1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hall of Players

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Seraiel, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Right, I'd forgotten about that. :goodjob:
    Tachywaxon's thread indicates that a Cautious, Pleased, or Friendly Mansa will always give into a resource demand.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11988491&postcount=62

An accepted demand would also initiate a 10 turn peace treaty. :(

The best way to get Mansa Annoyed with the Human master civ before demanding resources?
    Hrmm :hmm:

Does the player have any nukes?
    And is Mansa Pleased or Friendly with the last remaining AI?
    If so, DoWing the last AI and dropping nukes would give -2 diplo for every nuke for "nuking their friend".
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159814

There isn't enough time to build up -10 "Your Spy was caught causing trouble" on Quick speed.

Honestly, I don't see a reasonable way to win this game.
    A vassal launching a Space Ship on Quick Speed is a worst-case, nightmare scenario.

Since it is HoF game, we can't even ask to see the game directly either.

2. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Chieftain

Thanks for the advice so far! My playing time is extremely limited these days, but hopefully today or tomorrow I can try everything available to make him Annoyed. If I can do that, I'll see what I can do to get the land and power ratios closer to even.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

3. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Chieftain

Well, I guess it was just impossible.

I couldn't complete Step 1, which was to make Mansa annoyed. Even after canceling OB and switching out of Free Market, there were too many plus mods. I knocked him down from Friendly to Pleased, but that's it. :sad:

Now I know I can't allow ANY civ to research Fusion. I'm just not sure how I could've accomplished that in this game. Somewhere along the way, I probably should've razed some of Suleiman's core cities. The main reason I didn't was because I was already sitting at the edge of the Dom limit. Even letting Joao's borders expand when an Ottoman city was razed would've been risky.

Damn. What a waste. :cry:

4. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

sounds like a fun and certainly memorable and educational game.
    better luck next game.

5. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

6. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Heya Seraiel. :wavey:

7. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

A random mechanics question:

Lincoln is trading Ivory to Gandhi for copper, which is Lincoln's only source of metals. If I pillage both Lincoln's sources of Ivory, does this terminate their agreement immediately? Or can he still get out some last metal units between turns? Lincoln acts before Gandhi, if this makes any difference.

8. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

The deal will be cancelled, but I don't know if turnorder actually plays any role, because of some experiments I made when I tried to improve the GPT-trick.

9. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Thanks! I ended up taking another path though, so never saw what would have happened. Unfortunately I chose the path of doom and attacked the wrong opponent... :( First time I've abandoned a HoF game that had already progressed that far.

It was an interesting game though. Kublai, Deity/Standard/Epic, aiming for conquest. I was about to attack Lincoln a lot earlier when I got surprised DoWed by Roosevelt. That was about the worst thing that could happen, since he had lots of metal resources and a ton of metal units (he was supposed to be taken out much later with elepult). My Keshiks were running around him in circles to lure his units out of his cities and eventually I did manage to beat him down to one small city and get all his techs for peace.

After this I was going to go ahead with the Lincoln DoW. My Keshik army took some severe beating from Roosevelt, but Lincoln only had a couple of archers/city and some chariots and pults. Then he got the metal trade and all his cities started pumping metal units every turn. Apparently they want to have a certain amount of counter units and he did nothing but built units to quickly reach that level once he got metals. By using a GG for a morale Keshik I could have pillaged all his ivory on T0 of the war, which was what I considered. The annoying thing was that he only had ivory because I gifted him a pop 1 jungle ivory city I had taken from Freddy. When Roosevelt DoWed he would have taken that city (and prolonged refuseToTalk duration) had I not gifted it away.

Anyway, I never went to war with Lincoln, instead I decided to go for Isabella. I feared she could get Feudalism soon and I already had a few elephants and pults in my core that could help with that attack. Took half of her cities and slaughtered a ton of units in the field, but eventually my army was decimated and I reached the conclusion that there was no way I could beat her.

Oh well, now I'm one deity loss wiser. I'm still going to get that slot from you Seraiel! ;)

10. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Not really. You can always pillage a resource from your side or destroy tile improvement on their side (spy). The trade will be canceled next turn.

@elitetroops

That standard epic conquest slot is relatively weak. I wouldn't take Isabella next time (stubborn, zealot, unit spammer in practice, super early Oracles).

11. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Yeah, I think the slot would deserve a BC date. Haven't had a chance to play another game yet. Maybe next week. Not sure if I should go for Keshiks again or pick someone with a stronger economy for faster elephants. Kublai's starting scout makes early worker stealing a lot more difficult...

12. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Is it normal that the overflow from building a forge is divided by the forge multiplier? I just 4 popped a forge with 21 hammers invested, city doing 3 hpt after whip, 2 forests chopped into forge same turn and expected 84 raw hammers in overflow. Instead I got 67 = 84/1.25... :confused::confused::confused: I've never noticed this before. Does other hammer multiplier buildings rob you of overflow hammers in the same way?

I have a very good game going, but this lost overflow delays MoM by 2 turns, at already a very risky date. If the wrong person builds it things are about to get a lot more complicated... :gripe:

13. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

yea, that's how it works. Any hammer building will rob you the same way. You can sometimes take advantage of this feature by reversing it.
    I've never done it, but I think it goes something like this: Whip Walls, gift away or sabotage your stone. Enjoy double base hammers.

Another way would be to whip a building under OrgRel, then switch to Pacifism or something.

Same with Police State when whipping a military unit.

14. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Okay, thanks. Good to know. In other words, never chop into a forge whip.

Luckily this only cost me the 17 hammers. Didn't lose MoM. :whew:

15. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Been quiet around here for a while, hope some of you will particpate in the newly announced Challenger Series - Fall of the Incas, there's even a new page on the HOF Website to go with it!

16. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi folks - please check out my post on getting the War Academy for Civ 4 updated, I'm sure there lots of useful threads in the HOF forums that should be included.

17. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Fall of the Incas. Yay, I got one :)

Very lucky with the RNG, but that's what it takes. First map rolled and first try too, so very lucky indeed :D

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  18. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Trying for another one, but it's too extreme. Way too much luck needed, and not just with the RNG. But at least I've submitted a few games now. Been a while... :o A year almost to the day.

19. Noble Zarkon

Good to have you back, just doing the update now.

20. Noble Zarkon

I've added a tab to the Fall of the Incas page where you can see Incan #1s and filter by Difficulty/Speed/Size/Condition.

Pangaea likes this.