The Empire of the Rising Sun

silver 2039

Deity
September 30, 1903

Financial Times London Edition

Tensions Mount on Russo-Japanese Border

Tensions were high after a border altercation between Japan and Russia today. The dispute, which began a year ago, over Manchuria, Korea, Sakhalin, and the Kurile Islands, has seen a naval build-up by both sides. The Japanese however outnumber the Russians with nine dreadnoughts to Russia’s five.

The Russo-Japanese border in Korea has been heavily entrenched. The Russians have seven divisions of Infantry deployed while the Japanese have four….

Story continued on page 4

On the Path to War?

A naval face off began near Sakhalin and the Kurile Islands. The Russians blockaded the Straits of Sakhalin preventing Japanese shipping. A Japanese fleet was immediately sent to the area and a standoff began. Many are now predicting that war will break out between the Russian Empire and the Empire of Japan.

It is unlikely that Japan would win such a confrontation, as superior Russian numbers would crush the Japanese Army…

Story continued on page 5

The Emperor disdainfully tossed the paper on the floor. “Rubbish, gentleman rubbish” he said to his assorted Generals and Advisors.

Tenno Matsuhito had been responsible for putting Japan on the path of industrialization and modernization. He had turned Japan into an industrial powerhouse capable of competing with the Western Powers.
He himself had studied in England and was foreign educated able to speak English, German, and French quite fluently. He was the face of the new modern Japan.

He turned to his Minister of Defense “What is the current state of our armed forces?” he questioned.
The Minister picked up several sheets are read from them “ Our army number twenty-five Infantry Divisions, and one Gataling Machine Gun division. We have a significant lack of machine guns, cavalry, and artillery.
Our navy meanwhile consists of nine capital ships of the Dreadnought-Class this is easily the largest force in the Pacific. Our costal defenses are made up of six costal batteries in Tokoyo, Sappro, the Kurile Islands, Taipei, and Fouchou.”
In our current state our Army can defend against any Russian attack on Korea or other Japanese territory and we are more than capable of annihilating the Russian fleet. However we would be unable to go on an offensive.”

The Emperor was silent for a moment “How long will it take to bring our Army up to the standard that it can defeat Russia?”
“Three years perhaps” Said the Minister of Defence uncertainely
“You have one”

Nobody ever takes notice of the astounding scenarios out there, so it's really refreshing to see a story based on one. Good luck and don't you dare stop this story!

Blaze Injun said:
Hey,

Needed a story and found a good one. :goodjob: Can we ask questions?

Blaze Injun

Yes you can.

Also I don't have much time to play so most of the updates will be on weekends. Perhaps one today or tommorw depending on when I finish my homework.

Hey,

Great! I can ask questions!:cooool:

Knowing nothing about this scenerio, just won't download right, is everything preset like a map of the time?

Question Time.

1. Is the tech tree changed? Love to see a early areoplane. The look of the early Dreadnoughts is great.

2. Do you believe in close up pictures of the war? Prebattle and Postbattle. Example: Coinich's story.

3. Will you be putting pictures of real soldiers and ships? This would be a great era for that. Photography was over 40 years old and would have action photos and not the dead after the battle type as the US Civil War had.
I can't get enough Imperial power pictures.:lol:

I understand that this will be a weekend run of stories. I have my boy on weekend and we will read this together.

Thanks for the wonderful openning.

Blaze Injun

This looks a little like World War I, God rest its soul. Keep it up, fellow NESer!

thats a good idea reporting the news through the news paper but coinich has you beat he uses tv

Blaze Injun said:
Hey,

Great! I can ask questions!:cooool:

Knowing nothing about this scenerio, just won't download right, is everything preset like a map of the time?

Question Time.

1. Is the tech tree changed? Love to see a early areoplane. The look of the early Dreadnoughts is great.

2. Do you believe in close up pictures of the war? Prebattle and Postbattle. Example: Coinich's story.

3. Will you be putting pictures of real soldiers and ships? This would be a great era for that. Photography was over 40 years old and would have action photos and not the dead after the battle type as the US Civil War had.
I can't get enough Imperial power pictures.:lol:

I understand that this will be a weekend run of stories. I have my boy on weekend and we will read this together.

Thanks for the wonderful openning.

Blaze Injun

1.Yes the tech tree is altered. The entire scenario is with World War I techs so you will be seeing all those units.

2. Yes my main focus will be on the battlefield as that intreasts me and I believe the readers the most.

3. Yes once important events begin happening I will try to find and put revelant historical pictures. This should help add to the historical feel of the story and scenario.

I will be able to update on frieday, as well as saturday so expect a few then. Sunday is still a bit dubious.

Hey,
Kool for the reply.

Question Time.

1. Could we have a picture of your tech tree.

2. Have you named any ships or units? Or does the game start with them named already? Just wondering. I looked up the Russo-Japanese war on google and many of the Russian ships had there names.

Blaze injun

October 29, 1904

The Emperor gazed at the men surrounding him around the conference table. They looked tired; all of them had the telltale signs of sleepless nights and hard days. They had been working hard for a year now to bring the Japanese Military up to the standard it needed to match Russia. Finally their hard work was coming into fruitation.

The Emperor cleared his throat
“Gentleman Japan for a longtime has been a inward looking nation living on the premise that we were a great nation waiting for our time to come. Over the past months we have had a jolt of reality. Our time has come. Events across the world have told us that it is time to finally take our rightful place as a new power. Japan has had a difficult history but always have we persevered and survived. We have given our people the lives that they deserve. We have created a new Japan. A Japan that no longer has to give in to threats of the imperialistic powers. A Japan that can shape its own destiny. It is time for us to awaken.”

The room was silent for a few seconds before all the generals, admirals, and advisors began fiercely applauding. The applause lasted for several more minutes before Matsuhito could speak again. “Now General Ikeda will outline our basic plan.”

General Ikeda bowed and stood up. Aides came in and set up several maps showing Northern Japan, Manchuria, Korea, and Sakhlin Island.
“Our attack is quite simple. We will immediately launch a surprise attack on Port Arthur. Our Dreadnoughts will destroy the local Russian fleet in the harbor and proceed to bombard the port. Meanwhile the 1st Imperial Army will smash Russian fortifications near the port using our new 155mm Artillery Batteries. Once the initial Russian defenses are smashed the port will be assaulted and occupied. Meanwhile the 2nd Imperial Army will assault Harbin. Once again the Russian defenses must be broken using artillery batteries and the city captured.

The 3rd Imperial Army will face the hardest fighting. It must break through Russian defenses near Valdivostock. The terrain is mountainous and hilly the fighting will be tough. That is why our fleet will aid them by imposing blockade and bombardment on Vladivostock. Another supplementary landing will be carried out north of the city to relieve and aid our forces. Once the city has fallen we will consolidate our positions and with the joint forces attack Mudken. At this point the fighting should be easier as the initial Russian garrisons have been broken. Our Navy will meanwhile be wiping out the remaining Russian fleet near Tushima and Sakhalin. Two further landings will be carried out against Southern Sakhalin and Khabovorsk both supported by blockade and bombardment.” He paused sipping a glass of water and clearing his throat “In short gentleman our aims are to smash the Russian Pacific Fleet annihilate the Russian Army of the Far East, seize Port Arthur, Eastern Manchuria, Southern Sakhalin, and the major Russian port cities within six months.”

The men around the tables looked grim. “Is this possible one of them asked?”
“Quite” said General Ikeda our military is quite capable now. Casualties will be significant but it is nothing the Japanese people are not willing to handle. Japan will persevere come what may.”

Tenno Matsuhito nodded “Very well then General. You have my approval for the glory of Japan execute Operation Rising Sun

Blaze Injun said:
Hey,
Kool for the reply.

Question Time.

1. Could we have a picture of your tech tree.

2. Have you named any ships or units? Or does the game start with them named already? Just wondering. I looked up the Russo-Japanese war on google and many of the Russian ships had there names.

Blaze injun

1. http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Tech_Tree.JPG

2. No all named ships or units are diffrent types from the scenario such as Gatling Gu or Setsu-Class Derdnought. I have'nt named anything.

Nice story.

nice story telling

Nice start!

Once you´ve captured those Russian cities, you might want to consider a renaming round... Like Mudken in reality is called Mukden (today: Shenyang). Also the sites of Mukden and Harbin are confused by whomever placed them there ( :D I think it´s been you since I have just downloaded that scen and there both cities are non-existent... ;) )
This issue makes an excellent casus belli (reason for war) to justify your attacks... :D

Anyway, good story! Keep us updated!

Top Bottom