The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

Anthropoid said:
Yeah, I'd love to try out this scenario. Unfortunately fate does not seem to have it in the cards today. Two dls still was getting the "PediaIcons Theater" error. Third attempt at dl was only about 50% done after 30 min, probably peaking out this time of night.

I switched from Winzip to winrar, and hopefully that will solve the previous problem with corruption in the pediaIcons owing to the slow downloads. Not sure why this would plague me. I am in Canada, but am using DSL, so it should be fairly fast I'd guess. May try downloading at an off hour and see if I have success.

In any event, my hat is off to you El Justo and crew for the Herculean effort in designing, building and (based on the length of this thread :goodjob: ) fine-tuning this scenario. Hopefully one day I'll get to win the Cold War and grind those Commie bastiches into the dust :)

I had this problem before. I managed to fix it, and not by re-dling the thing.

When you extract from the zip, you end up with a folder titled TCW First, rename this folder (to anything you want). Now go inside. You should find another folder, also called TCW. Right click and copy it. Now go back to the scenarios screen, and paste the TCW folder. lastly, you need to delete the olde folder that you have re-named. This solved my problem, I think it should solve yours too. Happy hunting. :)

Oh, and @ El Justo: School just started, and that combined with an after-school job will prevent me from playing much. My reports will become more and more infrequent. I'm telling you now so you have no misconceptions, this is not from a declining interest on my part. Thought I'd tell you that. :)

Yeah, I tried the folder renaming thing too. Mine extracted with the same folder hieararchy, but eliminating the extra layer didn't seem to solve the problem. I'm afraid the dls are getting corrupted for whatever reason, and the only option is to keep trying as El Justo suggested.

BTW, Psweet, it's me Scipio Africanus from 1BC ;) Unfortunately that handle was already taken for fanatics site so I'm going with Anthropoid.

Ah Good. It has downloaded and installed properly this time. Looks like a very interesting scenario. Will have to play it at my leisure in the near future.

El Justo, the upcoming economy in Germany and the tremendous productivity boosts after the war are called Wirtschaftswunder. Due to new machines and other things the factories were producing more stuff than ever expected. For instance the VW Käfer (Beetle) was built from 1948 to 1955 one million times (including 700 pre war built cars). The Wirtschaftswunder is not only explaineable to the Marshall plan. Here is a (too) short summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder (set a de for en for the German version). Infact the new currency, hard work, Soziale Marktwirtschaft and of course the Marshall plan lead to an econimical uprising from 1948 to about 1966 doubling the GNP from 1950 to 1960.
I concur with the colonies generally, but a single town in South America would make the life harder for the Soviets in dealing with Germany/ LL.
Basra is not totally at the sea but Umm Qasr is. So I suppose to make it at the ocean to simulate this.

Adler

June 1964

*Newsflash*

As the ceasefire is signed in Helsinki, Australian government ministers are planning the post war future of liberated Pyongyang. In the closing months of conflict with the Soviet Union, Australian and allied forces surprisingly managed to retain their control of the formerly Soviet-occupied city.

As defence planners anticipated, Soviet forces attempted a second counter-attack using mobile armoured forces. At least two T-55 equipped regiments participated in the second attack. Australian defenders were involved in vicious house-to-house fighting on the outskirts of Pyongyang. The depleted defenders managed to withstand the armoured assault, taking advantage of the unsuitability of unaccompanied armour in urban combat. Nonetheless, the Australians suffered significant losses, resulting in their M-113 equipped Light Horse regiment being rendered combat ineffective. This left a single infantry battalion to defend the city.

The defence of the city was valiantly supported by the Royal Australian Air Force, flying Canberra bombers from Pyongyang’s operational, though extremely vulnerable, airport. Low altitude close air support blunted the Soviet attack and afterwards led to chaos among the retreating columns.

With the defenders afforded some breathing space by their furious resistance to the Soviets, additional regular and reserve infantry battalions, and supporting Commando units, were airlifted into Pyongyang direct from airports across Australia. As the Soviets continued their retreat they were harassed by the air force and armoured formations of South Korea. Australian forces remained in Pyongyang to consolidate their tenuous hold on the city.

Military Intelligence reports indicated Soviet forces had withdrawn deep into occupied north China and Siberia and Pyongyang, for the first time in months was not under immediate threat.

The RAAF continued to take the fight to the Soviets with their Canberra bombers flying interdiction raids deep into Siberia. Australia’s first operational F-111 squadron also saw action at this time, assisting in the RAAF’s destruction of the trans-Siberian railway infrastructure. Flight Lieutenant Anderson of No.1 SQN had this to say about the F-111; “Our target was the trans-Siberian railway and we weren’t sure whether we’d encounter enemy MIGs or not. We flew a low-level night attack and flew nap of the earth all the way. The F-111 is capable of in excess of Mach 1 at sea level and as we approached the target we lit the burners. Our load of 2000-pounders left a hole about 300 feet across in that sucker. We never saw a single MIG and got back to base safely. This F-111 gives us what we need to take the fight right up to the Commies. What a plane!”

It is not known for certain if the destruction of the trans-Siberian railway by the RAAF led to the capitulation of the Soviet Union, but without the means of to reinforce its Eastern front it seems almost certain. Within a week of its destruction the ceasefire with the Western allies was being signed.

Peace leaves a headache for the Australian government, what to do with liberated Pyongyang?

January 1958:

Ordre de Bataille:

Army:
1 corps with 3 elite Panther
18 Leopard 1 (just upgraded resp. built)
9 105 mm
7 M 4 Calliope
Additional M 113, infantry and 2 FlaK

Luftwaffe:
12 F 104 (+ 1 Navy F 104)

Navy:
1 CVL Karel Doormann with F 104
1 CA Prinz Eugen*
2 DDG Lütjens, Mölders (C. F. Adams)
8 DD Z 1*- Z 8 (Fletcher)
6 DE Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Hipper, Brommy
15 SS U 1*- U 12, Hai, Hecht, Wilhelm Bauer (type XXI)
1 TR

Now I am finally able to go into the offensive. Since several month the Soviets fight against China in the Far East and I have just developed Leopard 1. The upgrade was costly but now I am going into the offensive since the Soviets didn´t declare war on any of my allies. So I sent a spy to Moscow, but the NKVD/ KGB was too good. So I had the war I wanted.
At first Warsaw was taken with no losses. I bombed them with 105 mm first. But Kiev, which was bombed by Calliope, costed 2 Leopard 1. But both are mine. I can now threaten Tallin, Leningrad, Moscow and Odessa.
My fleet, en route to Scapa Flow, was attacked by enemy bombers. Why the heck the Soviets knew the position? Anyway, CA Prinz Eugen was heavlied damaged, CVL Karel Doormann slightly and DDG Lütjens medium. At least one bomber was shot down by the air defense. The Soviets lose 2 T 55 to me and the French.

February:
I am repairing. No offensive actions.
Soviets lose 4 T 55 at least, one of them to the Yugoslavs. 5 are on my territory.

March:
Moscow attacked and taken without casualities. Unfortunately Mr. Dshugashvili could catch the last plane. But heavy fightings at Odessa. Over 10 (!) BTR 60. I lost a Leopard 1 and 4 M 113 but captured the city. I knew here was a strong point in the AI´s defense.
Another M 113 died because of a T 55. However 4 others were destroyed by my forces and another most probably due to Scandinavians.

More next time.

Adler

Well, I had a good game going. I was up to April 1971 when, it started hanging, and then crashed to desktop. I fired up the C3MT savegame editor, and scrolled thru the list of units and came across two different countries had that frakkin' Paramilitary Infantryman loaded up on transports. I haven't Dl'd version 1.51, but I did go through the list of units that I knew had the load and immobile flags, but I didn't catch this one. I remember a few posts back that El Justo mentioned that specific unit too. Oh well, I think I'm going to take a break from playing for a little while. Guess I'll go back to the shipyard, or aircraft plant or maybe the armory.

In regards to changing the Air Defense numbers, that is a must. I witnessed alot more Flaks, SAMs and naval ships engaging aircraft. I feel that if the numbers are just multiplied by 10 in the editor, it will be fine. I think there was a good balance while playing.

I won't push for giving the blitz option to the battleships and cruisers, or the increased bombardment strengths. I'll just save those tweaks for my game. It did however, improve the Sverdlov's usefullness.

vingrjoe said:
Well, I had a good game going. I was up to April 1971 when, it started hanging, and then crashed to desktop. I fired up the C3MT savegame editor, and scrolled thru the list of units and came across two different countries had that frakkin' Paramilitary Infantryman loaded up on transports. I haven't Dl'd version 1.51, but I did go through the list of units that I knew had the load and immobile flags, but I didn't catch this one. I remember a few posts back that El Justo mentioned that specific unit too. Oh well, I think I'm going to take a break from playing for a little while. Guess I'll go back to the shipyard, or aircraft plant or maybe the armory.

In regards to changing the Air Defense numbers, that is a must. I witnessed alot more Flaks, SAMs and naval ships engaging aircraft. I feel that if the numbers are just multiplied by 10 in the editor, it will be fine. I think there was a good balance while playing.

I won't push for giving the blitz option to the battleships and cruisers, or the increased bombardment strengths. I'll just save those tweaks for my game. It did however, improve the Sverdlov's usefullness.

Yeah, think El Justo wiped out this bug in 1.51. Usally occurs late 60's, early 70's.

As for AA, I am wondering if what you are suggesting might be TOO high. The initial flack unit in the game is supposed to be pretty weak, and is dirt cheap, so you can build a ton. I found them effective when you built a ton of them.
As for the SAM sites, more advanced AA units, and naval units, I found them pretty good as is. I don't know if they should engage a high percentage of arial units. I am thinking that if a cruiser of say, 1975 vintage, gets bombed by a bunch of F-111's, or Bears, or Badger's, if it was able to hit one in 5, I would think that would be pretty reasonable.

I know that with the current setup, I usually put a carrier in my stack of ships, and the naval planes on the carrier do a fine job of protecting the group.

There was a thread not too long ago stating that if in the editor, you assign an Air Def value of 5, say to a cruiser, it's raw number ingame is only 0.5 . I tested this out and can confirm this is true. So if you give the cruiser 50 in the editor, it will only have an AirDef of 5 ingame. The average defense strength of all the aircraft in TCW combined is like 20. So if you pit the cruiser versus the average aircraft defense (20), you'll see that the cruiser has only a 20% chance of shooting down the average aircraft. If set at 5 in the editor, it only has a 2% chance of shooting down an aircraft. Setting a cruiser at 50 (arbitrary), would give the unit a 1 in 5 shot at an attacking aircraft.

It's good to know what the problem is, and I'm glad to hear it has been fixed. :)

I'm still trying to decide on my next game. Israel? China?

BTW, Psweet, it's me Scipio Africanus from 1BC Unfortunately that handle was already taken for fanatics site so I'm going with Anthropoid.

If this place didn't have so durn many users, I might have guessed from the name. ;)

@ Bkwrm: I've been considering Brazil or Central America personally

@ everyone: I've been busy. My cuban game is going well still, I'll report more this weekend hopefully!

bkwrm79 said:
It's good to know what the problem is, and I'm glad to hear it has been fixed. :)

I'm still trying to decide on my next game. Israel? China?

China is a really tough position to defence, and really slow to build sufficient forces to defend and attack sumultaneously. Therefore a wonderful civ to try.

Hey El Justo,

I'm still continuing to enjoy the game. Just a couple of points on the Australian / NZ order of battle for you:

I achieved the Helicopter civ advance which unlocks the UH-1 and noticed Australia is unable to build this. I don't consider this a huge loss as I'm assuming we get the UH-60 with Air Cavalry. As this is only a couple of advances away it shouldn't have a huge impact on the game. But, Australia did operate the UH-1 in Vietnam and continues to use it in 2nd line roles with distinction, including this year's tsunami relief efforts in Aceh, Indonesia.

More importantly, I unlocked the Advanced Armour [?] advance which allows the building of the Leopard 1 MBT. Australia has operated the Leopard 1 (designated AS1)as its Centurion replacement since 1977. Australia continues to operate the AS1 and will do so until 2007 when the M1A1 Abrams is expected to enter service. As Australia operated the Leopard AS1 as its primary MBT for much of the period covered by TCW it would be cool if Australia could build this. Otherwise, I assume Australia operates the Centurion all the way through to 1990 which is not quite the case.

Love the Mirage III and the F-111 in particular though.

As always, just trying to provide a couple of helpful tips in case you're already planning version 1.6! What are you going to do when CIV4 is released?

psweetman1590 said:
El Justo: School just started, and that combined with an after-school job will prevent me from playing much. My reports will become more and more infrequent. I'm telling you now so you have no misconceptions, this is not from a declining interest on my part. Thought I'd tell you that. :)
hi psweetman1590.

no problems mate. my schedule has been a little tight as of late also. manage what you can as we enjoy reading your reports.

Anthropoid said:
Ah Good. It has downloaded and installed properly this time. Looks like a very interesting scenario. Will have to play it at my leisure in the near future.
that's good news Anthropoid! we look forward to your reports.

Adler17 said:
El Justo, the upcoming economy in Germany and the tremendous productivity boosts after the war are called Wirtschaftswunder. Due to new machines and other things the factories were producing more stuff than ever expected. For instance the VW Käfer (Beetle) was built from 1948 to 1955 one million times (including 700 pre war built cars). The Wirtschaftswunder is not only explaineable to the Marshall plan. Here is a (too) short summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder (set a de for en for the German version). Infact the new currency, hard work, Soziale Marktwirtschaft and of course the Marshall plan lead to an econimical uprising from 1948 to about 1966 doubling the GNP from 1950 to 1960.
I concur with the colonies generally, but a single town in South America would make the life harder for the Soviets in dealing with Germany/ LL.
Basra is not totally at the sea but Umm Qasr is. So I suppose to make it at the ocean to simulate this.

Adler
okay. thanks Adler.

maybe for the Huge versions we can add in the Dutch colonies (among others). i'd like to steer clear of it for the smallish one though simply for logistical/corruption purposes.

Aardvark Fury said:
June 1964

*Newsflash*

As the ceasefire is signed in Helsinki, Australian government ministers are planning the post war future of liberated Pyongyang. In the closing months of conflict with the Soviet Union, Australian and allied forces surprisingly managed to retain their control of the formerly Soviet-occupied city.

As defence planners anticipated, Soviet forces attempted a second counter-attack using mobile armoured forces. At least two T-55 equipped regiments participated in the second attack. Australian defenders were involved in vicious house-to-house fighting on the outskirts of Pyongyang. The depleted defenders managed to withstand the armoured assault, taking advantage of the unsuitability of unaccompanied armour in urban combat. Nonetheless, the Australians suffered significant losses, resulting in their M-113 equipped Light Horse regiment being rendered combat ineffective. This left a single infantry battalion to defend the city.

The defence of the city was valiantly supported by the Royal Australian Air Force, flying Canberra bombers from Pyongyang’s operational, though extremely vulnerable, airport. Low altitude close air support blunted the Soviet attack and afterwards led to chaos among the retreating columns.

With the defenders afforded some breathing space by their furious resistance to the Soviets, additional regular and reserve infantry battalions, and supporting Commando units, were airlifted into Pyongyang direct from airports across Australia. As the Soviets continued their retreat they were harassed by the air force and armoured formations of South Korea. Australian forces remained in Pyongyang to consolidate their tenuous hold on the city.

Military Intelligence reports indicated Soviet forces had withdrawn deep into occupied north China and Siberia and Pyongyang, for the first time in months was not under immediate threat.

The RAAF continued to take the fight to the Soviets with their Canberra bombers flying interdiction raids deep into Siberia. Australia’s first operational F-111 squadron also saw action at this time, assisting in the RAAF’s destruction of the trans-Siberian railway infrastructure. Flight Lieutenant Anderson of No.1 SQN had this to say about the F-111; “Our target was the trans-Siberian railway and we weren’t sure whether we’d encounter enemy MIGs or not. We flew a low-level night attack and flew nap of the earth all the way. The F-111 is capable of in excess of Mach 1 at sea level and as we approached the target we lit the burners. Our load of 2000-pounders left a hole about 300 feet across in that sucker. We never saw a single MIG and got back to base safely. This F-111 gives us what we need to take the fight right up to the Commies. What a plane!”

It is not known for certain if the destruction of the trans-Siberian railway by the RAAF led to the capitulation of the Soviet Union, but without the means of to reinforce its Eastern front it seems almost certain. Within a week of its destruction the ceasefire with the Western allies was being signed.

Peace leaves a headache for the Australian government, what to do with liberated Pyongyang?
ha! well written Aardvark Fury!

those f111's are very effective and have a nice range on them as well. time to build back up!

Adler17 said:
January 1958:

Ordre de Bataille:

Army:
1 corps with 3 elite Panther
18 Leopard 1 (just upgraded resp. built)
9 105 mm
7 M 4 Calliope
Additional M 113, infantry and 2 FlaK

Luftwaffe:
12 F 104 (+ 1 Navy F 104)

Navy:
1 CVL Karel Doormann with F 104
1 CA Prinz Eugen*
2 DDG Lütjens, Mölders (C. F. Adams)
8 DD Z 1*- Z 8 (Fletcher)
6 DE Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Hipper, Brommy
15 SS U 1*- U 12, Hai, Hecht, Wilhelm Bauer (type XXI)
1 TR

Now I am finally able to go into the offensive. Since several month the Soviets fight against China in the Far East and I have just developed Leopard 1. The upgrade was costly but now I am going into the offensive since the Soviets didn´t declare war on any of my allies. So I sent a spy to Moscow, but the NKVD/ KGB was too good. So I had the war I wanted.
At first Warsaw was taken with no losses. I bombed them with 105 mm first. But Kiev, which was bombed by Calliope, costed 2 Leopard 1. But both are mine. I can now threaten Tallin, Leningrad, Moscow and Odessa.
My fleet, en route to Scapa Flow, was attacked by enemy bombers. Why the heck the Soviets knew the position? Anyway, CA Prinz Eugen was heavlied damaged, CVL Karel Doormann slightly and DDG Lütjens medium. At least one bomber was shot down by the air defense. The Soviets lose 2 T 55 to me and the French.

February:
I am repairing. No offensive actions.
Soviets lose 4 T 55 at least, one of them to the Yugoslavs. 5 are on my territory.

March:
Moscow attacked and taken without casualities. Unfortunately Mr. Dshugashvili could catch the last plane. But heavy fightings at Odessa. Over 10 (!) BTR 60. I lost a Leopard 1 and 4 M 113 but captured the city. I knew here was a strong point in the AI´s defense.
Another M 113 died because of a T 55. However 4 others were destroyed by my forces and another most probably due to Scandinavians.

More next time.

Adler
Adler,

i love reading your reports! especially the OoBs.

iirc, the AI knows where all of your units are on the map; at least your sea units. as such, they'll send in the bombers when you least expect it.

vingrjoe said:

hey vingrjoe. sorry to hear it locked up on you. as you already know, that problem has been fixed for v1.51

i want to bump up the AA ground units some for the next version. i'm also thinking of raising the costs for them as well due to the increased performance.

Guess I'll go back to the shipyard, or aircraft plant or maybe the armory.
ooo...that's always good news. any ones in particular that you were thinking of?

Top Bottom