Team MAVERICKS

And I can imagine people getting dispirited if they find their sole responsibility is a fishing village in the tundra with only a few furs for company :D

Most my choices are a bit unorthodox for the average player, so I am not so sure that is a great asset here! However, I am willing to adapt to the general concensus.

If I must be a member of a team to see what will go on in these private pit-boss games, then I guess you can go ahead and sign me up.

I think you'd be surprised how much unorthodox play styles like your own help (as well as greatly entertain) people like me who are reading lots and looking to improve. I'm very excited at the prospect of having you onboard! (I also all of a sudden got this feeling that we'll be building more shinies...)

To the team - I think I'll be able to host an intra-team pitboss, so we should be good to play a game for ourselves shortly.

When will that be up? I've never actually played MP outside of my siblings (whom I can predict like the past...:p), so I'm interested to play against some new (and better) people.

About idea of one person being in charge of one city (which we shouldn't implement, because it wouldn't be fun for all).
What about having departments within the team? Like department for military, department of foreign affairs, department of science, etc...
Everyone should still be able to speak and say what they think about the current situation, but there would be few people that could make a decision in case there is no majority or agreement on certain matter.
We could maybe find out who would be good for which role in team's pitboss?

Just an idea, we can further develop this once we have team forum. And of course, this idea is open for the discussion.

When will that be up? I've never actually played MP outside of my siblings (whom I can predict like the past...:p), so I'm interested to play against some new (and better) people.

I'm hoping it'll be up maybe a week after we get private forums set up.

About idea of one person being in charge of one city (which we shouldn't implement, because it wouldn't be fun for all).
What about having departments within the team? Like department for military, department of foreign affairs, department of science, etc...
Everyone should still be able to speak and say what they think about the current situation, but there would be few people that could make a decision in case there is no majority or agreement on certain matter.
We could maybe find out who would be good for which role in team's pitboss?

Just an idea, we can further develop this once we have team forum. And of course, this idea is open for the discussion.

We'll think about those departments. I already suggested a "department" for diplomacy.

It'd be like having the advisors back from Civ 3! (and soon to be Civ 5 :drool: ) But seriously, all this discussion is good and exciting but should probably be saved for when the private forum is setup so things can be organised into different threads. (I'm already getting some ideas... and impatient)

It'd be like having the advisors back from Civ 3! (and soon to be Civ 5 :drool: ) But seriously, all this discussion is good and exciting but should probably be saved for when the private forum is setup so things can be organised into different threads. (I'm already getting some ideas... and impatient)

Agreed. :D

// FK

Wow, no one signed up all day long :(. Who do we need to ask for team forums, I think there is lot to be discussed in next two weeks if game is projected to start in early April?

Who do we need to ask for team forums, I think there is lot to be discussed in next two weeks if game is projected to start in early April?
They've already been requested, and should arrive within in the next couple of days. :)

Well it would be nice to discuss what choice of leaders, etc, but I think that's all better saved for when private forums are set, so things are Safe & Secure from prying eyes!

I still am not 100% sure on now these pitbosses work. So every team plays on the SAME exact map, but go PBEM style? 1 Turn a day or so? I've had quite some experience with online games, and I am asked to wonder, aside from inexperience, what is preventing these games from being an all-out bloodfest from the get-go? Are there certain mandatory peace-terms in place?

Well it would be nice to discuss what choice of leaders, etc, but I think that's all better saved for when private forums are set, so things are Safe & Secure from prying eyes!

I still am not 100% sure on now these pitbosses work. So every team plays on the SAME exact map, but go PBEM style? 1 Turn a day or so? I've had quite some experience with online games, and I am asked to wonder, aside from inexperience, what is preventing these games from being an all-out bloodfest from the get-go? Are there certain mandatory peace-terms in place?

Core difference from PBEM is simultaneous turns - always messy! And yeah, about a turn a day.

Some good points there! Is there a standard set of rules for pitboss round here?

There's certainly no mechanic to stop the bloodfest... although I supose it depends how close we are and the shape/style of the map?

The map is typically sufficiently large and appropriately shaped so that no team can immediately rush their neighbour and eliminate them. However, inevitably in these games there will be wars at some point... but they're more calculated than wars in online games, and typically there will be more than one civ on each side (i.e. allies fighting together). So yes, war is pretty much guaranteed at some point, but it's much more complex than the simple "rush your neighbour ASAP" strategy you see in most online games. Indeed, quite often your neighbour will end up being a close ally for a considerable portion of the game.

I wonder about dogpiling as well. This certainly adds a bit of un-fair luck into the diplo side of things. But on the other hand, anyone who doesn't help in dogpiling the Roman neighbours, is simply asking to lose his empire to Pratts. It is his own fault when that happens.

Yeah, diplomacy in these games tends to look after itself. If you're too strong, or seen to be strong, people will attack you - if you're too weak, people will request your help in attacking the strongest civ.

For a flavour of what this sort of thing is like, I'll point you towards Sullla's excellent report of the Apolyton Demogame (it's quite a read at thirteen pages, but as with all of his stuff, excellently written). 1 turn a day means things are slow in the beginning, but hopefully we'll have plenty of discussion between us.

Yeah, diplomacy in these games tends to look after itself. If you're too strong, or seen to be strong, people will attack you - if you're too weak, people will request your help in attacking the strongest civ.

For a flavour of what this sort of thing is like, I'll point you towards Sullla's excellent report of the Apolyton Demogame (it's quite a read at thirteen pages, but as with all of his stuff, excellently written). 1 turn a day means things are slow in the beginning, but hopefully we'll have plenty of discussion between us.

I'm just about to finish reading, of that article, and all I can say is: Boy I can't wait this to start. Diplomacy is at so much higher level than in SP games, it's like difference between local league in some sport and Olympics!

And also as a conclusion from the same game, I hope we have some guy with mathematician skills who isn't board to do a LOT of in game calculation.

Personally I see no reason not to have those team forums even today, and if there is a sixth team they can just join later on.

Top Bottom