1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

The Great War

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Sarevok, Jan 25, 2004.

?

What do you think of this scenario?

1. Its Great! one of the best out there!

261 vote(s)
    54.6%
  2. Its a good scenario

119 vote(s)
    24.9%
  3. Its ok

40 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. I dont like it

58 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Just what it says, the pediacon is missing for the engineer. This could mean it has no entry or that there is a finger check and it is not spelled correctly. I played this awhile back, so there should be a post about this entry on how to correct it.

Check the units folder for Engineer and see how it is spelled and make an entry in the pediacon for the missing one or match the spelling.

2. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

This error also happens, if you try to play this scenario on a non-English localization of Civ3. (This is because of the brain-dead way Firaxis translated even the file names of resources, animations etc into other languages, when localizing the game... :()
    There are ways to fix it, but it is probably less effort, if you just go to eBay and buy an English version of C3C... (That's what I did after spending hours adjusting The Great War, the SGOTM mod, the Pirates scenario and the Hinge Of Fate WW II scenario to my German C3C installation...)

3. steffenopolis

steffenopolis Chieftain

Ill have to check the spelling I guess. I have an English version, so who knows what the mistake is.

4. steffenopolis

steffenopolis Chieftain

Im not sure if its a glitch. The engineer is listed in the pedia icons but I cant find it listed in the art file. Maybe deleting the file it will work. Only one way to find out.

5. steffenopolis

steffenopolis Chieftain

I have been playing a great deal of this game and loving it. The only thing I don't understand is I can't build roads/rail through the mountains. Would be great if There were mountain troops that could fight in mountains.

6. Michael484

Michael484 Chieftain

why are all the mods for conquest there are amlost none for Civ3 or PTW

7. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I would like to necro this thread on 100 anniversary of the Great War. If someone still wants to play this and is having problem with downloading here is the working link for .biq file

https://www.mediafire.com/?t6ybtsr18jce0rv

8. Korsar.T

Korsar.T Chieftain

Thank you very, very much for uploading the .biq file. I was so desperate to find it and I really rue it that I deleted all the mods and scenarios last year 'cause I thought I would never ever play it again...

BIG THANKS! (One of the nest scenarios in my opinion)

9. Potomacker

Potomacker Chieftain

I've been replaying this Great Wat scenario and I've encountered a glitch. My workers, regardless of role, are unable to 'clear damage'. The option is missing from the buttons and the hot key shift+D also doesn't work. I notice that the nonplayers' workers can clear damage.
    Does anybody know how to rectify this annoyance?
    I thank any help in advance.
    -Potomacker :thanx:

10. mspeers

mspeers Chieftain

Does anyone have the biq with the full version? Like all of the independent countries instead of just neutrals, full units, etc.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Archivist, redux Supporter

Ditto that: it's one that was irretrievably lost from the Archive's destruction.

12. mspeers

mspeers Chieftain

AIs always seem to have the uncanny ability to do things the player cannot. For whatever reason, the clear damage worker action is on the last technology, WW1 Experience. I ended up changing it in the map/scenario editor, it was very frustrating.

In my game I already was playing, I ended up using a save editor to just give me the last tech so I could clear the huge amount of pollution and damage.

Lemme know if you need any help with changing it

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  13. Lanzelot

I still happen to have the Scenario on my old Civ computer (it was the first one I downloaded, when I joined the forum in 2007... :old:)

So here is the .biq file.

Attached Files:

14. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Sorry for necromancy, but I thought, that not only me could be interested in this one. I found the scenario on my old pc and decided to give it a try. I updated almost all graphics with the scenario with modern units from the database. Screenshots under the cut.

Spoiler :
    upload_2021-2-19_2-4-53.png upload_2021-2-19_2-5-8.png upload_2021-2-19_2-5-20.png upload_2021-2-19_2-5-30.png upload_2021-2-19_2-5-40.png
    upload_2021-2-19_2-5-49.png

The main problem so far is tha there's a lot of generic WWI units in the scenario, and I couldn't find enough generic stuff in database. So, some graphics is not from apropriate era (combat engineer, anti-aircraft gun) or use nation-specific graphics as generic (alliance machnegunner is represented by german machinegunner). This is especially true for ships. All Dreadnought variants are represented by british ships, for example.

Civinator informed me, that Sarevok and Rocoteh wouldn't be against such an update, so, I hope, there won't be any problems, if I share it. However, I don't know, how far should I go. Should it only be graphical update without touching anything else? Or should I add some flavor units, like country-specific infantry for Balcan Nations? Or even make some minor mechanics editions, like removing "sea trade" from harbors to reduce turn latency? Also, there's a couple of things, which I will be editing for my personal use. For example, having paratroopers and carriers in WWI scenarior always seemed a bit wrong for me.

This is still WIP, and I am open to suggestions, esepcially on which graphics for which unit is most apropriate. This is main .biq only, not the division.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Node60 and Snodmaulvenn like this.
  15. Lanzelot

I remember one glitch in the scenario, we discovered when playing this in a PBEM: the civilopedia mentioned that teargas (?) could be upgraded to mustard gas (?) (don't recal the exact names atm), but then during actual gameplay, the upgrade button simply was not there for the teargas unit. If you can find that, it would be worth fixing that. (My whole strategy in that game revolved around a major break-through on the Western Front once I had beelined to the tech that allows mustard gas...)

16. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Fixed it. "Upgrade" flag on tear gas was unchecked. Are there any more suggetions on improving gameplay?

I checked a couple of pages in these threads and Rocoteh has been taking about improvements there, like better Russian infantry, higher VP limit, weaker Zeppelins, etc. Would it be appropriate to adress these issues too?

EDIT: Also, Kaiserjagers are a bit confusing. Aren't they kind of Autsro-Hungrian riflemen of 19th century? And civilopedia describe Kaiserjager's role exactly as if they were Sturmtruppen. Correct me, if I wrong, but I am not good at history. If I am right, I can simply rename kaiserjagger to sturmtruppen and update graphics accordingly.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  17. Lanzelot

As far as I know, the Kaiserjäger (not Kaiserjager...) were an elite unit recruited from the area of Tirol (in the Alps) which were particularly well-suited for Alpine warfare (front against Italy). With the end of the Monarchy 1918 and the abdication of the Austrian Kaiser, this branch of service was renamed to Gebirgsjäger. The same branch later also existed in the German Bundeswehr after 1955. (Don't know, whether it still exists today, though.)

"Jäger" basically is an expression for elite troops, stemming from the time of the Napoleonic Wars (von Lützows Wilde Jäger...), and is used in both, "Fallschirmjäger" (Fallschirm = parachute) and "Gebirgsjäger" (Gebirge = mountains).

18. Node60

Node60 Prince

I may be wrong, but Jägger is just one of the traditional (German) designations for light infantry.

19. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

:yup: Yes, Sturmtruppe (unit created by imperator1961) in my eyes would be the correct unit, when looking at the prerequisite tech (Kaiserschlacht) and the stats of that unit.

The needed tech for that unit is 'Kaiserschlacht'. This was one of the terms used for the German 1918 Spring Offensive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Offensive

Sturmtruppen were a big part of those operations.

May be the wrong name 'Kaiserjäger' results from the fact, that at the time when this scenario was created, there wasn´t existing a proper unit for the 'Sturmtruppen', but a unit for early WW1 trench infantry named 'Kaiserjäger: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-wwi-ground-unit-kaiserjäger.49857/

20. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

'Jäger' was German military term that originally referred to light infantry, but has come to have wider usage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jäger_(infantry)

A correct German substitution for the German 'Umlauts' ä and ü would be ae or ue, in that case 'Kaiserjaeger'. I try to use these substitutions in my mods and scenarios, as the German umlauts are sometimes triggering problems, when the mods or scenarios are being played on pcs with non-latin letters (especially cyrillic letters).

Example: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/storm-over-europe-soe.454785/page-10#post-15659973