Team Poll: Simultaneous vs. Sequential

Sequential turns or Simultaneous turns

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SilentConfusion

Emperor
We are supposed to decide this, so we'd better have a poll.

A roundup for both options would be handy :)

Is simultaneous that all the civs can play there "turn" at the same time? And sequential is normal play. All civs have there turn after another. Right?

I voted simultaneous, but the admins got to look real hard for double moves.

can they police double moves? If so I would certainly be willing to play simultaneous... I rarely play mp, and then only with friend in RL so we generally just trust each other not to do so, but this is one reason (of many) I stopped playing on gamespy.

Can someone explain?

From my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong), double moves are when someone waits until the very end of a turn to move, and then moves again at the very start of the next turn, essentially giving them 2 moves in a row. This can only happen with simultaneous turns, when everyone plays their turn at the same time. However, if we play sequential turns (with each turn being separate for each time, like a single player game), it's obviously going to take much much longer to play.

As for how double moves are policed I'm not sure, but those are the major advantages/disadvantages to to each option.

Can't they build something that you can't move the last hour of every turn? Freezing the game so you can take screens on how the situation is looking at the end of every turn.

(god I am feeling such a noob)

sequential will be a lot easier to manage. It will be a bit slower turnover - but if you look at the last game this was not really much of a problem.

The instances when the last game was held up was for negotiations and rulings on allegations of cheating. Simut turns has the potential to increase cheating allegations.

sequential will be a lot easier to manage. It will be a bit slower turnover - but if you look at the last game this was not really much of a problem.

The instances when the last game was held up was for negotiations and rulings on allegations of cheating. Simut turns has the potential to increase cheating allegations.
I agree.

The people who want simultaneous turns want it because they think it will be faster. But honestly, what held up the turns was not sequential turn taking, it was PAUSING, pausing for diplo, pausing for combat related disputes, allegations of abusing game mechanics etc. Most of the time with sequential turns, the turn was finished in about 24 -48 hours. This will not be any different than with simultaneous timer of 48hours.

If we play similtaneous turns, there will probably just be more pausing TBH. And there will definitely be more combat related disputes IMO. Pure Double-moves are not the only combat related issue with simultaneous turns. There is also Double promotions, double slaving, double drafting, etc, etc, etc...

We should play sequential turns. At least we already have experience with that, so we know what the issues are. Playing an MTDG with similtaneous turns has potential to raise all kinds of unexpected issues.

Well I've been persuaded, change my vote to sequential.

Can't they build something that you can't move the last hour of every turn? Freezing the game so you can take screens on how the situation is looking at the end of every turn.

(god I am feeling such a noob)

No, because then people would play in the second to last hour of the turn. Sequential makes more sense, and we can finish it faster if 1 turn is 12 hours instead of 24. That puts a lot of pressure on the turnplayer, so I don't know if that's practical.

With 6 teams, I think the game will move 6 times faster with simultaneous. And as TheMeInTeam notices, this game might lose interest with the Civ V release. The previous game took over a year and ended premature(?). So I'll go for the fast option, simultaneous.

Hey, I don't see anyone on this team deserting the AMAZONs as soon as Civ V comes out. I'm just worried about the other teams. In the last MTD 1 (or maybe 2?) teams retired. Maybe that'll happen this time?

I still stand by the Sequential turns. I didn't know Simultaneous would have been 48 hours rather than 24, I assumed it was 24 because everyone kept saying most of the time a pitboss turn is 24 hours. It makes sense though that if 6 teams are playing at the same time to make it slightly longer, essentially meaning that Simultaneous is only 3 times faster than Sequential. Which isn't really that bad. And with Sequential turns, there shouldn't be that much pausing anyway. (Of course, in the last MTD there were pauses too, so I guess it's inevitable).

You can't perhaps change a pitboss's turn timer in the middle, can you? :lol:

when you have a 24-hour timer on a Sequential game, does every turn take 24 hours or does every turn take maximum 24 hours? Like if a team ends a turn after 6 hours, does the turn pass to the next team? sorry for my english and noobiness

when you have a 24-hour timer on a Sequential game, does every turn take 24 hours or does every turn take maximum 24 hours? Like if a team ends a turn after 6 hours, does the turn pass to the next team? sorry for my english and noobiness

That's a good question; I hadn't thought about that. In a normal multiplayer game, if the turn timer is say 30 seconds on a given turn and everyone finishes after 15, then the game passes on. I hadn't heard anyone say anything about it tho.

And btw, your english is 100% correct. About the noobiness, I think a lot of us are exactly where you are. :goodjob:

The way it works is that there is 24 hours to take your turn. If everyone finishes their turn early the next turn begins right away. Anyone can take their turn any time within that 24 hours.

The way it works is that there is 24 hours to take your turn. If everyone finishes their turn early the next turn begins right away. Anyone can take their turn any time within that 24 hours.

That does seems a lot more practical. Either way, Sequential is a lot easier to work out (and wins 11-6, because of r20's change). That also means double moves is a lot easier to manage.

Does it work that way in Sequential too? (Team Amazon's 24 hour timeframe starts. 10 hours later, we make our move. Does Team Merlot's (hypothetically speaking) 24 hour timeframe start right now, or in 14 hours?)

Top Bottom