The full list of Civilizations in Civ V!

Rather interesting that Iriquois are there. Wonder if that's being used as a buffer for Monty's rapid expansion into North America.

No Spain? and no Mongols? okay. Future DLC should be a big prize winner when they decide to charge for it. As well as whatever mods that will be allowed.

Got to admit, the graphics look great, as well as the uu's and ub's.

The leaderheads look gorgeous. I just hope fanmade ones are still possible.. Iroquois were an interesting choice. Perhaps it was good to put them in the first game before somebody said "All right. For the next expansion, we're probably gonna want to have some kind of native American tribe. I honestly don't feel like doing any research, so why don't we just call them the "Native Americans." We could do Sitting Bull as the leader, and for their unique building, we could do a Totem Pole. Any ideas for the unique unit?" "I think I head something about dog soldiers in history class or something." "Cool. We'll do it."

OK, so overall I'm happy with the news presented today, but a few minor disappointments.
1) I wish every civ had a unique building & a unique unit (I fear that the civs with 2 units are being encouraged to take a more militaristic path-rather than making each civ properly balanced!)

2) Some of the leader choices are less than ideal, IMHO. Most especially, I'd swap Pericles for Alexander the Great & Louis XIV for Napoleon.

Aussie.

Feelin' giddy now, that was so COOL. Good selections. Next expansion: Spanish, Inca, Mongolia, Ethiopia.

I could have sworn that Genghis Khan was mentioned in previews. I wonder what happened.

Honestly, I for one am glad the Iroquois are back. They were my favorite Civ in III (where they were also included before the expansion packs).

Damn, Napoleon is cool.:D

There will also be downloadable civs, wikipedia says the Babylonians are confirmed as the first one available.

Can you link, please?

It looks like the amount of animations and scripts that will go with leader interactions is enormous now. Modders are going to have a huge job if they even want to get close to the same quality. And it makes DLC microtransactions to buy extra civs very very believable IMO.

Damn, Napoleon is cool.:D

Can you link, please?

It looks like the amount of animations and scripts that will go with leader interactions is enormous now. Modders are going to have a huge job if they even want to get close to the same quality. And it makes DLC microtransactions to buy extra civs very very believable IMO.

That's not necessarily true. Leader-head animation in Civ4 was always the purview of a small sub-section of the modding community, & that didn't prevent a *huge* array of new leader-heads being put out. I doubt that this same sub-section will find these graphics any worse to mod than those of Civ4.

True, I admit I don't know much about leaderhead modding, but I would say a lot of the leaderheads modded for civ4 had that obvious look to them that they were redo's of the standard leaderheads. I recall seeing some that genuinely looked completely new, but even with civ4 I think overall modders have had trouble getting up to the Firaxis standard.

That's not necessarily true. Leader-head animation in Civ4 was always the purview of a small sub-section of the modding community, & that didn't prevent a *huge* array of new leader-heads being put out. I doubt that this same sub-section will find these graphics any worse to mod than those of Civ4.

i really hope u r right, i hope to be able to put out some cool units and LHs :D:D

Now I don't know how the mod community will be able to make new civs matching anything like these...

I suppose with massive talent, massive amounts of spare time, and some impressive 3d programs to complement, a few might be able to churn some high quality civs out.

Not only that, I believe that there are a wide variety of different backgrounds, animations, clothing, etc depending on the timeframe of game and area you are in. Will probably be quite a bit of work.

I think DLC Civ's may be a definite thing to expect from the quote that was given (PeaceOfMind posted):
Sid Meier's Civilization V players will enjoy the benefits of the Steamworks' features included in all PC versions such as auto-updating, Steam Achievements, downloadable content, multiplayer matchmaking and more.

"There will be eighteen civilizations available in the standard retail version of Civilization V. Additional civilizations will be available as DLC; so far Babylonia under Nebuchadnezzar II has been announced as a bonus civilization included in the Digital Deluxe Edition"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_V

Hmm, that link doesn't lead to any source confirming it is true. Unless they are being pedantic on that wiki by literally meaning that having one civ as DLC counts as having "additional civilizations" available as DLC.

So I don't think we need to sound the alarm bells just yet. :salute:

I suppose with massive talent, massive amounts of spare time, and some impressive 3d programs to complement, a few might be able to churn some high quality civs out.

Not only that, I believe that there are a wide variety of different backgrounds, animations, clothing, etc depending on the timeframe of game and area you are in. Will probably be quite a bit of work.

I think DLC Civ's may be a definite thing to expect from the quote that was given (PeaceOfMind posted):
Not just changes to backgrounds, full body animations, clothing, and timeframe; but also changes to mood. Theres the war and peace postures, the pleased and displeased, and ?? Then theres the speech. Alot of work involved in a leaderhead. LoL can't really call them leaderheads anymore. Need a new name.

I expect that there will be less complicated models in mods. If the choice exists.

I have no idea who the Songhai are, but the guy with the sword and the burning city looked cool.

Dare I say that Spain, Mongolia, Portugal and Vikings make better DLC than Iroquois and Songhai? Having said that, the 18 that are in are fine. It's the experience of the game that counts most for me and not whether civ X or civ Y is in. And hopefully there'll be an expansion pack (not DLC) that'll add a dozen more when that comes out. At the end of Civ4 BtS we also had a full set.

Two things:

*Champion Calvary?

*In my count France borders with 8 European nations (Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Spain and Andorra) not 6 or 7 as claimed on the website.

Top Bottom