The DYOS Consul (DYOS XI: 2009-2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The what?

The what?
Garry just moved Gmod to use Valve's Steampipe system. You're going to have to convert your games (HL2 and its episodes, DOD, CSS, HLDM and TF2) to a new version.

So you're going to have to opt into the Steampipe beta on some of your games. Some (CSS, DOD, and TF2) are already on Steampipe. The rest you're going to the games properties, go to the tab that says "beta" and select from the dropdown menu "Steampipe beta". For all of the games, to initialize the update/conversion. Just run each game once.

There's a chat if you need to talk more directly than thru CFC! /shameless advertising :mischief:

Garry just moved Gmod to use Valve's Steampipe system. You're going to have to convert your games (HL2 and its episodes, DOD, CSS, HLDM and TF2) to a new version.

So you're going to have to opt into the Steampipe beta on some of your games. Some (CSS, DOD, and TF2) are already on Steampipe. The rest you're going to the games properties, go to the tab that says "beta" and select from the dropdown menu "Steampipe beta". For all of the games, to initialize the update/conversion. Just run each game once.

Thanks, that solved most of my problems. I still can't load any of the maps from either Left 4 Dead game, but they don't seem to be running Steampipe beta so there's not a whole lot I can do about that.

Thanks, that solved most of my problems. I still can't load any of the maps from either Left 4 Dead game, but they don't seem to be running Steampipe beta so there's not a whole lot I can do about that.
L4D maps (unless they've been ported by a third party) won't work on Gmod due to the different engine version L4D is using. I'll forward you the maps that have been ported from L4D and works in Gmod :).

Anyone else having problems with the wiki, or do you all have 99 problems but the wiki ain't one?

Between the spambots and the now-chronic outages, I am strongly considering migrating to a new host. Apparently some months ago Wikkii was sold, and now tech support is virtually nonexistent.

Between the spambots and the now-chronic outages, I am strongly considering migrating to a new host. Apparently some months ago Wikkii was sold, and now tech support is virtually nonexistent.
So how would we go about migrating? We may have to find a host that would have the same sort of scripts that won't break when we migrate articles from one host to another.

Piss-simple, actually: if it runs MediaWiki software I can download literally the entire archives as a single file and then upload it to the new site.

As long as you don't mind waiting while I try to track one down... :mischief:

Another GMod question: What the hell happened to the "Save Game" button? it's like, not there. I seriously can't figure out how to save my games. and it's kinda freakin me out.

Another GMod question: What the hell happened to the "Save Game" button? it's like, not there. I seriously can't figure out how to save my games. and it's kinda freakin me out.
Click on the key you bind your spawn menu, then go under saves tab. Here's a video that goes more in depth:

Link to video.

Good ol' Big Name Software Innovation Ethos: Change it 'cuz you can.

Well, I was hoping to get everything done in one shot, but fortune has conspired against me. Lucky for you, though, we've still got a few comics left so I don't feel rushed. :mischief: Here's our current order of business.

Article 1

I know we reached a general consensus on the rules, but I wanna make this official with a formal vote.

2009|2013
A poster can contribute ONE comic every 12 hours, and no more than ONE comic by the same poster at a time. | Allow for at least one comic by a different poster between contributions when the thread is strongly active. No direct harm or spontaneous plot change involving another poster's character without said poster's consent. | No grievous harm or radical plot change involving another poster's character without said poster's consent. Maximum of 3 main characters per poster. Minor characters unlimited. | Limit main character roster to as small a group as feasible. Minor characters unlimited. Posters may use armies on the condition that they do not involve assaults against other posters. No army 'heroes', either. |
No flaming, period. Report infractions to a moderator.|No flaming, period. Report infractions to a moderator.
No unreasonable weapons or plot twists. | Keep plot devices reasonable. Avoid 'wonder weapons' and fantastic twists if they serve no greater purpose. NO time travel, NO parallel universes, and NO MAGIC. | NO time travel, and NO parallel universes.
NO POWERGAMING!|NO POWERGAMING!
Nothing forbidden by the CFC rules.|Nothing forbidden by the CFC rules.
Above all else: RESPECT THY FELLOW FORUMERS!|Above all else: RESPECT THY FELLOW FORUMERS!

This will take effect when XII is launched, and will be grandfathered into 10.5.

Article 2

Nominations for Consul, anyone? I was prepared to resign over the time travel arc, but on further consideration I shall renew my candidacy. :p For the newly-initiated, the Consul is the guy who creates the threads, (supposedly) manages all of these discussions, and is our ambassador to the mods. Run-off votes for Vice and Triumvir, A.K.A. Perfection.

Article 3

Before we can create XII, we need a Starting Comic. And while I have one in mind, it'd be nice to have a hook in XI to lead in to the new story. And that requires that we have a basic idea of how the new story starts. Consensus is POPA-SIPPA, but what are the facts of this premise?

There was vague talk about originating the bill in Coruscant, since it's the only country with the reach to be able to enforce such legislation at the global scale. Recent discussions have expounded on this as the Senate &c. basically doing its job while CG & Co. are fighting Mariko. Also gives CG an easy segue into the main plot once he's finished his civil war.

Article 4

Is it XII, or just DYOS? Reboot-style nomenclature has been the norm in games and movies recently, and Kan's suggestion that we make the one thread and just roll with it FORREST OF TIME appeals to me greatly.

Once again, a fresh Consulate will be posted and the old thread renamed and locked.

That's the pressing issues for the moment. Some time in future I will also post an inventory of damaged comics in all three threads. I've got two preconceived comics left to do, plus something special in honour of the new thread.

Huh, I never knew Consul was an actual position. :confused: Shouldn't the thread be a 'Consulate' then?

That said, I'm in favor of the changes to the rules and switching to a single DYOS thread, I'll back your candidacy, and the start for XII sounds like a good idea. Wish I could expound on more ideas for the start of XII, but I'm running out the door at the moment and will be back this evening.

New rules are fine

Thorvald for Dictator Consul

Nominates himself for Vice-Consul

Posted some ideas earlier in the thread, but was generally ignored.

Leans towards "DYOS Unnumbered" as opposed to "DYOSXII", but not really bothered either way

I cant vote yet! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom