The Disappearance of Ed Beach

demidyad

Warlord
https://twitter.com/EdBeach23

Beach would consistenly be tweeting all sorts of things every day or two right up until the ill-fated livestream, at which point it was complete radio silence from him for two weeks, only broken by retweeting a few things about the PAX panel, which he then did not make an appearance at.... I just hope he's ok and the marketing suits went easy on him :blush:

Beach would consistenly be tweeting all sorts of things every day or two right up until the ill-fated livestream, at which point it was complete radio silence from him for two weeks, only broken by retweeting a few things about the PAX panel, which he then did not make an appearance at.... I just hope he's ok and the marketing suits went easy on him :blush:

What happened at the ill-fated livestream that would upset marketing?

What happened at the ill-fated livestream that would upset marketing?
He inadvertedly showed all leaders of civ6.

Which is something makes most people laugh. Hard to know if he got blamed hard for it without insider knowledge. I would find that truly moronic and will happily call the persons responsible a bunch of idiots if that is the case. Its possible after all. Some people in the working world dislike upsets of their grandiose plans...

Might simply just be a false alarm anyway.

IMO, it wasn't really Ed's fault. Unless he was told that the Civilopedia would have all those unrevealed leaders in it, which seems unlikely. The build that was being shown to us should never have had all that Civilopedia info.

He inadvertedly showed all leaders of civ6.

Which is something makes most people laugh. Hard to know if he got blamed hard for it without insider knowledge.

I believe it was intentional. He revealed just the names of the leaders, not entire civs. That was mostly known already. It was a teaser. And teasers are good for marketing.

Such gameplays are meant to reveal something new. I think that is the goal of making those gameplays, to show some new stuff, to reveal something.

Furthermore, it is simply unbelievable that he wouldn't know about it. He was aware of it. Otherwise, he would not have scrolled down the leaders' list to the very bottom before he closed down the window to reveal even more additional leaders' names. But he did that intentionally (that quick mouse move down and then close).

So I don't think he disappeared because of that.

Darko82 please stop stating it as fact. It's your opinion, one with witch I completely disagree.

Now with that out of the way, I'm sure 2k marketing were the guys who were upset, not Firaxis.

IMO, it wasn't really Ed's fault. Unless he was told that the Civilopedia would have all those unrevealed leaders in it, which seems unlikely. The build that was being shown to us should never have had all that Civilopedia info.

In the livestream, Ed did say that they were playing a build so new that even he had not seen all the changes yet. This would seem to support your idea. He may have genuinely not known that the leader info had been added to the build. On the other hand, it was his idea to open the civilopedia in the first place to show Germany's agenda. So he must have known that at least Germany's info was available.

Darko82 please stop stating it as fact. It's your opinion, one with witch I completely disagree.

Now with that out of the way, I'm sure 2k marketing were the guys who were upset, not Firaxis.

I said I believe so. I didn't say it is a fact. And I believe that Ed wanted to show this. I don't know why would they be upset? It does not break anything. We got just the names.

And he knew the agenda was there because he wanted to reveal it. That is why he entered there. So he knew what was there.

I said I believe so. I didn't say it is a fact. And I believe that Ed wanted to show this. I don't know why would they be upset? It does not break anything. We got just the names.

I agree, it really isn't that big of a deal. You'd be surprised how carefully they market this stuff though so I would guess there were some at 2k that were upset.

Heck, the guys here had already figured out most of it from a blurry poster.

Free Ed Beach!!!

In all seriousness, I also agree that it looked to be intentional. Good points Darko82.

The most likely explanation is that he is simply too busy to post on twitter or go to PAX. He is the lead designer after all and we are only 6 weeks away from the release date. Taking into account time for QA testing, the deadline for finishing the game may only be 3 weeks away. That is not a lot of time.

Calm down people.
Ed is probably working 24/7 to get the game ready for release on oktober 21th.

(unless he found El Dorado)

I believe it was intentional. He revealed just the names of the leaders, not entire civs. That was mostly known already. It was a teaser. And teasers are good for marketing.

Such gameplays are meant to reveal something new. I think that is the goal of making those gameplays, to show some new stuff, to reveal something.

Furthermore, it is simply unbelievable that he wouldn't know about it. He was aware of it. Otherwise, he would not have scrolled down the leaders' list to the very bottom before he closed down the window to reveal even more additional leaders' names. But he did that intentionally (that quick mouse move down and then close).

So I don't think he disappeared because of that.

I don't know about his "disappearance", but if it was intentional then that was some damned good acting they did with the "oh crap" faces afterward. And the way they just trailed off mid-sentence after closing the Civilopedia and looked all awkward.

Well, I googled Ed Beach and it came up with this picture:

Spoiler :

It seems after the stream, things got nasty with 2K (in fact an organisation used for money laundering for organised crime). He snitched on them and joined witness protection. He is now living under the guise of Ed Westwick, a jobbing actor who regularly enjoys strolling along Venice beach.

Yeah, the poor bastard is just crazy busy. This is crunch time. I just wish we could send him a beer.

Top Bottom