The golden balls of Babylon

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylandPaddy

Chieftain
ok this is my first post so go easy on me.
This is a riddle.

A man was going to a bazar in Babylon to sell 3 golden balls that he possessed. just outside the city, he came across an old wooden rope bridge that spanned a massive gorge 500 feet deep, 400 feet wide and 10 miles long. the bridge can only support a weight of 100 Kg. the man weighs 99 Kg and EACH golden ball weighs 1 Kg. he needs to sell ALL of the golden balls to feed his family. the bazar is only on for one night.
-he cant take one ball at a time over cos it will take too long.
-he cant walk around gorge cos it will take too long.
-he cant throw them, cos too far and their too heavy.
-he cant roll them across cos rope bridge sags in the middle.

How does he do it?:confused:

He has each daughter who happen to be travelling with him take one ball across at a time and then walks over himself!

This probably belongs in forum games, but why not.

He should just cut down the bridge, gather up all the rope, throw those balls on his back and swing across like tarzan. Thats the best I got.

There is I assume some sort of logical method, but I'd think his clothes might take away the weight or his flesh as said above. Maybe he could just knock out some of the planks.

He exercises quickly until he loses 3 Kg worth of weight.

1. secure 2 of the balls to the bridge.
2. walk across with one of them.
3. wait for a heavy person to step onto the bridge.
4. when it collapses, pull up the bridge with the attached balls
5. thank the deceased heavy person
easy :)

He juggles them as he walks across?

Or... He takes a massive dump before he walks across?

I suspect that this is the 'correct' answer, but neglects the fact that the net force imposed by catching each ball is actually higher than the dead-weight of each ball.
Yeah, I suppose you can juggle them "side to side" though, so avoiding putting the 'throwing' force downwards onto the bridge, and instead just making it sway side to side a bit. You'd have to be a hell of a juggler to juggle 3x 1kg gold balls side to side for 10 miles on an old wooden rope bridge though.

If I had 3kg of gold and a bridge design that could span 10 miles, I'd rule the world.

Anyway, he should flatten the soft gold into a single wing, hold it above his head, and run across the bridge really fast.

Though cthom has the second best answer.

He gets three 500 foot lengths of string and only lifts one ball at a time, swinging it foward?

He ties the end of each rope to a ball then crosses and drags the balls over?

He makes himself royally sick, has a lengthy visit to the loo and spends the rest of the day wrapped in plastic jogging in the desert to sweat off water. Deranged with dehydration he crosses the bridge and sells the gold. He then uses his new found wealth to have the guy who built the second rate bridge tortured in some symbolic manner, although possibly after buying an ice-cold drink.

the bridge is only 400 feet long thus the gorge is 400 feet wide
its the gorge that is 10 miles LONG not wide
u silly people

i must critizise my own work, like how did he know the bridge can on support 99 kg.
anyway he could of just used the helicopter...did i forget to mention that?

I find it silly to assume that at the time when there was a marketplace in Babylon, there were ebay and helicopters available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom