The Death of Hive Balmung

OOC: But please do go on about how Abnett is a dirty heretic. :p

OOC: I've been rather busy with various things. But I agree with your amendments. Moreover, I'm also going to continue to feed the Cadians. I think it might also be a good idea to repatriate the prisoners you have into my direct care. That's about the limit to my role, the remainder would need to be negotiated between the parties as per the agreement. If I got approached by either party, I'd be willing to take a more active role in resolving the issues. Also, due to time zones and ongoing diplo I'll be a little late.

So, do you agree with us both sending half our forces for the Crusade? Any other related information - where we're needed and so on - would also be appreciated, by PM if that'd be more prudent.

So, do you agree with us both sending half our forces for the Crusade? Any other related information - where we're needed and so on - would also be appreciated, by PM if that'd be more prudent.

We agree to this.

To: The Spiders of Necromunda

Disturbing rumors have come to my precincts from the Underhive. Among these, rumors that, either a loyalist general and his officers were brutally butchered by their men, or that a villainous traitor and his underlings were justly liquidated by their loyalist battalions.

Often, we find proof of guilt or innocence in men's actions. If, as I suspect, General Abnett was a vile traitor best left buried in the depths of the Underhive, you will submit to the command of my trusted ally, Commissar Zaytsev. In return, I will allow your units to repair and reinforce themselves with my resources.

You will not find me as lax a master as General Abnett. We will restore order to this Hive, and you will be justly rewarded. Waver in your loyalty, and the Emperor himself will not save you from my wrath.

The Emperor Protects.

We will accept your offer. But don't throw away our lives, or this commissar will be added to the heap along with the others.

OOC: The_Strategos has had to withdraw from the game. The Cathedral is now NPC.

I should manage within the 16 hours. Sorry for not doing so earlier.

That's fine. I can mod from the bottom up. I only have two order sets in so far and they're both orks.

OOC: Ok seriously, I've been holding out a long time but now I have to say this.

General Abnett? Seriously? Does he write amazing Science Fiction novels in between giving orders?

I shook my head as the Ganger Technical roared off into the maze of industrial machinery that was Balmung’s Seventh Manufactoria Sector. More orders from on low. Ugh.

They were good orders, ones with which I for the most part agreed with, at least from a tactical standpoint. All parts of the grand counteroffensive to push the Orks back out of the Underhive. Still, their source continued to make me cringe.

It was not a good time for my Machrius Sentinels. Either Lord Dermillo wants me dead, or ‘Lord’ Murthek is simply amused at my ongoing humiliation of serving underneath him, some two-bit gang boss from the sump. Given who wields the reins in this relationship, I suspect it is the latter.

I lost far too many good men in that battle. I may have my pride trampled on, but I shall never release my death grasp upon a sense of personal responsibility. My role as a Captain of the House Guard Sentinels may leave me with precious little room to work with when it comes to carrying out the orders of my... ugh, ‘superiors’, but I shall strive to serve the Lords of House Machrius loyally, just as my family has since the age when the Emperor laid foot upon the decrepit, miserable world that is my home.

And now, here we are. Barely any time to recover at all and now we have fresh orders directing us towards the refugee camps, where an Orkish Warboss has apparently set up his camp after ejecting our forces out of the Sump. Of all the places to be fighting for- I can see losing soldiers for the Manufactories and Hab Blocks, or maybe even the Algae Storage, but it just seems that lady fate is playing yet another of her cruel pranks by having this most climactic battle happen in potentially the least important piece of turf in the whole of the Hive.

I’m really beginning to regret having sworn off alcohol in my youth.

I still require orders from 3 players. I will not mod until I have them.

EDIT: Make that 2 players. das' orders arrived just as I was typing this message.

Sent. Math is hard. :p

Also trying to designate my troop locations based on their positions at the end of last turn is a bit tricky, it involves a lot of referencing. I don't think it's really necessary, but it helps to maintain the suspension of disbelief in my mind. :)

So I didn't need to stay up until 6 AM sending orders last night? Or are you just working on the unaffected areas for the update first?

I can't. Both players could potentially affect every area of the hive between them. Don't worry Iggy, I'll make sure there are bonuses for players who got the orders in on time. And for those who didn't? Next time there will be penalties.

Update 3: The hive quivers
7501105.M42 until 7750105.M42

Thought for the day: All Daemons are Falsehood. They are lies given the shape of creatures by the fell power of Chaos.

WAAAGH!
Manufactoria 3/Algae Storage 3

The victory over Dakka Splatta was inevitable. The orks couldn’t hope to hold out against the combined forces heading to smash them. Joining those already engaged were the forces of the Balmung Compact and the Inquisitor. From below, the Underalliance was closing in, promising to open up a new front that there were not enough orks to deal with.

But the Underalliance reinforcements wouldn’t arrive. As they funneled up the pathways into the Lower Hive, huge explosions ripped through them. The routes between the two manufactories were completely destroyed. Thousands of gangers and their allies were killed, though only the advance elements were caught in the blast. Murthek himself was badly injured in the blast, but quick bionic replacements allowed him to rejoin his men for their next engagement.

House Varangian pulled many of its troops back, publicly to rest them and allow the Balmung Compact and Mordian forces to take their place, but in reality more to enforce the ceasefire in the Upper Hive. Sensing the right moment to attack, Dakka Splatta’s Boyz made an attack on western flank, just as the first advance elements of the replacements arrived. Dakka Splatta attacked with all of his might, trying to punch through. His orks took horrendous losses, but the few survivors managed to break through to Algae Storage 3.

The attack made no sense, even for an ork. The Imperial commanders, joined by local forces in the algae vats and more Mordian reinforcements who had not yet engaged the enemy closed in on the few survivors, they realized with horror the reason for his flight.

The forces who moved in to destroy Dakka Splatta’s rearguard were caught in an explosion of epic proportions. The Mechanicus Working Group was shattered, and the other allies took terrible casualties. The Underalliance would thank the Emperor that they were only caught in the smaller explosions that severed them from the battle above.

Dakka Spatta’s few remaining forces were surrounded and destroyed by Cathedral, Compact, and Mordian troops, almost to an ork. The few who survived scattered, to either be purified by fire-sweep teams or to skip down the hive shell to Emperor knows what. This has been a major blow for the Imperium in terms of men and materiel lost, but the annihilation of Dakka Splatta’s boyz and the newly born orks reduces the number of orks in the hive by 1/5, which could be crippling for the orks in the long run. The Imperium is used to costly victories and the crusaders are celebrating (or at least, the Mordians and Compact are) but did this one cost too much?

Outcome: The path between Manufactoria 7 and Manufactoria 3 has been destroyed. Only the Mechanicus Working Group can fix this. Manufactoria 3 is now known as Wasteland 14 and is worth $5. Manufactoria 4 suffers $5 in damage, Algae Storage 3 suffers 2F in damage, Manufactoria 7 suffers $5 in damage. A hive quake has rippled through the area beneath Spire Secundus, causing random damage to several territories controlled by the Cadians, Inquisitor, and House Varangian. Dakka Splatta’s faction has been defeated. Hunter may rejoin as an NPC, which can be Ork or Imperial, if he chooses to do so. All orks in the territory and owned by Dakka Splatta have been purged. Dakka Splatta spent all of his $ and no food remains.

The Underalliance:
Murthek's Marauders (Gangers): .5-0-.5
Murthek's Warboars (Gangers): .8-.4-.4
Penitents (Gangers): .5-.5-0
Illuminants (Gangers): 1-0-1
Thornskulls (Gangers): .4-0-.4
3rd Underalliance Division (Gangers): .5-0-.5
Machrius Lancers (House Guard Regiment): .8-.4-.4
Machrius Sentries (House Guard Regiment): .6-0-.6
Road Hogs (Technicals): .7-.3-.4

House Varangian:
Allied House Guards: .8-.4-.4
2nd Balmung Fusiliers (PDF Infantry): .8-.5-.3
56th Balmung Irregulars (Conscripts): .7-.4-.3

The Cathedral:
Maturus’ Banner [1 PDF Infantry Division]: 1-.5-.5
Felicitas’ Banner [PDF Infantry Division]: .7-.3-.4
Attalus’ Mobile Banner [ Technicals]: .6-.3-.3
Pothinus’ Mobile Banner [ Technicals]: .6-.2-.4

The Order of the Emporer’s Tears:
Adeptus Sororitas Battle Group Alpha: .7-.4-.3
1st Frateris Militia Group (Conscripts): .4-.2-.2
2nd Frateris Militia Group (Conscripts): .4-.3-.1

Mechanicus Working Group Sigma Delta Epsilon:
1st Skittari: .2-0-.2
2nd Skittari: .2-.1-.1 (folded into 1st Skittari)
3rd Skittari: .3-.3-0
Mechanicus Armoured Regiment: .2-.1-.1
Battle Servitor Group Beta: .1-.1-0

The Inquisitor:
26th Mordian Iron Guard (Necromundan Spiders Regiment): 1-.1-.9
34th Mordian Iron Guard (Necromundan Spiders Regiment): .9-.4-.5
56th Mordian Armoured Iron Guard (Imperial Guard Armoured Regiment): 1-.3-.7
Mordian 278th Armoured (Imperial Guard Armoured Regiment): .9-0-.9

Balmung Compact:
3rd House Regiment: .8-.2-.6
4th House Regiment: .8-.2-.6
7th Conscript Corps: 1-.5-.5
8th Conscript Corps: 1-.2-.8

Dakka Splatta:
All slain

(OOC: The Imperials benefited from the sisters hospitalier, except for the Underalliance, who never met up with the sisters. The Orks did not survive long enough to benefit from Dok Bok’s painboyz. Hunter used a LOT of explosives.)

Refugee Camp 4/Refugee Camp 2/Manufactoria 6
The Big Bad Ork Bad decided to capitalize on their success against the Underallaince by returning to the sump to claim refugee camp 4. In doing so, they managed to remove the last organized human presence from the Sump, but they also allowed the enraged Murthek to muster his forces and attack Refugee Camp 2. Murthek arrived just as the orks were returning from the Sump. The orks attacked in only one direction: Manufactoria 6. Murthek swept in from behind and into Refugee Camp 2. There they tied up the orks while the fastest Underalliance units continued on to strike all along the ork flank.

The gangers had the advantage of the terrain. The strength of the house guard and the support of technicals allowed them to do unexpected damage to the orks. The technical even managed to damage the heavy armour of the orks, due to the terrain that favoured them. In general, it was a repeat of the scene in the sump in the previous six months. The orks look like they have the power to break through soon though, especially without the other threats that worry the Underalliance.

Outcome: Refugee Camp 4 captured, Refugee Camp 2 and Manufactoria 6 contested. Refugee Camp 2 suffers 2M in damage, Manufactoria 6 suffers $5 in damage.

The Underalliance:
Murthek's Marauders (Gangers): .5-.3-.2
Murthek's Warboars (Gangers): .4-.2-.2
Illuminants (Gangers): 1-.4-.6
Thornskulls (Gangers): .4-.2-.2
3rd Underalliance Division (Gangers): .5-.2-.3
Machrius Lancers (House Guard Regiment): .4-.2-.2
Machrius Sentries (House Guard Regiment): .6-.2-.4
Road Hogs (Technicals): .4-.3-.1

Big Bad Ork Band:
Bork’s Bruisers (Boyz): .7-.4-.3
Da Banda Boyz (Boyz): .3-.2-.1
Da Rushin’ Boyz (Nobz):.8-.3-.5
Gorkin’ Good Boyz (Nobz): .8-.3-.5
Goff Rockerz Noisemob (Nobz): .7-.2-.5
Da Big Guns (‘Eavy Armour): .5-.1-.4
Da Bigerer Gunz (‘Eavy Armour): .8-.3-.5

Into the Mouth of Madness
Manufactoria 8
The Arbitrator had a very difficult choice to face. The Spiders, in desperate need of resupply and with maybe a month’s left of ammunition, offered an incredible opportunity, but was separated from the Arbitrator’s forces by orks and presumed heretics. The Spiders needed to be relieved now, it was feared the orks would mount an attack soon, and the heretics were obviously planning something that needed to be stopped now.

The Arbitrator made the decision to strike the Brotherhood of Iron along with the Spiders. What the two armies found chilled even the hardened Necromundans to the bone. They found the remains of the Skulls, and all of their hangers on, sacrificed in unspeakable ways decorating the Manufactoria. The machines themselves had been corrupted. Machines of war emerged from the forges powered by the souls of the dead. They screamed for mercy as the loyalist soldiers approached.

Resistance was fierce but scattered at first. The reorganized Spiders made contact with the Glorinth Tactical units in the northwest corner of the territory, just in time to get the supply lifeline going. It became clear though that the bulk of Brotherhood forces were in the heart of the territory, doing something that could not end well. The battle began in earnest soon after. Daemonic energies lashed out and the Brotherhood warriors, much less numerous than expected, but twisted into powerful new shapes with horrifying powers, struck back against the loyalists.

A single unit had been left in Hab Block 3. as a rearguard to stop the Orks. The Motha Trukkas flooded into Hab Block 3. The Arbitrator knew that his forces would be cut off Manufactoria 8, but after seeing the horrors there, he knew that he had no choice: he had to stop the ritual now, or the entire hive might suffer. This decision was reinforced by the Spiders who, only now just beginning to receive new supplies, were being pushed out of their territory by Grimdurk. Saving the hive could also save the Spiders from destruction. The Arbitrator prayed to the Emperor that they might be able to break free in the coming months, after they overcame the evil here.

The Loyalists were outnumbered, but desperate, and closing in from all sides. They also had top-notch military training, which few of the remaining brotherhood soldiers had. It would have been easy to route the Brotherhood, had they been normal men. Instead, their fanaticism and repeated assaults by chaos energies did terrifying damage to the loyalists.

In a desperate bid to stop the cultists, a team of Glorinth Tactical and Necromundan veterans made a surgical strike on the believed headquarters of the Brotherhood in this region. No none knows what happened, but it is presumed they succeeded, as a massive backlash struck the entire Manufactoria, killing man and mutant alike. A second hivequake wracked the entire hive, causing ripple effects all the way to the top of Spire Tertias. But despite the damage, the loyalists had won. A costly victory, but not stopping the plans of the Brotherhood would have been far, far worse. The blast hit the brotherhood worse than the loyalists. The surviving cultists and mutants fled in all directions, losing cohesion and being hunted down by man and ork throughout the underhive.

Outcome: The Arbitrator captures Manufactoria 8. It suffers $15 and 5M in damage. The black causes Water Storage 1 to lose 2F, Hab Block 3 to lose $1 and 2M, Hab Block 4 to lose $2 and 2M. The hivequake causes rippling damage throughout the hive above and rendering spire tertias unstable, which has damaged the territories of the Arbitrator, the Balmung Compact, the Inquisitor, and House Chaku. The two quakes together in this update have compromised the stability of the hive. Half of the Spiders’ remaining resources have been added to the Arbitrator, including some leftovers from the aid given to the Spiders.

The Spiders:
1st Necromundan Spiders: 1-.8-.2
2nd Necromundan Spiders: 1-.4-.6
4th Necromundan Spiders: 1-.5-.5
6th Necromundan Spiders: 1-.4-.6

The Arbitrator:
1923rd Hydraphur (Imperial Guard Division/reinforcing): 1-.6-.4
1122nd Hydraphur (Imperial Guard Division/reinforcing): 1-.5-.5
21st Glorinth Tactical (Necromundan Spiders Regiment/reinforcing): 1-.3-.7
22nd Glorinth Tactical (Necromundan Spiders Regiment/reinforcing): 1-.7-.3
203rd Hydraphur ‘Lancers’ (Imperial Guard Mechanized Division/reinforcing): 1-.3-.7

The Brotherhood of Iron:
Brotherhood Infantry: 1-.8-.2 (scattered)
Mutant Packs: 3-2.2-.8 (scattered)
Daemonic Armour (Light): 2-1.8-.2 (scattered)
Cultist Rabble: 3-2.6-.4 (scattered)

(OOC: Commissar Zaytsev took control later in the turn, after the two linked up. The Spiders, due to the situation in their home region, did their own reorganization as needed. The Brotherhood of Iron has sacrificed most of its manpower and some of its units over the last two turns.)

Hab Block 4
While the bulk of the Spiders were trying to push through to meet the Arbitrator, those left behind gathered what little they had left and dug in against the Orks around them. Luckily for them, only one of the three orks attacked. Unfortunately, they didn’t have the firepower left to fight them.

The Spiders led Grimmdurk’s boyz into carefully prepared traps and ambushes, but with so many heavy weapons and vehicles lost without replacements, the Spiders were basically down to roasting their lasgun chargepacks in the fire to recharge them, with no heavy weapons left.

The Spiders beat a fighting withdrawal to the edge of Manufactoria 8. They eventually withdrew entirely, leaving Grimmdurk to continue his rampage into the territory of the WLF.

Outcome: Grimmdurk captures Hab Block 4. It suffers $1 and 1M in damage in top of the quake/blast damage. The Spiders are without territory and are now entirely at the mercy of the Arbitrator. They join his force, but are unruly may act on their own.

Grimmdurk:
Da 'Eadbangaz (Boyz): 1-0-1
Biggum’s big boyz (Boyz): .7-.2-.5
Deathskull Deadeyes (Boyz): .7-.1-.6
Da Red an Blue (Boyz): .8-.2-.6
More Dakka (Boyz): .9-.1-.8
Da Blue Boyz (Boyz) : .8-.2-.6
Grimmdurk’s Grimmob(Nobz): 1-0-1
Da Biggest Gunz (Nobz) : .9-0-.9
MOAR DAKKA(Nobz): 1-.1-.9
Looty Goodness (‘Eavy Armour) : .8-0-.8

The Spiders:
3rd Necromundan Spiders(reinforcing): .8-.5-.3
5th Necromundan Spiders(reinforcing): .8-.4-.4
7th Necromundan Spiders(reinforcing): .8-.4-.4

Hab Block 2 and 3
The Imperial Suns knew that they couldn’t hold back the Motha Trukkas. But they tried anyways. They would be the speed bump that would keep the Trukkas from ravaging all of the Arbitrator’s territory. The Suns did their best to slow the orks down, but while they fought admirably, they weren’t able to hold the orks back. The trukkas stormed past them and into the Lower Hive. The surviving Suns gathered in Manufactoria 2, along with reinforcements from the Lower Markets. The ork’s successes had led to their overextension and disarray, allowing the Arbitrator’s tanks to stop them death in a few solid volleys.

Outcome: The Bad Motha Trukkas capture Hab Blocks 2 and 3. Hab Block 2 and 3 each suffer $1 and 1M in damage.

Bad Motha Trukkas:
Boyz: .9-0-.9
More Boyz: .8-.1-.7
Lots More Boyz: .8-0-.8
Xtra Boyz: 1-.2-.8
Grotchukka’s Trukka Mob (Kult of Speed): .7-0-.7
Crimjaw’s Trukka Mob (Kult of Speed): .9-0-.9
Da Flyin’ Orkses (Kult of Speed): .9-.1-.8
Krogak’s Trukka Mob (Kult of Speed): .8-.2-.6

The Arbitrator:
243rd Ultima Macharian ‘Imperial Suns’ (Imperial Guard Division/reinforcing): 1-.8-.2
93rd Terac IV ‘Justiciars’ (Imperial Guard Division/reinforcing/reinforcements): 1-.1-.9
101st Ultima Macharian Armored (Imperial Guard Armored Regiment/reinforcing/reinforcements): 1

Wasteland 1
The Balmung Compact seized the opportunity to raid the Trukkas as they vacated the wasteland. The raid was a complete success. Only fears that they would overextend themselves kept the Compact gangers from attempting to hold the wasteland. Balmung Compact gains $5, 1M, and 1F.

Water Storage 1
Dok Bok continued his advance as well, this time against another small faction. The scene in the WLF compound was similar to that found in Brotherhood territory. However, it was not nearly as terrible. The WLF it appears, didn’t begin as heretics, but merely as traitors. Only once they had realized the Brotherhood offered the only protection from loyalists and orks did they convert to the ruinous powers.

The Painmod encountered the same dark energies and twisted creatures, but not nearly in the same number as the Arbitrator. Without the armoured support, numbers, or sheer deamonic force of the Brotherhood, the WLF were overwhelmed. An attack from the north by Grimmdurk sealed the fate of the WLF.

Outcome: Dok Bok captures Water Storage 1. It suffers 2F in damage. The WLF have been completely destroyed. Damage from their daemonic energies was simultaneous with and is included in the second hivequake.

Painmob:
Da Boyz: .7-.4-.3
Da ‘Ab Bloc Boyz: 1-.3-.7
Da Extra Boyz: .8-.3-.5
Cy-nobz: 1-.2-.8
Cyerer-nobz: .9-.2-.7
Dok’s Dreadmob (‘Eavy Armour): .7-.2-.5

Grimmdurk:
Da 'Eadbangaz (Boyz): 1-.2-.8
More Dakka (Boyz): .8-.2-.6
Grimmdurk’s Grimmob(Nobz): 1-0-1
MOAR DAKKA(Nobz): .9-.1-.8
Looty Goodness (‘Eavy Armour) : .8-0-.8

WLF:
Freemen (Conscripts): 1-1-0
Mutants: 1-1-0
Cultists: 1-1-0
Free Armoured Cavalry (Technicals): .8-.8-0

(OOC: Both Ork groups benefited from Dok Bok)

On the Homefront
So far, the Balmung Compact and the Cadians have kept to the terms of the ceasefire. The Balmung Compact is now surviving off of food from Houses Varangian and Chaku, while the Cadians rely on handouts from the Inquisitor. Mordian troops have bolstered the Cadian lines to prevent future incidents, while a large Varangian police force stands on guard at the edge of Varangian territory to step in if fighting resumes. Meanwhile, the machinations between the leaders of the Compact; Melchoir Trent, Alarick Horn, and others, continue behind the scenes. The Mordians have used the opportunity to seize the very tip of the spire and are even now ripping the gilt off the walls to fuel the war effort.

The Underalliance is now almost completely out of war materiel. As the only imperial force of any size in the Underhive, this may be a do or die moment for not only the Underalliance, but the entire hive. They will need to secure more supplies if they are to have any hope of surviving the force ork warbands that surround them.

The Cathedral has reorganized its crusading forces. Dakka Splatta’s final play so disorganized the Cathedral and the allied crusaders that is has taken this long to sort themselves out for the next part of the crusade: into the crypts. Judging from the battle in Manufactoria 8, this looks to be a hard fight, but the Cathedral’s warriors have been whipped into fervor.

The Mechanicus Working Group’s spirits have been crushed. The loss of so many Skittari and skilled workers has sapped the vigor of the tech-priests. They are a shadow of their former selves. They no longer could as being on crusade and cannot reap the benefits of being on crusade again.

The Spiders have now joined the Arbitrator and are at his mercy. The integration into the Arbitrator’s forces hasn’t gone smoothly. The Spiders are eager to replace their old commissars with new ones. Still, the efforts of the Arbitrator to dilute the Spiders with local gangers and other measures are having an effect. Only time will tell how much of one. The Spiders may act independently, but considering the current crisis, will co-operate fully as needed to survive the encirclement

Diplomacy

To: Any loyal Imperial servant, especially the Underalliance and the Arbitrator

We reiterate our offer! We are in desperate need of these goods! We will offer very, very good prices to those who will give us what we need. We have a preponderance of food to sell. Particularly, we need special manufactured goods and fuels to maintain our grow houses and other enterprises.(OOC: $30 from factions who control or have previously controlled a Warehouse district and $60 from factions who control or have controlled Manufactoria.)

To: Any Imperial Force

We have an oversupply of food, but an undersupply of people to harvest it all. We are interested in exchanging Food for Manpower on a 1 to 1 basis.

Notes:
Please let me know if I made any mistakes.

We need new players. Due to Strategos’ retiring from the game, Hunter’s elimination, and capt_lightning’s complete disappearance, we are done to 5 players, only one of them orks. Guys? Anybody wanna play? Know anybody who wants to play? Great factions available like Grimdurk’s Orks, House Varangians, the Cadians, the Cathedral, the Motha Trukkas, and Dok Bok

Please people, give me details of what forces you are using for each attack, what resources you’re devoting to each specific plan, and please figure out what your income is and what your final resources are after upkeep and other expenses. Many of you do this, but several of you don’t. Your orders are less likely to succeed if I don’t have specific, or I will send units you didn’t intend, or any number of things. Doing your numbers yourselves saves me a lot of time and frustration.

Map:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Top Bottom