• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

If only the Danes had won that shootout, I'd be up there..

Belgium vs England
France vs Croatia

The French has played better overall but Croatia is really looking like a typical cup winner at this point. I.e. kinda underwhelming but always enough.

Belgium vs England
France vs Croatia

Domagoj Vida apologized for the second time on Russian TV, said he made a mistake with his political chanting.
But it's too late - he already got appreciation message from Ukrainian president and now center of Kiev is decorated with Croatian flags :)

Domagoj Vida apologized for the second time on Russian TV, said he made a mistake with his political chanting.
But it's too late - he already got appreciation message from Ukrainian president and now center of Kiev is decorated with Croatian flags :)

Ah, this wonderful apolitical game!

I’m not sure whether the broadcast footage is tailored for different audiences, but the post-match shots from last night’s game seemed to me to feature rather more of Southgate and his thwarted players than the jubilant Croats. I wondered if the (Russian?) camera operators were making some sort of point.

Ah, this wonderful apolitical game!

I’m not sure whether the broadcast footage is tailored for different audiences, but the post-match shots from last night’s game seemed to me to feature rather more of Southgate and his thwarted players than the jubilant Croats. I wondered if the (Russian?) camera operators were making some sort of point.
Russian TV portrays Croatian fans rather positively - yesterday there were reports that they unfolded large banner with "Thank you, Russia!" text in Moscow. Their players were shown in the news too.
The attitude here is more like "okay, he apologized, let's move on". And I think it's not such a big deal, too.

Yay, Marla's here!

Belgium - England
Belgium: 9 - England 2
France - Croatia
France: 7 - Croatia 4​
I don't really follow how wasting time will, if you're leading, disproportionately tire out the other team more than yours. Especially since everyone's mostly standing around and not doing anything while time is being wasted.
Ah, this one's from the book of dark arts in banana-republic football. When the other team's just minutes away from a cramp (or worse) rolling around for two minutes can be very nastily effective.
Selfish point - I want Croatia to win, because Estonia beat them 3-0 last March. :p

http://hns-cff.hr/en/matches/8651974/estonia-croatia-3-0/
The team we beat only included like 5 of those guys who played yesterday, but who remembers that?
You do know that the ‘unofficial World Champions’ thing works if it's a) after the final and b) if you've beaten England?
Belgium vs England
France vs Croatia
I'm officially forgiving you for what you did to me in the last mafia game. Until we play another game, that is, but that's another thing.
Russian TV portrays Croatian fans rather positively - yesterday there were reports that they unfolded large banner with "Thank you, Russia!" text in Moscow. Their players were shown in the news too.
The attitude here is more like "okay, he apologized, let's move on". And I think it's not such a big deal, too.
So why would the coach who did the exact same thing as Vida be fired, then?

Speaking of camera operators, I've just watched the repeat of that pathetic situation when Croatia scored, every player was off the pitch… and England tried to resume playing on their own, which, even if it had been a valid rule to claim you could play with the other team off the pitch, would still have meant their players were offside.

So why would the coach who did the exact same thing as Vida be fired, then?
To somewhat mitigate PR damage, and because he is less important for the team, I guess. The story is IMO blown out of proportion by Ukraine, which tried to present drunk chanting almost as official statement of support.

If you take Vida out the Croatian defense crumbles to nothing. Not because he's amazing, just because they don't have many talented CB. Vida himself doesn't really count as a talented CB, but he's been holding his own rather well so far.
It's really amazing what the Croats managed to do with such a small pool of players.

It's really amazing what the Croats managed to do with such a small pool of players.
An interesting point that was made a few weeks ago was how, if you added the best players from the former Yugoslavia together into one team (think Croatia's midfield/forwards + Serbia's defenders + Jan Oblak + Goran Pandev + Edin Džeko, etc.) they should've been contenders for a decade now -and back in the '90s, too.

There's also Savic and Jovetic from Montenegro, and Pjanic. I had this precise discussion with my friends about a week ago as well. Something like Oblak/Kolarov-Savic-Lovren-Vrsalko/Pjanic-Modric-Rakitic/Mandzukic-Dzeko-Perisic would be one of the favorites for sure. And their subs would be terrifying.

Why would the other team be any fewer minutes away from a cramp than your own team?
Because not every team plays the same amount of extra-times and penalty shootouts. Again, it's dark arts and a lot of it is what players believe, and if there's one crowd as superstitious as gamblers it's sportsmen.

I’m also taking France and Belgium.

I think France will win the final and Belgium will get third place. Though I hope Croatia wins since my Father will receive over €100 in winnings from a bet if they do.

Belgium for third,
Croatia to hoist the Cup.

Top Bottom