[RD] The Last Jedi – Another Cold Rehash

I agree that this whole "filling in the blanks with novels and other media most people won't read or watch" is a stupid approach that I highly dislike. However, I remain convinced that the movies can stand on their own, and that so far they have.
And I think the movies can stand on their own and so far have! I offered some critiques of the movie but from this you'd think I had denounced Episode VIII and burned Rey in effigy. /s

And I think the movies can stand on their own and so far have! I offered some critiques of the movie but from this you'd think I had denounced Episode VIII and burned Rey in effigy. /s
AN UNBELIEVER!
PERSECUTE! KILL THE HERETIC!

Yes, it's very easy to sound right when you try to boil it down to a vague synopsis with zero specifics.
Well then, let’s look at some specifics. The movie starts with one of the good guys, who are fighting an asymmetric war with the bad guys, obtaining a necessary map that gets plugged into a droid. The bad guys begin an immediate space pursuit, necessitating dumping the droid on a desert planet. There the droid, after some encounters with scavengers, starts looking for a legendary jedi and meets up with a local orphan. This orphan is more than initially appears as the orphan turns out to be an accomplished pilot and fighter despite growing up on the far side of galaxy. The orphan and droid, along with some new friends, flee the desert planet in the Millennium Falcon, hoping to hook up with some of the other good guys. Along the way, they meet Han Solo, who happens to be fleeing some nasty organized crime interests. They visit an alien bar. Our orphan gets a green laser sword. The female lead gets captured and interrogated by a guy in a black mask. A peaceful planet gets blown up. The guy in a black mask kills a defenseless father figure with a red laser sword. All of this leads up to a giant, round space station targeting a world-killing weapon at the good guys’ home base which can only be stopped by piloting a snubnose fighter into a trench.

Well then, let’s look at some specifics. The movie starts with one of the good guys, who are fighting an asymmetric war with the bad guys, obtaining a necessary map that gets plugged into a droid. The bad guys begin an immediate space pursuit, necessitating dumping the droid on a desert planet. There the droid, after some encounters with scavengers, starts looking for a legendary jedi and meets up with a local orphan. This orphan is more than initially appears as the orphan turns out to be an accomplished pilot and fighter despite growing up on the far side of galaxy. The orphan and droid, along with some new friends, flee the desert planet in the Millennium Falcon, hoping to hook up with some of the other good guys. Along the way, they meet Han Solo, who happens to be fleeing some nasty organized crime interests. They visit an alien bar. Our orphan gets a green laser sword. The female lead gets captured and interrogated by a guy in a black mask. A peaceful planet gets blown up. The guy in a black mask kills a defenseless father figure with a red laser sword. All of this leads up to a giant, round space station targeting a world-killing weapon at the good guys’ home base which can only be stopped by piloting a snubnose fighter into a trench.
Mel Brook's Spaceballs?

Point of order... the lazer sword isn't remotely green... Also the meeting of Han Solo doesn't occur after they flee the desert planet on the way to meeting up with the other good guys, in both films...

jeez get it right, Gah! :rolleyes: Have you even seen Star Wars?? :p

Like there's nothing like Finn in the originals, showing members of the empire to have a human side to them. In originals they were all masked faces.
Pretty much the reason I'll continue to watch the films even if plot points are repeated. I really want them to explore the dynamic of being a defector from the villains.

Flinn was a cool character. Rey was too. I'm conflicted on Kylo, he's not threatening or powerful enough on the one hand but on the other he's demented and cruel in a way Vader actually wasn't.

Except that time with the Padawans. But that was as much a practical move as a cruel one. ;)

Flinn was a cool character. Rey was too. I'm conflicted on Kylo, he's not threatening or powerful enough on the one hand but on the other he's demented and cruel in a way Vader actually wasn't.

Except that time with the Padawans. But that was as much a practical move as a cruel one. ;)
It's "Finn" not "Flinn"... FN-2187, get it right... Jeez hobbs, that plus the younglings thing... get your squeeze together :p

Kylo Ren is basically an Anakin re-do. He's everything the PT Anakin should have been, but they failed us for the last time...

The Force Awakens Bad Lip Reading made sure that i can never take Kylo Seriously....

The Twitter account Emo Kylo Ren made sure I can never take Kylo Ren seriously. Of course, I didn't take him seriously while sitting in the theater either.

Yeah but that finger puppet scene in bad lip reading...."I made you a buuuuurd!"

Darth Vader became a Terminator in Rogue One, remember.

It's more or less havily implied (if not outright stated/hinted at by holoSnoke) that the emotional/spiritual imbalance between the Light and Dark sides of the Force is also weakening Kylo Ren, which is why he kills
Spoiler :
Han Solo

in order to destroy one side.

Vader was vicious but not cruel. I know it's not a big distinction but Kylo has a sadistic streak. When Vader is on a rampage it's all mechanical; he's taking care of business. Kylo enjoys tooying with, taunting and emotionally manipulating his victims. Vader just ends them.

Top Bottom