Term 3: Tech and Trade (TnT)

CommandoBob

AbstractArt
Minister of Trade and Technology - The Minister of Trade and Technology is responsible for all trade initiatives and research goals. The Minister also coordinates any plans for spaceship construction.
1) TnT analysis for next turnset will be done shortly.
2) TnT will need a deputy minister for a spell early in the month. civplayah was deputy in Term 1, but now he has a higher pay-grade. Anyone interested?

Great, billybones27, you're the deputy TnT Minister. Thanks!

I will be out of town from May 5 to May 11, so you're going to have one, maybe two, turn sessions where your input will be critical.

EDIT:
billybones27 (namechange) -> bowsling

We lack Map Making in leaving the Ancient Times and we are counting on one of our neighbors to help us learn this through The Great Library. In the meantime, we stockpile gold.

I see no reason to change this.

Middle Ages
Engineering or Feudalism should be the first tech we learn. Which one depends on other things. I would prefer to get Engineering first so that rivers don't slow our units down during troop movement. But if we at war, then Feudalism looks good since we can build Pikes.

We need to meet Persia and China to enhance the affects of The Great Libary.

Technology Recommendations: Map Making at current speed, followed by Engineering and Feudalism.
EDIT: We might get lucky with The Great Libary. If so, head for Military Tradition.

There are no current good deals to be had.

Ottomasn are broke and stupid.
Foromarch we aren't trading with.
Byzantnes want way too much for Map Making (Literature, 10 gpt and all 215 of our gold.

Once we enter the Middle Ages, we might want to gift the Ottomans into the Middle Ages with so and try to buy their free tech. Ottomans would need Code of Laws, Map Making and Currency.

We need contact with Persia and China to see what trading options we have with them.

Trade Recommendations: No worthwhile deals to be had. Need contact with China and Persia.

I disagree with getting Feudalism early. I think we should get it as late as possible, to preserve the gallic swordsman.
Our first tier options are Monotheism, Feudalism and Engineering. Mono we don't want because it leads to Education, which kills The Great Library. That leaves Feudalism and Engineering. Of those, Engineering lets us build Trebuchets, plant forests and cross rivers without penalty. Feudalism gives us new units, which we don't appear to need (Maces and Pikes).

Since we are planning on learning off others, we don't have a lot of control over what we learn.

However, to really answer the question you asked, even if we learn Feudalism, we can still build Gallic Swords, as long as we haven't had/begun our Golden Age.
And what about HBR?
We already know that; we learned it on the last set of turns. I didn't read all the chat log, so I don't know when we got that knowledge. But the tech tree shows it in blue.

The Chinese are in a Republic and spreading the knowledge of that government form to other nations, who re accepting it. The Byzs are in Anarchy, the Ottomans are revolting for a second times (1st for Monarchy), both of which will probably become a Republic. I've blocked the little Chinaman from heading North to the Fomorch, but they will eventually spread their knowledge, I'm sure.

We are learning Engineering with 1 geek and adding about +90 gold to our treasury each turn.

In the Middle Ages, we have learned Feudalism, Monotheism, Chivalry and Theology. Which means we could learn Education at any time, which will kill The Great Library. I'm assuming we are beelining for Military Tradition, so that we can have Gallic Swords, Ancient Cavalry and normal Calvary (all fast movers) swarm over our foes all at one time.

Military Tradition is five techs away (Engineering -> Invention -> Chemistry -> Metallurgy -> Mil Trad), and we will probably have had our Golden Age long before we get to that tech, so we won't have many GSs fighting alongside our normal Cavalry.

Technology Recommendations: Continue our one geek run on Engineering, hoping that we can learn Engineering from The Great Library before Education kills that form of learning. Head towards Military Tradition. If The Great Library becomes obsolete, research rate should be determined by the Turn Player based on current in-game realities.

We have no embassies with either China or Persia. Persia's will cost 92 gold, China's 64. We have 1369 gold.

We are building Sistine Chapel. So are Byzantines (Adrianople) and Persia (Arbela). We have 36 turns to go and I don't remember if Sistine's is a placeholder or not. Currently, we can investigate Adrianople for 66 gold. Without an embassy, we cannot investigate Arbela.

Persia: 37 gold; knows what we know.
China: 32 gold; lacks Monotheism and Feudalism. No gpt for trade; only 32 gold. No deal.
Byzantines: 9 gold; knows what we know.
Foromach: 8 gold and 1 worker. Worker will cost 106 gold. Or we can sell Code Of Laws for the worker and all 8 gold. If they weren't the Foromach, that is.
Ottomans: 3 gold; lack Monotheism. No gpt for trade; only 3 gold. No deal.

Trade Recommedations: No worthwhile deals to be had. Establish embassies with China and Persia. If we are serious about building The Sistine Chapel, investigate Adrianople and Arbela.

The Great Library is now obsolete. We have learned Education and Engineering. We are learning Invention. Invention gives us Muskets (Leonardo's Workshop).

Current science rate is 50%, -11 gpt, 1662 gold. Several libraries are under construction to help us learn faster.

Technology Recommendations: Military Tradation is still the big goal for us. Research rate should be determined by the in-game situation.

We have no embassy with either Greece. It will cost 78 gold. We have plenty of gold (1000 +).

We are building Sistine Chapel (21 turns) and The Great Lighthouse (25 turns). So are several others.

Byzantines: 0 gold; knows what we know.
Ottomans: 63 gold; lack Theology, Engineering and Chivalry. We can trade Theology for 63 of 63 gold and 1 gpt. No deal.
Persia: 12 gold; knows what we know.
Greece: 20 gold; knows what we know.
China: 13 gold; lacks Theology, Engineering and Chivalry. No gpt for trade; only 13 gold. No deal.
Foromach: 4 gold; lacks Republic, Monotheism, Feudalisma and Engineering. Eve if they weren't the Foromach, no deal.

Trade Recommedations: No worthwhile deals to be had. Establish an embassy with Greece and anyone else we might meet.

Invention has been learned and Gunpowder is our current learning challenge. It is now nine turns away; 50% science and -24 gpt; 1445 gold.

One library will complete soon (6 turns in Lorna). Several libraries and a university need eleven turns to complete.

No real changes since 400 AD.

Invention is a monopoly tech.

Technology Recommendations: Military Tradation is still the big goal for us. Research rate should be determined by the in-game situation.

We know Invention, which is a monopoly tech right now. Three civs (Byzantines, Germany and Greece) know Astronomy.

While we could trade Invention for Astronomy, gold and gpt with any one of these three, we have a palace build in Molly that could be for Leonardo's Workshop.

Wonder Races
  • Sistine Chapel, 600 shields
    1. Tara (7) (us), 11 turns
    2. Adrianople (7) (Byzantines)
    3. Arbela (?) (Persia)
    4. Iznik (6) (Ottomans)
    5. Berlin (12) (Dark Blue)
    6. Athens (9) (Greece)
  • Copernicus' Observatory, 400 shields
    1. Bremen (?) (Dark Blue)
    2. Thermopylae (?) (Greece)
  • Knights Templar, 300 shields
    1. Nicea (6) (Bzyantines)
    2. Ghulaman (?) (Persia)
    3. Istanbul (12) (Ottomans)
    4. Nanking (4) (China)
    5. Konigsberg (3) (Dark Blue)
    6. Newcastle (4) (Foromach)
    7. Thessalonica (?) (Greeks)

Lots of civs chasing three Great Wonders.

If we cannot build Sistine Chapel, we can switch Tara to build Leonardo's Workshop. The cost is the same. If we do build The Sistine Chapel, Molly can start on the Workshop.

Sistine's doubles the effects of Cathederals (if they are built).
Leonardo's makes upgrades cheaper by reducing the cost by 50%.

I'm not sure if we do plan to build Leonardo's Workshop. Regardless, we should not trade Invention until after the Sistine Chapel is built. That deprives the AI of building the Workshop due to a Wonder Cascade.

Trade Recommendations: No worthwhile trades at this time, but that could change depending on when The Sistine Chapel is built and by whom. We want to keep Invention to ourselves until after The Sistine Chapel is done if we plan to build Leonardo's Workshop.

War is planned rather soon, but only a limited war, not extinction.

Since this is a limited war, Military Alliances are not desired. They limit our ability to make peace and our allies could do more than we want.

No changes to the Trade Recommendations.

Top Bottom