The Disappearance of Ed Beach

I'm honestly not too worried. Ed is the Lead Designer of Civilization VI. 2K / Firaxis aren't going to do anything to him. Sure, the marketing teams might be a little mad about the accidental release of every leaders name during the Germany live-stream but they probably knew it was only a matter of time considering the community had already figured out 90% of the leader names and civilizations from the blurry bingo board that got leaked ages ago.

Though I do wish we could send Ed and Firaxis cookies and beer and try to bribe the Rome First Look video out of them since they seem to be trolling or holding it back for some reason.

I don't know about his "disappearance", but if it was intentional then that was some damned good acting they did with the "oh crap" faces afterward. And the way they just trailed off mid-sentence after closing the Civilopedia and looked all awkward.

Well, I did not notice anything like that. I think I can read body language pretty well.

"Can we reveal it now? Why not". He smiled. Then, before he closed the window, he scrolled the leaders names further. Afterwards, he nodded his head and showed happiness to the other guy, in fact - something like "yes, we did it, and he nodded".

Anyways, all I am saying is he's just busy. His disappearance has nothing to do with it.

Let's not indulge darko82 with another argument about whether the leak was intentional or not. That's not really what I intended this thread to be about. The simple fact is Ed Beach was constantly making casual tweets about everyday things until the livestream and since that day has not tweeted anything except a few strictly marketing-related retweets in the past couple of days. It can't be a coincidence to go from lots of tweets to zero tweets overnight, on the same day as the livestream. I think they might have put a 'gag order' on Beach to prevent any further slipups. I'm just hoping it's no more than that!

Let's not indulge darko82 with another argument about whether the leak was intentional or not. That's not really what I intended this thread to be about. The simple fact is Ed Beach was constantly making casual tweets about everyday things until the livestream and since that day has not tweeted anything except a few strictly marketing-related retweets in the past couple of days. It can't be a coincidence to go from lots of tweets to zero tweets overnight, on the same day as the livestream. I think they might have put a 'gag order' on Beach to prevent any further slipups. I'm just hoping it's no more than that!

You can't really censor your own thread, can you? :confused:

I don't think Darko82 said anything bizarre. He merely stated that it seemed to be intentional and the most likely and reasonable reason for Ed Beach going silent is the time crunch. The game will not go gold on October 21st. It will go gold significantly before that. Therefore, there isn't much time at all so he'll have his nose to the grindstone.

I don't think his disappearance is due to the "error", but I also think it was legitimately an error based on his body language and the way they froze up mid-speech when closing it :p

Most likely it is due to the last-minute rush to get the AI working right and other misc. adjustments. The last few builds did not show a very intelligent AI when it came to things like trading and diplomacy.

Though I do wish we could send Ed and Firaxis cookies and beer and try to bribe the Rome First Look video out of them since they seem to be trolling or holding it back for some reason.

I think they are holding back on releasing Rome's First Look video because Rome has the coolest uniques in the game.

No I can't censor my own thread, but I can ask nicely.

No doubt the entire Civ team is flatout busy at the moment but Ed always made tweets before and I think it's unlikely that the workload increased so much overnight that he went from making casual jokes with friends and commenting on the Olympics, to not making a single tweet for two weeks - and that the workload just so happened to ramp up so dramatically on the exact date of the livestream.

It's not like we've gradually heard less and less of him; he was constantly in our faces for weeks and then dropped off the face of the planet.

I don't think his disappearance is due to the "error", but I also think it was legitimately an error based on his body language and the way they froze up mid-speech when closing it :p

That froze up actually concerned what he did just before closing the window; namely, he purposely scrolled down to the very bottom to show the rest of the names, then he had a second thought, looked at the other guy, nodded and showed happiness.

No I can't censor my own thread, but I can ask nicely.

It does conern your point because you claim that he disappeared because of it. And in fact, it doesn't seem to be the case according to what I say. But ok, I think I said everything. Believe what you wish.

Vacation? Some people are known to have them... in August no less.

Demidyad,

Ed retweeted a tweet just yesterday.
So we know he did not do a Sean Bean.
All conspiracy attempts have failed on this tread.

Vacation? Some people are known to have them... in August no less.

I bet we can rule that out. I'm guessing these guys are working tons of hours to get this out the door in playable shape. That's likely why they were scratched from the Panel. Too much work to get done, with time running out. 46 days minus when they need to freeze the release code.

Demidyad,

Ed retweeted a tweet just yesterday.
So we know he did not do a Sean Bean.
All conspiracy attempts have failed on this tread.
that means were not trying hard enough damnit, I purpose something on the Alex Jones level crazy! (thats over 9000) something like:

the Space alien executives have taken Ed beach hostage for attempting to leak their Illuminati conspiracy over twitch in the guise of a video game started by the secret leader of 2k, Sid Meier himself! Ed Beach is being held on a secret Island of the coast of India, where Gandhi has been living since he faked his own death; there he has been colluding with Sid Meier, and Russia to obtain as many nuclear warheads as possible. his plan is to cause World War Peace by launching nukes EVERYWHERE killing billions in a blood fuelled peace rage the likes of which havent been seen since Genghis Khan and Al Gore, no doubt the Noble Ed Beach was trying to warn us of Sid and Gandhi's evil plan of world peace through mass nuclear attack. we cant ask Gilgamesh, Pericles, or even Trajan for help as they have each been supplying Gandhi since the beginning. the Noble Ed Beach has the secret weapon to stopping Gandhi, but he hid it away just before being captured only he knows where and what it is, it is rumered to be guarded by none other than the Spirit of Teddy and his Rough Riders and they will ONLY answer to Ed himself.

the end is near if we cant find Ed 'the Hero' Beach in time to stop this sinister plot. Sean Bean help us all.

Wow, this thread proves it - we've run out of sensible things to talk about. Throw us some red meat re game content, 2K/Firaxis, for goodness sake.

Red Menace,

Alex Jones is at 9000 level all right. Just watch this video about him from the Young Turks channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_0f3n8wUHE

Good job guys inventing a more less likely conspiracy theory then this guy comes up with.
You are getting close but not quite there yet Red Menace :)

Well, I did not notice anything like that. I think I can read body language pretty well.

"Can we reveal it now? Why not". He smiled. Then, before he closed the window, he scrolled the leaders names further. Afterwards, he nodded his head and showed happiness to the other guy, in fact - something like "yes, we did it, and he nodded".

Anyways, all I am saying is he's just busy. His disappearance has nothing to do with it.

You totally misconstrued their actions. First there was a warning "we missed up" whisper, then he abruptly closed the window and finally, complete silence on the topic mid-thought. The smiles were sheepish rather than proud, " that was a big mistake :rolleyes:".

It was pretty awkward, I don't get how you saw your version of events at all.

i doubt he suddenly got so busy after being able to do a livestream that he isn't able to tweet, especially when he has been pretty casual about the length of those streams

anyone noticed any triangles?

i doubt he suddenly got so busy after being able to do a livestream that he isn't able to tweet, especially when he has been pretty casual about the length of those streams

The last livestream that Ed did was a couple weeks ago now. It might have been ok then. I doubt he can afford to do casual hour long livestreams now.

Top Bottom