The "I Got A New Game!" Thread

So my first impression of Battlefield 2 is that it is about grenade spam. I'm already regretting the $10 I shelled out for it. Does it get better?

So my first impression of Battlefield 2 is that it is about grenade spam. I'm already regretting the $10 I shelled out for it. Does it get better?

I liked BF2 a lot back in the day. With a full server and teamwork it was pretty fun. I'm guessing you're talking turret mounted grenade launchers? Headshots you help with that. Make sure there is a decent sniper on your team.

For $10 today, I'd get BC2 over BF2 unless you just wanted to be retro.

No I meant more like:

Player 1 [Hand Grenade] Player 2
Player 1 [Hand Grenade] Player 3
Player 4 [Hand Grenade] Player 1
Player 6 [Hand Grenade] Player 3

..and I can't believe the entire kill feed was like that. Where the hell was the awesome mass infantry combat those BF2 veterans were gushing about in Karkand? Or don't tell me: this was what they were raving about.

I don't know how it is now, but I have 793 hours on my BF2 account.
19 hours on Strike at Karkand, wich is BY FAR the lamest map of the game.

It's for the kids who don't realize the BF series is about big maps and vehicles and want to turn it into generic fps n. 89736.
For some reason it has always been the most popular map, mostly because it provides the highest score per minute with grenade spam, ammo bags, claymore spamming and revive whoring. So basically the Karkand fanatics mostly care about their stats and not about good gameplay.

I stopped playing a couple years ago and it was very hard to find servers with good map rotations WITHOUT karkand at some point. So I suppose it must be almost impossible to avoid it now.

If you like urban combat, try Mashtuur City and Sharqi Peninsula.
Or, even better, get Special Forces. I have 530 hours on SF (vs 224 on vanilla BF2) because it does everything better: night maps, Ghost Town wich is the best urban map, close quarter carnage on Iron Gator.
But I don't know how's the population at this point. Probably deserted with only some Warlord and Ghost Town servers.

Picked up Greed Corp for £1.99 in the Steam sale and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It's a reasonably short independent game (took me about 8 hours to complete) but it's refreshing to play something that actually requires you to think for a change rather than just being a gritty brown and gray modern shooter-a-thon #12903.

It utilises hex based game tiles for a deceptively simple goal of "wipe out the enemy forces" but a lot of the time requires careful planning. The story is practically non-existant though and, other than aesthetics, there's no real difference between the factions. Despite the flaws I enjoyed this game more than pretty much any of the AAA games I've bought of late.

No I meant more like:

Player 1 [Hand Grenade] Player 2
Player 1 [Hand Grenade] Player 3
Player 4 [Hand Grenade] Player 1
Player 6 [Hand Grenade] Player 3

..and I can't believe the entire kill feed was like that. Where the hell was the awesome mass infantry combat those BF2 veterans were gushing about in Karkand? Or don't tell me: this was what they were raving about.

At most it was like platoon on platoon. My favorite maps usually resolved around Humvees and infantry, though I can't recall the name of my favorite one.

The most fun in "mass infantry" that I had in those days was a Joint Operations (different game) mod called International Conflict in which they upped the standard 32 vs 32 to around 100 vs 100. But in that game vehicle turret nade spam could be a problem.

My Steam Shopping was:

American Conquest (dirt cheap). Kind of meh Age of Empies for the colonial era, but nice history presentations in the campaign starts.

Polynomial (dirt cheap). Didn't like the demo, haven't played it yet, but I'm a sucker for music-derived games that play your own MP3.

Rome: Total War. Really liked the demo at original release. Only played it a few hours: kind of fun, though AI and pathing is very dated. Graphics are a bit lame, and strategy shell is bit obtuse. Big points for atmosphere. Would be a great Civ4 mod.

Shogun 2 Total War. Bought it on the graphics, big discount, and strength of a few hours with R:TW. Looking forward to it.

Picked up Greed Corp for £1.99 in the Steam sale and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It's a reasonably short independent game (took me about 8 hours to complete) but it's refreshing to play something that actually requires you to think for a change rather than just being a gritty brown and gray modern shooter-a-thon #12903.

It utilises hex based game tiles for a deceptively simple goal of "wipe out the enemy forces" but a lot of the time requires careful planning. The story is practically non-existant though and, other than aesthetics, there's no real difference between the factions. Despite the flaws I enjoyed this game more than pretty much any of the AAA games I've bought of late.

I had seriously thought about getting that but went with Demolition, Inc. instead. Haven't played it yet but it looks like fun. I'll probably get Greed Corp. next time it's on sale.

GOG.com for Stronghold: Crusader :D

The new game I've been playing recently is Nitronic Rush. It's a survival-style racing game. The basics are in the style of Trackmania, only you have big mechanical things trying to destroy you and you can jump and fly. It's a lot of fun, and as an added bonus it's free.

Don't be intimidated by the "medium to high end" video card requirement, either. I wasn't sure if it would run on my four and a half year old video card with half the required memory, but figured it couldn't hurt to try, and surprisingly it's very smooth.

Picked up Dungeon Defenders on the 1 day sale. Pretty good game so far if you like online multiplayer. It's a hybrid of a fantasy Action-RPG and tower defense, with no questing just story. But basically it's an action-oriented tower defense with RPG classes.

I bought and played Assassin's Creed Revelation PC 2 days ago.

As a stand-alone game, it is fun, exciting game of free-running and killing stuff.
As the fourth game to the Assassin's Creed series, it is a little disappointing. In terms of gameplay, not that much has changed from Brotherhood. It's the same few missions and side-quest packaged in another storyline and setting. In fact, it also lacks a few things, like the Secret Locations in AC2 and the Wolf Lairs and Leonardo's Machines in AC:Brotherhood.
However, if anything the last memory sequence was totally worth the waiting and paying. Seeing how Altair and Ezio's final moments and the answers to the game's mysterious storyline in the final cutscene made it worth it.

Plus the thought of ultra-Greek Nationalists trying to reconcile helping the Ottomans defeat a Byzantine Restoration is always good fun.

I give it an A- to B+

Orcs Must Die. Orcs Must Die. So, so satisfying.

About AC:Revelation... I finished AC: Brotherhood this year and honeslty, in retrospect, it felt more like a task than fun. I mean, the game IS (or was, at the time) the best Assassin's Creed game, but it's still... Almost exactly the same as previous ones, still underusing its environment. Something was bland about it, maybe the fact that it happened in Rome and virtually only Rome. I don't know. Personally I like the background story of Desmond and the exploration of ancestors' memories, but I really have had enough of Ezio. They are making more games with him and he is overstaying his welcome, and the background story is manipulated so as to advance very little in the meantime. Seriously, almost nothing happened in the Desmond story in AC2 Brotherhood except the very end bit. Almost no new information or anything. In the meantime you are just Ezio doing the same crap over and over again. Now Revelation seems exactly like Brotherhood except with a beard, a bit of Altair, and a grappling hook. I'm thinking of just watching the beginning and the end on YouTube.

Played Skyrim for a few hours. I'm kinda dissapointed; maybe it takes a lot more time to get into. Nice landscapes tho.
Oh and dual casting is cool.

Got Bastion off a Steam daily deal the other day. I love it.

EDIT: Also got the Killing Floor and Left 4 Dead bundles. Damn you, Steam...

Kan gifted me Skyrim on Steam, cause he's awesome like that.

:thanx: Kan!

Top Bottom