1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Controversial Game Concepts Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by holy king, Feb 25, 2010.

1. holy king

holy king Deity

which game concepts would you like to see implemented that are likely too "controversial" to ever be considered by firaxis?

2. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Other than Giant Death Robots?

Apart from Hitler, I can't really think of anything that wouldn't even be considered by Firaxis.

3. Doviello

Doviello Warlord

Hitler.

e: beaten, lol.

Also, those funny guys who mod in concentration camp improvements on WWII scenarios.

And terrorist attacks.

4. holy king

holy king Deity

religious traits?

i wish they somehow implemented abortion.

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Oh right, yeah, unique religion characteristics, forgot about them. They would be kinda neat, but I don't really wish to marginalise anyone.

How'd abortion work? Instead of a 'stop city growth' button you'd have a 'promote abortion' button?

6. holy king

holy king Deity

yeah, you could allow abortion to fight overpopulation in the late game, but it would lead to angry faces if you have the wrong religion.

7. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

I came up with the idea of "shunning" a while back. You can do this based on religion or civic or whatever other excuse you can think of. Essentially, you say "we're not going to use X", where X is a resource (or whatever). You then aren't allowed to use it. In exchange, you get a bonus in some other area, like maybe a very small culture boost. This isn't like saying that if you're Muslim you have to shun the use of pigs; any in-game religion would be allowed to do it or not do it. So there's no offending any real religions or politicians or movements or whatever.

8. Babbler

Babbler Deity

But why stop at abortion? We could also have an infanticide and euthanasia implementation.

9. holy king

holy king Deity

yeah, some religions could favour baby eating, some shun it, a practice that would give you a health benefit.

10. climat

climat King

Perhaps.. capturing and trading slaves?

11. Davor

Davor Prince

What about child labour? Get extra shields, with NO unhappy faces. Just look at all the people who buy Nike and stuff like that. I find it funny how they people pennies who make the running shoes, but will pay someone like Micheal Jordan 30 million dollars to promote it.

But why stop there, how about having kids in wars like they do in Africa. Or instead of of geing able to do it, there is a quest about a country doing this, and you have to make them stop either through diplomatic solutions and if it fails through warfare.

What about prostotution, drug use? These could effect crime rate wise, and would have to spend more money on police to keep the cities under control. More Police, less happiness, or more happiness, could be higher crime. Police could control crime, but too much police and it would make people unhappy as well. Would these be controversial enough?

How about Ethnic cleansing? Actually we already have that, when you destroy a last city or unit, but there should be a major penalty for that, with other nations, and a big happiness hit in your empire, depending on civics and religion traits.

12. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

I remember in Call to Power II Poppy/opium was a tradable ressource

13. Ikael

Ikael King

There are just too many:
    - Terrorism
    - Watter supply
    - Slavery
    - Genocide
    - Properly differenciated religions
    And a long etc

14. Gamemaster77

Gamemaster77 PC > Mac

Slavery? Don't Know about Civ4 but it wa definitly in Civ3. Usually you would have to pay one gold for your workers but if you captured an enemy worker it cost none.

15. uncle_jesse

uncle_jesse Chieftain

Those are all good ideas weather you were being sarcastic or not :D I like the idea of having crime levels and maybe having a slider to adjust how much police you put in one town. Maybe you could build a special prostitute unit that adds 1 happy but -1 health, or why not a drug dealer unit!?

16. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I'm really looking forward to a reverse mermaid feature.

17. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Simple. Inquisitors to mop up religions I do not want in my cities. They could be built only when you have Theocracy. They would cost what a missionary does and generate a slave whip type effect. After this any religion other than the religion of the inquisitor would be gone from said city.

18. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Inquisitions
    Genocide (I would love to have concentration camps to get rid of that pesky foreign culture that is scumming up my border cities)

19. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Human sacrifice could be an interesting one, akin to the Mesoamerica mod from [c3c].

20. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I'm fine with inquisitions; I am not morally comfortable with genocide, even in a game like this.