (CA) whereas Larson wasn't as great a fit for Captain Marvel (CM). She does not seem to enjoy playing CM as much as Evans seemed to enjoy playing CA.

Another failing that the CM movie had, vis a vis CA, was that as I recall, the former spent a lot of time, from the very beginning, focusing on her skills, abilities and ultimately, powers... ie what she could do. CA on the other hand spent alot of the beginning focusing on his moral character, ie his courage, bravery, determination, selflessness and overall worthiness. And they keep doing it throughout the movie (and in subsequent films). They keep stressing to you the kind of person he is... and pretty explicitly make it clear that he was always Captain America in his heart. Establishing that and stressing that throughout the movie makes his sacrifice at the end so easily believable... Of course he would do that... he's always been that type of person.

As an aside, a couple of the great payoffs we get for them constantly establishing the worthiness of his moral character, is when he catches Thanos gauntlet punch with his bare hands and is actually able to hold Thanos off for a few seconds, to Thanos' shocked disbelief. It was believable that Cap could perform such a feat, based on sheer willpower and righteous worthiness (I've heard the theory about him almost touching the infinity stone, but I don't buy it). Of course we also see he moves Mjolnir slightly and then in the end when he actually wields it. When Thor screams "I knew it!" it comes across as so relatable, because we were all feeling the same way. Especially for folks like me who did not already know about/remember him wielding it in the comics. We still knew he could do it because we knew he was worthy. Now I will readily concede that CA got alot more screentime across multiple movies to establish all that, but still, it was there. He was always Captain America.

Now with CM on the other hand... Vers doesn't really become Captain Marvel until she first goes back to being Carol Danvers, and then in the end where she discovers the true nature/extent of her powers. And this is put on full display in the final confrontation with Mar-Vel Yon-Rogg. He is challenging Vers to a fistfight, which Vers would have done out of a need to prove herself, and Danvers would have done out of her pride as an officer. But she is different now. She is Captain Marvel now, whereas she wasn't before. She doesn't need to fight puny YonRogg or need to prove anything. She is a goddess now, so she just powerblasts him like a scrub. Her identity is more about her powers than her personal character and that is less interesting/compelling.

Again, I still like the movie and I think CM is an awesome character, but I think CA was much better executed.

Last edited:
Replying to this here because it was a good post and I didn't want it to get lost. I enjoyed both movies, but I think Captain America was easily better, hands down. First, I think Chris Evans is just a better actor than Brie Larson. He is also perfectly cast as Captain America (CA) whereas Larson wasn't as great a fit for Captain Marvel (CM). She does not seem to enjoy playing CM as much as Evans seemed to enjoy playing CA.

Another failing that the CM movie had, vis a vis CA, was that as I recall, the former spent a lot of time, from the very beginning, focusing on her skills, abilities and ultimately, powers... ie what she could do. CA on the other hand spent alot of the beginning focusing on his moral character, ie his courage, bravery, determination, selflessness and overall worthiness. And they keep doing it throughout the movie (and in subsequent films). They keep stressing to you the kind of person he is... and pretty explicitly make it clear that he was always Captain America in his heart. Establishing that and stressing that throughout the movie makes his sacrifice at the end so easily believable... Of course he would do that... he's always been that type of person.

As an aside, a couple of the great payoffs we get for them constantly establishing the worthiness of his moral character, is when he catches Thanos gauntlet punch with his bare hands and is actually able to hold Thanos off for a few seconds, to Thanos' shocked disbelief. It was believable that Cap could perform such a feat, based on sheer willpower and righteous worthiness (I've heard the theory about him almost touching the infinity stone, but I don't buy it). Of course we also see he moves Mjolnir slightly and then in the end when he actually wields it. When Thor screams "I knew it!" it comes across as so relatable, because we were all feeling the same way. Especially for folks like me who did not already know about/remember him wielding it in the comics. We still knew he could do it because we knew he was worthy. Now I will readily concede that CA got alot more screentime across multiple movies to establish all that, but still, it was there. He was always Captain America.

Now with CM on the other hand... Vers doesn't really become Captain Marvel until she first goes back to being Carol Danvers, and then in the end where she discovers the true nature/extent of her powers. And this is put on full display in the final confrontation with Mar-Vel. He is challenging Vers to a fistfight, which Vers would have done out of a need to prove herself, and Danvers would have done out of her pride as an officer. But she is different now. She is Captain Marvel now, whereas she wasn't before. She doesn't need to fight puny Mar-Vel or prove anything. She is a goddess now, so she just powerblasts him like a scrub. Her identity is more about her powers than her personal character and that is less interesting/compelling.

Again, I still like the movie and I think CM is an awesome character, but I think CA was much better executed.
I agree with all of this. By the end of Captain Marvel, I didn't feel like I knew Carol Danvers at all. At the time, I thought it was because of Larson's performance, but now I think it had more to do with the script and/or direction.

Just yesterday, I was reading something about WandaVision, and the writer mentioned as an aside that the reason Carol Danvers looked so angry when she was confronting Thanos in Endgame wasn't just because he was The Bad Guy, it was because he'd killed Monica, and Maria had died with a broken heart during the interregnum. I swear to God, that thought never even occurred to me while watching Endgame. As you say, her key moments in Endgame were also mostly about her powers. I wonder if the writers of that movie didn't know what her character or personality was, either. The scene where she mentions to Rocket that Earth isn't the only planet that's in trouble, and the scene where she doesn't even blink when Thor's axe goes past her head are the only "character moments" she gets in those films. Okay, so she helps people and she's cool as ice; that's just your generic superhero stuff. They could have written those scenes without even knowing who was going to be in them. :lol:

I agree with all of this. By the end of Captain Marvel, I didn't feel like I knew Carol Danvers at all. At the time, I thought it was because of Larson's performance, but now I think it had more to do with the script and/or direction.

Just yesterday, I was reading something about WandaVision, and the writer mentioned as an aside that the reason Carol Danvers looked so angry when she was confronting Thanos in Endgame wasn't just because he was The Bad Guy, it was because he'd killed Monica, and Maria had died with a broken heart during the interregnum. I swear to God, that thought never even occurred to me while watching Endgame. As you say, her key moments in Endgame were also mostly about her powers. I wonder if the writers of that movie didn't know what her character or personality was, either. The scene where she mentions to Rocket that Earth isn't the only planet that's in trouble, and the scene where she doesn't even blink when Thor's axe goes past her head are the only "character moments" she gets in those films. Okay, so she helps people and she's cool as ice; that's just your generic superhero stuff. They could have written those scenes without even knowing who was going to be in them. :lol:
The only personality traits that came across to me for Captain Marvel were that she was smug, aloof and sarcastic... some of which can work with a character if they are funny or witty, like Quill, Strange or Tony. But Captain Marvel was never witty or funny. Her smugness and sarcasm just came across as mean and/or dismissive.

In fact, thinking about it, I am beginning to agree with you that the writing and directing was more to blame. They burned too much time setting up all the little plot twists and too much time on CGI Fury and Coulson. We already know those guys, they are well established characters, and we already know what ultimately happens to them. That time would have been better spent showing the relationship between Monica and Danvers, or even fleshing out Vers personality and role within her Kree team and her personal relationships with them. Too much pew-pew-pew and not enough meaningful dialogue between Vers/Danvers and anyone else.

As I recall, when she talks, its usually about the mission or task that she is doing or going to do. I may re-watch to see if I'm being overly harsh, but when I saw it in the theater, as I remember, the movie started with some mission/gun battle, one of my kids had to go to the bathroom, so I left with them, and when we got back it was the same gun battle. I remember thinking "Seriously?? They've just been shooting at each other the whole time?" :confused: I asked my wife what I missed, and she said, quote "Nothing" :lol:

The only personality traits that came across to me for Captain Marvel were that she was smug, aloof and sarcastic... some of which can work with a character if they are funny or witty, like Quill, Strange or Tony. But Captain Marvel was never witty or funny. Her smugness and sarcasm just came across as mean and/or dismissive.

In fact, thinking about it, I am beginning to agree with you that the writing and directing was more to blame. They burned too much time setting up all the little plot twists and too much time on CGI Fury and Coulson. We already know those guys, they are well established characters, and we already know what ultimately happens to them. That time would have been better spent showing the relationship between Monica and Danvers, or even fleshing out Vers personality and role within her Kree team and her personal relationships with them. Too much pew-pew-pew and not enough meaningful dialogue between Vers/Danvers and anyone else.

As I recall, when she talks, its usually about the mission or task that she is doing or going to do. I may re-watch to see if I'm being overly harsh, but when I saw it in the theater, as I remember, the movie started with some mission/gun battle, one of my kids had to go to the bathroom, so I left with them, and when we got back it was the same gun battle. I remember thinking seriously?? They've just been shooting at each other the whole time? :confused: I asked my wife what I missed, and she said, quote "Nothing" :lol:
I want to rewatch Captain Marvel too, having seen that video. I may also rewatch Captain America: The First Avenger and The Bourne Identity, which has the same amnesiac hero plot. It's funny you mention her smugness and aloofness. I was thinking about two other action movies featuring characters that the audience doesn't get to know very well, and who are kind of reserved and enigmatic: Blade and Dredd. I think Dredd just hit one of my streaming services, and I was thinking about watching it again anyway. I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, and I only watched it the once. One thing I want to look at is the 'sidekick' characters: Nick Fury in Captain Marvel; Bucky and Peggy in Captain America (interesting that this one had two); Marie in The Bourne Identity; N'Bushe Wright in Blade; and Olivia Thirlby in Dredd.

It may be that Blade and Dredd are just as cardboard as Carol Danvers, and the reason those movies were better was because of my other complaint with Captain Marvel, that the action scenes were kind of boring.

First, I think Chris Evans is just a better actor than Brie Larson. He is also perfectly cast as Captain America (CA) whereas Larson wasn't as great a fit for Captain Marvel (CM).

At the time, I thought it was because of Larson's performance, but now I think it had more to do with the script and/or direction.

In fact, thinking about it, I am beginning to agree with you that the writing and directing was more to blame

I suggest you both watch Room. That movie is fantastic and it's largely because of Brie Larson. So I think that she definitely has talent and it's a writing issue with Captain Marvel. She is supposed to be this emotional person who is trying to be stoic and that is where the aloofness and sarcasm comes from and it just doesn't work as a likable character. That plus the movie tries to cram too much into it. It's an alien invasion movie, and a buddy cop movie, and it's about amnesia, and it's about female empowerment. It's just too much. If they focused the script/plot a bit it would work better in my opinion.

She's also great in Scott Pilgrim vs The World (which coincidentally also has Chris Evans in it, who is also great) but she only has a small role in that movie.

Superman & Lois ep 101

Spoiler :
Would a giant ice-cube really slow a nuclear reaction?
I love the old costume.
I can't tell which city they're using for Metropolis in the establishing shots.
Angry son beating up Superman in Mortal Kombat. :lol:
"Call Siegel and Shuster" written on the to-do list in the kitchen.
Missed opportunity: They should've had Melissa Benoist at Martha Kent's funeral. (Although she might have been pregnant when they were filming this.)
Smallville football team is 'The Meteors.' Smallville reference?
Lana mentioned Pete. That's definitely a Smallvile reference.
The cinematography is better than the usual CW superhero shows. I hope they didn't spend half the budget on the first episode.
Good score, too.
Pretty good, overall. Not too piloty. A very promising start. I hope they can maintain the quality.

I saw a YouTube video which had someone saying that CM would have been a better film if you'd started with Carol and Monica as humans and worked through the plot chronologically without flashbacks, showing more of Carol's rebellious side, and then only starting the second third or so with the opening fist-fight on Kree. You'd lose the fake-out about Veers not being human, but then you'd get to see the Kree manipulations for what they are and you'd cheer much more for her when she breaks free and becomes her own woman.

(I'm not sure that running the film with people knowing that CM is being gaslit from the start is the best idea, but it would probably be more dynamic than the original.)

This is kinda cute. Director Andy Muschietti recorded the call where he told Sasha Calle that she got the part of Supergirl in The Flash (the movie, not the tv show).

I'm surprised they are going ahead with the Flash movie. It's been so long since it was announced (I think it was before the Batman vs Superman movie came out which was 5 years ago) that I had completely forgotten about it.

Also looking at the IMDB page apparently both Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton are playing Bruce Wayne/Batman. Maybe some time travel/multiverse shenanigans going on in this movie.

I saw a YouTube video which had someone saying that CM would have been a better film if you'd started with Carol and Monica as humans and worked through the plot chronologically without flashbacks, showing more of Carol's rebellious side, and then only starting the second third or so with the opening fist-fight on Kree. You'd lose the fake-out about Veers not being human, but then you'd get to see the Kree manipulations for what they are and you'd cheer much more for her when she breaks free and becomes her own woman.

(I'm not sure that running the film with people knowing that CM is being gaslit from the start is the best idea, but it would probably be more dynamic than the original.)
I kinda like that idea. Making the plot of a movie too dependent on a bunch of twists risks ruining the rewatch value. A twist should be an interesting variable thrown into the story for some spice... or to set up the new direction for the plot or the next chapter in the story. "No. I am your father" is good, because although it was surprising, it didn't really change anything about the outcome of the movie, or diminish the value of what came before. It was just some new info to make the whole story more spicy. "He was dead all along" is not as good, because it basically is the whole point of the movie. Once that is revealed the mystery is solved, and there is no more enjoyment to be had, because the excitement of the twist was the whole point.

Twists shouldn't be the backbone of the whole plot, because when they are, once they are revealed, the rest of the story isn't as interesting anymore, except maybe to go back and see what clues/foreshadowing of the twist that you missed... which isn't really the same as just enjoying the story again. CM was too dependent on twists...
Spoiler :
the Kree are really the bad guys and the Skrulls are the good guys... Vers is short for Danvers... She was human not Kree afterall... the Supreme Intelligence was suppressing her power rather than giving it to her
etc... just too many damn twists.

The guy in the vid I posted in the YouTube thread had that same thought. I think it's a neat idea, in part because I think you could do it with only the existing theatrical release. Theoretically, someone with commercially available editing software could re-edit the movie, without access to the cut scenes or 'b-roll', just to see what happens. I assume it would make the movie a simpler narrative, but more complex isn't always better. As @Sommerswerd says, you'd lose a lot of the movie's plot-twists, but overall, I think just telling the story in chronological sequence might be a net gain for the development of the central character.

I'm surprised they are going ahead with the Flash movie. It's been so long since it was announced (I think it was before the Batman vs Superman movie came out which was 5 years ago) that I had completely forgotten about it.

Also looking at the IMDB page apparently both Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton are playing Bruce Wayne/Batman. Maybe some time travel/multiverse shenanigans going on in this movie.
Yeah, a "multiverse" is all the rage these days.

Have folks seen Joker starring Joaquin Phoenix? Any thoughts? I just saw it last night for the first time... and uhhhhmmm... Ohhh Kayee... I mean I thought it was good but damn... they really went dark, even for the Joker. After seeing Joker go from the silly, campy TV show character when I was a kid to the very dark, but still very funny, gallows humor-wielding Jokers that Jack Nicholson and Mark Hamill gave us... to the insanely dark Heath Ledger Joker... I didn't think they could go any further down the abyss than that. In fact I saw Jared Leto's Joker as almost a reaction to what the character did to Ledger... like an apology for pushing too far with the dark, troubled mind Joker thing... since they finally pushed someone off the deep end. So they go back to making the Joker silly and clownish again. I don't particularly care for Leto's Joker. I think he's too much like muscle and not enough like a mob boss. In my mind, the Joker is supposed to be classy, wearing a 3 piece suit and dress shoes.

In any case, I liked Phoenix Joker's backstory better. Alfred's "some men just want to watch the world burn" in Dark Knight never sat well with me. The Joker is better when he has some motivation for being so crazy. I also like that he's older than Bruce rather than younger like they've been doing recently. I never like the Joker being portrayed as younger than Batman. I also liked them having the Joker play a role in Bruce's parents death. Batman's line in Dawn of Justice that his parents died "for no reason at all" also never sat well with me.

I wish that they would blend the last few Jokers into a new Joker, combining some of the elements of each. I like Phoenix's backstory, but I think it should have happened when he was in his late teens, so that he can go to jail/Arkham become like Leto's joker in his 20's in jail, then escape and become Ledger's Joker, set to take over the criminal world by force, culminating with him as Nicholson's Joker... or something along those lines.

I remember liking it. Phoenix was great and it's definitely a dark and chilling movie. It made the Joker more to be an anti-villain than a straight out villain. Like he's still evil but you can see how, and even understand how he got there. I also remembering thinking that parts of it felt contrived. Almost everyone was relentlessly a jerk to him, some of which was above and beyond what I would expect from normal people.

Alfred's "some men just want to watch the world burn" in Dark Knight never sat well with me

I kinda liked that about the Heath Ledger Joker. The lack of a backstory made him seem otherworldly, someone so different from anything Batman has faced before. Understanding that the Joker isn't like normal bad guys is the main obstacle that Batman has to overcome in order to defeat him.

The Dark Knight is a parable about terrorism, as it was understood in the 4-5 years after 9/11 (e.g. capricious, irrational, senseless), so Ledger's Joker had to be inscrutable. He couldn't be given a reason for doing what he did, because we weren't supposed to understand or sympathize with him. I haven't seen Phoenix's Joker yet.

Phoenix's Joker is really good, but really dark. Don't watch it if you are feeling down that day.

Zack Snyder's Justice League Temporarily Available On HBO Max A Week Early

HBO Max users reported seeing the Snyder Cut when they hit play on Tom & Jerry

The anticipated release of Zack Snyder's Justice League is inching near, but a week before its scheduled debut, the film already leaked on HBO Max.

In a surprising turn of events, Zack Snyder's Justice League accidentally releases on HBO Max a week before its scheduled debut. Fans have been clamoring for the so-called Snyder Cut of the Warner Bros. and DC ensemble film since its theatrical counterpart was released in 2017. Assembled by Joss Whedon, the version of the story that played on the big screen was nowhere near what the original director Zack Snyder wanted for the film. After years of campaigning, supporters of the Release the Snyder Cut movement are all buzzing about the upcoming rollout of the much-clamored-for cut, but it turns out, some of them may not have to wait until March 18 to see it.

Over the years, it's gotten increasingly clear what really went down behind closed doors that led to the significant changes made to Justice League after Snyder had to step away from the project due to a family tragedy. This was enough motivation for fans to demand the Snyder Cut, with the filmmaker consistently teasing what his original work would've looked like. Finally, thanks to the interest from his supporters, coupled with HBO Max's attempt to beef up their content following its launch, Zack Snyder's Justice League was finally greenlit. Not only did the director get funding to finish his cut of the movie, but he also got enough for additional reshoots resulting in him being able to slot Jared Leto's Joker into the project.

Since the release date for Zack Snyder's Justice League was announced, fans have been counting the days to its release. So they were surprised when various posts on social media revealed that HBO Max has accidentally released it a week early. The movie was seemingly uploaded in place of Tom & Jerry; viewers who were trying to watch the live-action cat-and-mouse romp were caught off guard when Zack Snyder's Justice League started playing instead, as seen in social media posts from Ryan Parker and leirbag. Watch the videos below:

Fired up ‘Tom & Jerry’ on HBO Max... and the #SnyderCut started to play... pic.twitter.com/myhq7iC0bY

— Ryan Parker (@TheRyanParker) March 8, 2021

The leak comes amidst the final push for Zack Snyder's Justice League marketing. Snyder has been releasing character-centric teasers and posters, with the latest one highlighting Wonder Woman's role in the project. Aside from that, other trailers such as a freshly-dropped teaser showcasing Darkseid battling Superman have been rolled out to further drive the hype for the HBO Max offering. Given this, it's uncertain what exactly happened to its premature release on the platform. Unlike typical leaks, the footage was categorized as an entirely different film, making this circumstance unique.

Whether or not this incident will be investigated is uncertain at this point, but it's disappointing that in the middle of fans' excitement for Zack Snyder's Justice League having waited for it for more than three years, it suffered this major snafu. A big part of the reason why HBO Max greenlit the project is that they recognized the massive clamor for it, and they thought it made sense to give the audience what they wanted. Knowing full well how important the film is to many, it's strange it wasn't handled with more care to prevent a leak.

9 days until official release date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom