The future of Fall from Heaven

if civ rev were reskinned, modded to ffh2 stand alone for ps3, i would buy it. if they sold Wildmana expansion, i would buy it.

So...

having been absent from the Civ scene for some time, I'd like to know if there is new stuff for:

FFH2?
If there's been good progress on the Civ V scene? Maybe another FFH-grade quality mod?

If not, has Kael's contribution to Elemental : War of Magic made the game actually fun and enjoyable?

And I wouldn't know about Elemental. I would go for the new game coming out, personally.
What game is that?

This is off-topic, but would anyone have recommendations for a TBS fantasy game? Also, I haven't played a fantasy CRPG since Ultima IV, what would be a good one to try?

I'm still playing Civ, although after an Orbis phase, I started playing History of 3 Kingdoms and am now playing straight BtS. My habit is to play a game (or mod of a game) for about 3 months, then I usually want a change of pace.

What game is that?

This is off-topic, but would anyone have recommendations for a TBS fantasy game? Also, I haven't played a fantasy CRPG since Ultima IV, what would be a good one to try?

I'm still playing Civ, although after an Orbis phase, I started playing History of 3 Kingdoms and am now playing straight BtS. My habit is to play a game (or mod of a game) for about 3 months, then I usually want a change of pace.

For TBS,

I really like HoMM V (HoMM stands for 'Heroes fo Might and Magic) now that all of the patches are out; HoMM III is also excellent. Old timers like me still really like Master of Magic although it may be hard to get it to work on a modern computer. Age of Wonders II was solid. I'm sure there are lot of other good ones I haven't played. Disciples II has good ratings and reviews, but I persoanlly wan't copelled by it.

For a CRPG, you have a lot of good choices:

As far as RPG's, lots and lots. Baldur's Gate and it s sequels were real good, including Neverwiter Nights one and two. Planescape: Torment is often considered the best by people liking story orieted RPG's. The adaptation to Star Wars in the far past of the movies, Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) I and II, were also very good. (unfortunatley, the ending of KOTOR II was rushed and it may have spoiled an otherwise great game).

I really like The Elder Scrolls series, mostly if you like very large and well developed worlds, and version III, Morrowind, had me playing for years. The sequel, Oblivion, got rave reveiws mostly (I haven't played it).

Dragon Age: Origins has won a lot of awards recently and also had good reviews, but I haven't played them yet.

Thre are of course a lot of others, but all of the names above nto only are good but also have a lot of support, help, and analysis if you need it.

Best wishes,

Breunor

The expansion to Elemental; Apparently it will be stand-alone. Of the two, it's likely seen more input from Kael.
Thanks. If it is stand-alone, and is more Kael-based as opposed to Stardock, then it should be worthwhile. Elemental was of some interest at first, but the reviews and the chatter (even in the official forums) was not encouraging.

@Breunor: Thanks for the detailed post. I've started looking at some of your recommendations. Morrowind sounds good and Amazon has the Game of the Year edition (base game + 2 expansions) for $29.95. Planescape was also one of AD&D's most unique game settings and exploring that in-game would be interesting.

Funny you should mention Disciples II: I own it. Liked the game, but it was never a compulsion like Warlords II and Alpha Centauri were, and Civ IV is now.* It also has limited replay value once you go through the scenarios and campaigns. You can't randomly generate a map and play like those other games. Remember reading a review of Disciples III and not liking what was mentioned, which is why I'm not playing it now.

Master of Magic is mentioned in FfH II since Kael made the Tower victory condition as a tribute to that game, but I've never played it. I'll look up Heroes of Might and Magic V now that I'm at home. Thanks again!

* Stardock's GalCiv II is also in the enjoyable but not compelling category for me. It's a decent space 4x game, but the game play isn't as engrossing as Civ. OTOH, if my old tower's CD-ROM drive still worked, I'd play SMAC. Crazy about that game.

It isn't 'weird', it is a matter of RL! It is in the queue ....

Best wishes,

Breunor

if you liked Master of Magic, you should def. try Master of Mana from Sephi, standalone for ffh, successor of WM...

Greez,

Tschuggi

Given that Kael is working for StarDock now, the odds of that are vanishingly small.

Someone else may make an FfH inspired mod for Civ5 (though I am not aware of any modteam planning to do so), but it cannot use the Fall from Heaven name; Kael's one request was simply that FfH only be used for official projects.

Given that Kael is working for StarDock now, the odds of that are vanishingly small.

Someone else may make an FfH inspired mod for Civ5 (though I am not aware of any modteam planning to do so), but it cannot use the Fall from Heaven name; Kael's one request was simply that FfH only be used for official projects.
Hopefully, Kael's secret project will come to fruition, either with Stardock or another game company.

Personally, I feel that creating an FfH mod without Kael would be wrong; FfH has had an amazing life in Civ4, but we should allow for some fresh faces in Civ5. Who knows? Someone may come up with something to rival FfH, or even surpass it.
Agreed. Erebus & FfH was Kael's world and modders need to respect that. However, they can take inspiration from what he has done, and try to equal or surpass him in mod-making.

Personally, I have some ideas for Civ IV (don't have Civ V), but I only have limited XML knowledge, and no Python knowledge, so programming a mod like FfH is beyond my scope. So I just tinker with the basic game or other people's mods.

Sadly with me, my work ethic is.. only good when being paid or laid. XD
What I really want to see is another game that doesn't just ultimately go 'Balance balance balance.. ' I want 'flavor flavor flavor' where this nation is weak as hell on land, but the strongest in the sea, etc.

Top Bottom