The Deity Challenge Line-up #25 - Venice's Fool

Very easy game due to start. AI diplomacy was extremely confusing. Got bored of trying for time victory around turn 300, so just finished it quickly from there. I can't imagine 200 more turns of clicking next turn with occasional rush buying. With blitz Xcoms (Alhambra + Brandenburg gate promoted) that can attack the same turn as the drop. Built most wonders, and was culture dominant on every civs for the conquest spree, with no resistance time and no population loss, which was a huge drain on happiness until I rush buy happiness. I went autocracy but without the possibility of annex, the courthouse happiness wasn't possible so the total happiness cap wasn't as high as I expected. Maximum happiness was 225 :lol: when I still have the 4 city core empire (3 puppet CS close to Venice). It was the highest I've ever seen. Venice has so many wonders and was producing 1001 cpt. 69 pop at the end. 44 SP in total.

Another thing to note was with culture dominant civ's allied CS, I can coup with 80% with a rank 3 spy even while being at war, since it counts as 2 ranks higher.

Spoiler :

This should complete all of the DCL for me.

Turn 277 Dom V

I haven't played for a long time so I seen this pop up recently on the board again so I decided to play it for fun and to see how easy it is?

I played it pretty safe and slow but I could see how players can win this much faster with ease. I gave the Shaka's a little too much credit and I could of used my air force to win pre 250. I was actually going to wait for x-coms but it was going to take much longer so I just used some nukes and the bombers to take the last 2 Caps.

Nothing special I went Full Trad, Comm, Ratio, Patronage, and 6 into Autocracy.

I sent two MoVs to Kabul and one to Ife. I didn't grow very fast and I took DF, Tithe, Rel Com, Holy War, and Rel Texts. After all that I decided to Faith Buy about 12 Archers and upgraded them to X-Bows and took Regular Korea's Capital and got his Expo in a Peace Deal. I decided to wait for Artillery to press into Red Shaka and I probably could of started earlier but I was in no hurry.

I didn't Wonder Whore too much but I did get my share. I basically just kept taking cities slowly across the map and had to gift about 10 cities to avoid unhappy instead of razing them. Fun game but I didn't focus very hard. I barely had any trade routes the whole game and I was still pulling over 400gpt. I think the most I had at one time was 7 with only one to the capital for food which was not needed. I only built one work boat as well lol. I guess I was too busy building units and other things.

Spoiler :

Turn 265 Domination Victory -- CAPITAL SNIPING IS FOR PANSIES LIKE
Spoiler :
SHAKA AND KOREA.
VENICE CONQUERS ALL IN ITS PATH.

Spoiler :

I'm playing this one now, it'll probably be my first deity win. I'm on turn 200-something, close to 300. I'm still not in first place in science; maybe I should have gone Order (like everybody else) for the bonus from factories. I should pass everybody else up soon when I build Hubble. I also got way too many engineers and that hurt my scientist production.

This is the strangest game I've ever played.
Lots of AI cities with no names, and I can't send a trade route to them because of it.
Spoiler :
And Shaka popping up and saying "Shaka has become a nuisance..." and I don't know which Shaka he's talking about. :rolleyes:

I captured one of Korea's big cities that had oil, and also Seoul and another 1-pop city that had potential. [I don't think mentioning Korea is a spoiler at this point] He had the biggest military at the time, but I took him down with subs, battleships, and GW bombers (most of which had Bombardment II and Repair) and finally captured with a Foreign Legion. Now those are real bombers, and my land is covered with infantries and machine guns, and Venice Bay is full of destroyers. But according to the demographics two of the AI's (you know who) have much larger militaries than me. I'm not sure how because I have the biggest population by far, and i'm way over my unit limit.

Everybody hates me because they say I broke my promise not to declare war on Korea. I had a couple of units in my territory on a shared border, and one frigate happened to pass by a different Korean city on its way across the sea and Sejong challenged me so I said I was just passing through (which was true.) How long does that last, for the rest of the game? It was *many* turns later when I declared war.

I built the Great Wall and then teched all around Dynamite. That worked really well for taking out Korea, he just threw all his units into my meat grinder, but eventually I needed to upgrade my triplanes and GWB's more than I needed marines.

The biggest mistake I've made is not parking pikes (I picked up way too many pikes from a CS that I bought) on all the little 1 and 2-tile islands just off the northeast coast to shoo the settlers away. There's a AI city on all but one, and a confused settler on that one because it's too close to found another city.

Turn 318 and I'm finally at the top of the scoreboard, and have a nice tech lead. I have 4 capitals (including my own), and Shaka has 3, and one other AI still has his capital.

Spoiler :
I paid White Shaka (what color scheme is that, Portugal?) to declare war on red Shaka (Poland?), and when he had captured Red's last city I denounced him. Next turn I declared war and liberated Red. Now I have someone I can give excess cities to if I run out of happiness. I captured Bulawayo and I don't remember the other capital. Captured a few other cities (burned one) and liberated Mbanza Kongo (sp?). There aren't many CS's left on the map for me to trade with; I bought 3 and the rest have been captured -- I'm liberating them rather than puppeting them.
I ran out of aluminum, so I stole all of Korea's with a great general. That plus what I got from Mbanza Kongo should hold me over until I tech to recycling centers.

I just researched Stealth, so it might be over soon. Shaka has a bigger military than everybody else combined. I have nukes, stealth, lots of missile cruisers, modern armor, and will have XCOM's soon (nobody else has any of those things, but might be getting close to nukes). I think I might bribe him declare war on the other superpower (who's beating up on Korea right now) and then DoW, leaving him in 3 front war plus there's an extremely-well-armed CS right on his border (not sure if that counts as a 4th front or not)

I won on turn 340. :p I could have won a little earlier, but I waited for 2 capitals that I stole from Shaka to get back to almost full strength before I declared war on the last civ and sniped his capital. I didn't have any XCOM's with blitz promotions, so I couldn't take it in one turn. Didn't want him stealing one of my recently captured cities on his turn.

I planned on using 2 atomic bombs and then flying in 6 XCOM's. When the first A-bomb lit up the sky I could see that he had 9 aircraft stationed at another nearby city, so I used my 2nd nuke on it instead. (If I was smart I would've had a 3rd nuke, JIC) I still captured the capital the next turn, even tho' it wasn't beat down as far as I'd like and also I could only fly in 4 XCOM's.

This was fun. Didn't get the Flawless Strategy achievement; I guess this game counted as having mods. :D Will any of the Deity Challenge games work? I understand this one was kind of "special".

Top Bottom