Tech tree statistics and ingame tech tree.

@KaTiON_PT you can make screenshots of tech tree again - not sure how you made solid background for techs.

I changed the "civilopediabg2-opaque" screen in art\interface\screens\civilopedia to a solid color, then I went to Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Interface.xml and replaced SCREEN_BG (line 937) with "civilopediabg2-opaque".

@raxo2222 most recent prehistoric and information tech trees.
Icons changed places in other eras too, as I removed tech requirement redundancies, and I made sure that tech requirement outside of <techtypes> (techtypes is representing secondary tech requirements) is most advanced one.

Icons changed places in other eras too, as I removed tech requirement redundancies, and I made sure that tech requirement outside of <techtypes> (techtypes is representing secondary tech requirements) is most advanced one.

I'll screenshot them all again in that case.

Questions:
How many times do we need to change Tech names? How much confusion is it causing?

Questions:
How many times do we need to change Tech names? How much confusion is it causing?
I think his tech renames weren't needed at all, especially ones that made techs to sound too specific, and those that reverted Pepper's renames.

I think his tech renames weren't needed at all, especially ones that made techs to sound too specific, and those that reverted Pepper's renames.
I know someone's going to tell me I can easily look at the compare in GitHub, and that's true, but would someone help me out by listing off the techs old and new names? In my unit review I'm considering future units in some chains and need to know if any concepts have been adjusted - I may agree or disagree with some name changes and because of the original way it was done when I went to look at comparing it I wasn't able to.

I know someone's going to tell me I can easily look at the compare in GitHub, and that's true, but would someone help me out by listing off the techs old and new names? In my unit review I'm considering future units in some chains and need to know if any concepts have been adjusted - I may agree or disagree with some name changes and because of the original way it was done when I went to look at comparing it I wasn't able to.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hQeWf8sAG5_lbmsMNreaa9SlSVhhXwo-MuKW6yeb1ss

Thank you. Upon a quick review I like about 20% of these changes and would probably want about 80% or so reversed. I'll review them in depth later.

Thank you. Upon a quick review I like about 20% of these changes and would probably want about 80% or so reversed. I'll review them in depth later.
For the lols, let's see if we're "on the same page".

These I would revert:
Animal Husbandry, Dualism, Ancient Ballistics, Ancient Machinery, Horse Breeding, Armoured Cavalry, Armour Crafting, Naval Cannon, Artillery, Women's Suffrage, Guided Weapons, Asteroid Belt Probes, Bacterium Engineering, Disaster Robots, Gene Manipulation, Genetic Biochem, Direct Merchandising, Acoustic Weaponry

I would keep:
Codes of Conduct, Cultural Heritage, Fencing, Seismology

For Nocturnalism, I don't like either, and suggest 'Night Tactics', 'Cover of Night' or 'Cover of Darkness'

For Genomic Encyclopedia, suggest 'Complete Genome Mapping' or simply 'Genome Mapping'.

For others I have no opinion.
ETA: To clarify, my bad, I only saw the list up to the start of Nanotech. I might have had opinions about later ones, although if I didn't know what the tech was about I would always be "on the fence" (what? me? research?:lol:).

Last edited:
Well, let's see:

Prehistoric:
  • Animal Husbandry → Pastoralism (Revert - I don't feel too strongly here but I don't see the need to take a perfect naming, particularly one with such a depth of CivIV tradition, and change it.)
  • Conduct → Codes of Conduct (On the fence with this. Vokarya left me with a bit of an eye for less is more with tech name # of words. That said, Conduct IS vague so I'm probably better off with the new naming.)
  • Nocturnalism → Ambush Tactics (Revert - The idea here is that finally people are getting brave enough with their long mastery of fire and gradual overcoming of the fearsome monsters of the wild that they are no longer bound to only operating during the day, and as a result quickly begin to realize the benefits that activity at night can offer. This renaming misses the point.)

Ancient:
  • Dualism → Moral Dualism (Revert - I feel that Dualism when stated alone already refers to the yin-yang of all forces, including good and evil and morality. It is meant to be possible to see this tech as something more than JUST about morality. It's about advances in philosophy in general. I think more Easter thinking people might get this reference better.)
  • Heritage → Cultural Heritage (Leaning towards Revert because what other kind of Heritage is there anyhow so isn't Cultural a little unnecessary?)

Classical:
  • Ancient Ballistics → Siege Engines (Revert - I would be able to live with this except that we already have siege engines in the game at Ancient Machinery and this is just an advancement tech for that already discovered technology.)
  • Ancient Machinery → Mechanics (Hmm... I would be ok with THIS tech being Siege Engines, particularly since it opens up access to the Siege Engineer. I feel Mechanics is a little advanced as a term for this position on the tree perhaps.)
  • Horse Breeding → Equestrianism (I like it. The breeding would already be a mastered and further exploring technology by now but this tech does represent improvements to riding technology and methods more than improvements to the types of horses themselves.)

Medieval:
  • Armoured Cavalry → Barding (I like it. Big improvement IMO.)
  • Armour Crafting → Plated Armour (I think this is probably right because we should've had chainmail long before this. Plate too but heavier interlocking plate design advancements were rapid at this stage and to call it this would be more accurate. I'd just call it Plate Mail though. Let's get away from the British VS American spelling conflict if we can avoid it.)

Renaissance:
  • Dueling → Fencing (OK - I think Dueling is a bit more inclusive but it was more of a social movement than a tech.)
  • Naval Cannon → Naval Artillery (Revert. They were still cannons at this stage, not artillery. Sure, artillery is a more generic term, but it gives a different, more modern connotation, particularly in CivIV.)

Industrial:
  • Artillery → Breech-Loading Artillery (Revert. I guess this is somewhat more accurate as it was changed but it's more words than we need and the next thing we'll need to do is change the name of the unit, which I really don't wish to do. Brevity is good here.)
  • Women's Suffrage → Feminism (Revert. Feminism is generally considered a more modern movement that takes things to a much more extreme stage of the expansion of Feminine power, to the point that it verges on going beyond simply pushing for equality. Women's Sufferage was a more limited chapter in that larger movement that has been taking place ever since and was specifically about earning women more equivalent rights to vote and work. Hope I don't irritate anyone with this... I know it's a sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooper touchy subject these days, and all the more reason to NOT have it as a named tech.)

Atomic:
  • Guided Weapons → Smart Munitions (um, no. Please revert.)
  • Modern Seismology → Seismology (ok, yeah I get the reason for this.)

Information:
  • Asteroid Belt Probes → Asteroid Belt Exploration (Meh, don't care either way)
  • Bacterium Engineering → Synthetic Microbiology (hmm... both are fine by me. The first may better reflect the game reason to get the tech (eventually) but the second is probably a bit more accurate and a wider definition to its potential access.)
  • Disaster Robots → Disaster Robotics (I guess this might be a slight improvement.)
  • Genomic Encyclopedia → Genome Browsers (Gonna side with Yudi on this: Genome Mapping seems to be the right expression here. The first is more of a project than a tech and the second is a very limited way to express things and indicates more the tech to explore the library of information we have, whereas Genome Mapping captures more of the whole concept.)
  • Gene Manipulation → Genetic Engineering (I think I like the rename better here. Slightly.)
  • Genesis Biology → Synthetic Genomics (OK, I'm cool with this change. Not because of any religious connotation in Genesis but because I think the second is a bit more descriptive.)
  • Imaginary Physics → BSM Physics (I'd revert this as Imaginary Physics makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than BSM (?)Physics. I've heard of Imaginary Physics and have an idea of what that means whereas BSM means what? Even if the I went to find out, I generally dislike anagrams and like to avoid them if possible. It's used in units a lot and I'm still debating whether to cease that use and just spell out what it stands for. This from a guy that WAS in the Army.)
  • Genetic Biochemistry → Stem-Cell Therapy (I actually really like this and it helps to capture the timing of the tech a bit better. A bit too much in Gene tech is a little too generically named to know what it's referring to exactly.)
  • Direct Merchandising → Disintermediation (Revert. Direct Merchandising says this much more clearly to me. Direct Merchandising isn't just about cutting out the middle man which has been happening since Amway in the 80s. It's about shipping direct to customer without a storefront involved that is proliferated highly through the net. 'Online Shopping' or 'Digital Commerce' might be even better since Sears & Roebuck introduced Direct Merchandising with its catalogue way back before actual toilet paper commonly replaced the use of tearing out pages from the cheap publication you'd keep in the toilet room.)

Nanotech:
  • Acoustic Weaponry → Ultrasonic Weaponry (Revert. Without question Acoustic Weaponry is a much larger and wider term of application than mere Ultrasonic Weaponry, which is a small sub-category of that whole realm of modern study.)
  • Advanced Computers → Reversible Computing (Reversible? I don't get it. Advanced Computers probably needs something more descriptive. Is this representing Trinary Microchips or Quantum Computing? Or both?)
  • Advanced Environmental Systems → Space Habitats (hmm... on the fence.)
  • Amplified Wavelengths → Optical Amplifiers (Reverse. Not just about light waves, despite the current applications appearing to only address that part of it.)
  • Anti-Aging Medicine → Life-Extending Medicine (On the fence. True that Anti-Aging Medicine in the modern expression is more about the illusion of being younger than it is about actually countering age. Life-Extending Medicine is clunky af. I might rename it, "Longevity")
  • Automated Robotics → Societal Automation (I don't like either one. Automation Systems maybe. The new one is probably a little better than the original at least.)
  • Thought Scanners → Neruographic Devices (Revert. The first is clear and concise to me.)
  • DNA Computing → Wetware Computers (After googling this, I'm happy with the change.)
  • Dystopia Pathogens → Nanbotic Pathogens (Nanobotic Pathogens? Designer Diseases perhaps.)
  • Electromagnetic Field Shielding → EMF Shields (Please Revert. I explained above.)
  • Electromagnetic Voltage → EMPtronics (Please Revert. Explained above.)
  • Hypothetical Biochemistry → Hyperbiochemical Engineering (Um... I can accept this change. It IS a bit more accurate to the tech's meaning but its meaning is not as quickly imparted upon the reader.)
  • Media Hivemind → Gestalt Culture (I think I like the original better. Sorta. Gestalt Culture just seems more vague. The Hivemind aspect seems a bit too overstating. Perhaps Hyperpropaganda?)
  • Ontology Engineering → Ontological Engineering (Ok)
  • Personal Robots → Personal Robotics (Ok)
  • Prototyped Pathogens → Synthetic Pathology (Pathogens seems to be less vague but I like Synthetic over Prototyped. So I'd go with Synthetic Pathogens. Pathology could be referring to the psychology of a subject under study.)
  • Smart Drugs → Nootropics (After googling Nootropics, I think the name change misses the point of the tech entirely. The DRUGS are smart, not just chemical but nanite assisted and so on, able to achieve much more complex and measured results in any application they are administered for. They are not just drugs to make people smart.)
  • Supersonic Rails → Vactrains (I'm... tentatively ok with this because Supersonic Rails are already in play at this point and we've been talking about doing Vactrains for a while now.)
  • Universal Translator → Unified Lexicon (Bit of a difference in the meaning here. One is a babblefish where the other is a singularly adopted language. I think revert is more accurate to the intent of the tech.)
  • Warmachines → Battledroids (Revert - as much about the rise of Mech tech as it is about Droid combatants.)
  • Forst Beams → Weaponized Frost (Revert - not all new weapons techs need to follow a singular naming convention. Furthermore, Thermal Negation, a bit further down the tree, is another stage of the same technology where it goes beyond focusing into a beam and becomes more of a deep freeze weapon of mass destruction, which would by this naming suggest it would not require 2 techs, whereas the first is intended to be a bit of a limited wavelength based freezing ray or beam tech only - useful for cryogenics to open up as a result of as well though.)

Transhuman:
  • Advanced Shielding → Ultrashielding (On the fence.)
  • Artificial Photosynthesis → Plantoids (Interesting renaming. I'm ok with keeping it. It's a bit more evocative.)
  • Apocalyptic Pathogens → Nanite-Anima Pathogens (I think this may well be a good rename.)
  • Artificial Evolution → Evolutionary Cybernetics (Definitely revert - NOT about just Cybernetics at all but about self-guided evolution becoming an everyday embraced social movement. I actually feel it should be a good place for a new civic or two and I have no unit concepts to go along with this, especially not a new Cyborg unit, which will get a new upgrade design just 2 columns later. It could easily be understood to lay the groundwork for that upgrade though.)
  • Artificial Nucleosynthesis → Nucleosynthetic Production (Meh. ok either way)
  • Binary Psychokinesis → Cybernetic Psychokinesis (I'm VERY good with this name change since this IS explained as requiring a cyborg psyche to manage this trick and I have a unit in the works to represent exactly that. I had to research what the tech designer meant by Binary before I understood the point enough to attach a unit to it so this clears that up, even if the original might be a tad more elegant.)
  • Binary Semiotics → Cyberlogical Semiotics (Can we just call this Semiotics? Makes more sense that way.)
  • Binary Subconsciousness → Subconsciousness Engineering (I'm kinda ok with this since I don't think processing will be in Binary code at this stage - Trinary actually. But Artificial Subconsciousness sounds better IMO)
  • Binary Legislation → Cybernetic Jurisprudence (I like it.)
  • Evolved Construction → Evolutionary Architecture (ok)
  • Extraterrestrial Agriculture → Closed Ecological Systems (I'd revert this since I tend to think of it less as synthetic environmental control and more as figuring out how to make things grown on other planets without the need for such environmental control, due to genetic engineering of the stuff we'd grow there.)
  • Homo Superior → Anthropological Uplifting (PLEASE revert. There's a very good reason coming up on the horizon. Homo Superior may be a little magnanimous and X-Menish but I kinda want to think of it that way.)
  • Ion Cannon → Weaponized Ions (Again, No need to put Weaponized on every weapon tech. Please Revert for the sake of variation and the indication that the tech is about a fired, non-sustained beam rather than a large array of potential applications. This 'Cannon' term helps to hint at both its strength and its weaknesses in strategic applications.)
  • Knowledge Mercantilism → Epistemological Economics (I'm unsure on this. May as well keep the new name I guess.)
  • Neuron Engineering → Neuroengineering (I like the new one.)
  • Synthetic Synesthesia → Augmented Aesthesis (I'm not sure... I lean towards the first name a bit. Augmentation suggests that we're talking about enhancing senses that exist whereas Synthetic Synesthesia may include that but also indicates we might be creating entirely new and previously unexperienced senses entirely.)
  • Whole Brain Emulation → Neurocybernetics (Not about Cybernetics but about the complete ability to replicate brain activity in AI thought. I'd lean towards reverting but would be willing to consider other naming because I agree that the original is a bit clunky.)
  • Mythological Bestiary → Mytho-Cryptozoological Biology (I would prefer a revert on this for a few reasons related to unit plans and how the tone of these development leans more towards the first.)
  • Novus Chemistry → Cybermetamaterialogical Chemistry (No opinion here.)

Galactic:
  • Advanced Seedships → Seedship Megagengineering (ok)
  • Fusion Spacecraft → Fusion Propulsion (ok)
  • Transtangible Neutrino Accelerators → Neutrino Accelerators (ok)

Cosmic:
  • Applied Relativity → Relativistic Engineering (ok, though we do use the term engineering a lot throughout the tech tree so I somewhat prefer the original as a result.)

Transcendent:

• Dualflux Quantum Temporal Rift → Rift Travel (I think I prefer the original - yes the new one is simpler so I'm not demanding a reversion here, just saying I LIKE the original more because it suggests the rift can breach time as well as space)
  • Metaverse → Metaverse Travel (Probably an improvement though I'm not 100% sure about that yet.)

Couple of nitpicks on some of the early Domestication Techs. Why is Felid, Equid, and Camelid better than Feline, Equine, and Camel?

Top Bottom